It is just me, or... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It is just me, or...

It seems like lately a lot of new members are asking for 600 hp + street motors. Has the old 1 hp per cubic inch changed for a good street motor? I'm taking about, jump in it and run motors. Is solid roller cams, 11 to 1 compression, all running on 91-octane fuel common now?

It seems like everyone now likes to push the compression ratio limit to the max now. How much power are you actually losing going a little lower on the compression, especially if your engine detonates with the higher ratio?

Just observing how many people actually take care of their engines, and do all the necessary modifications to the rest of the car to take 600 hp and 600 ft of torque, it seems like bad advice sometimes to some of the new members on building a 600 + hp "street" motor.

That being said, how can I get 700 hp? :mrgreen:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Considering what guys are doing with LS1's and LS2s...you pretty much have no business with a 450hp "street" 460 anymore, at least IMO.

Basically, with a $400 stroker crank and decent heads...it's become a bolt together affair to do 600hp, so that is what is driving this new standard.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

exactly, the bar is definately raised and IMHO its not really worth building one of the big blocks if it isnt making serious power. As an example my brothers full weight daily driver 4.6 Cobra makes 450 RWHP (i dont believe in a drivetrain losses of 18-20% but that HAS to be close to 500+ at the flywheel) and runs 118MPH traps with just a pully change, cat back, cai and a tune. Lots of cobra guys are making 500+RWHP on the stock blower by porting it ($500) and the above mods, and 600RWHP and way beyond is attainable just by switching to a better blower like a kenne bell. The LS1 and LS2 and LS6's and LS7's are making incredible power as well. If anything, a 600HP Big block is barely keeping up with whats becoming the norm. And lets not get started on whap the Supra boys are doing out there.........

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 AM

LOL wow, didnt know you guys were local, you guys recommend any tranny shops to get my c6 built to handle about 700HP or so? Im in San Jose BTW
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM

I agree!

There is alot of 600hp cars on the road today being used as dailey drivers. The wonders of fuel injection and superchargers!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
It's all about bragging rights. I don't think most people understand that a 600HP small block is NOT the same as a 600HP big block. At least not until they get it in their car/truck and either can't get the power to hook up, or start breaking driveline parts.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 AM
PBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl
It's all about bragging rights. I don't think most people understand that a 600HP small block is NOT the same as a 600HP big block. At least not until they get it in their car/truck and either can't get the power to hook up, or start breaking driveline parts.
True statement

I had a 374rwhp 389rwtq 347 in my daily driver and that was a handful. The majority of people that rode in that car couldn't or wouldn't believe just how strong that is in a daily driven street machine.

I wanted a big block to knock the twitchy edge off the small block powerband and so I wouldn''t have to wrap it to the moon to make power.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 AM

supra boys

Do the same thing to a BBF that the supra guys have to do to their motors and I think the BBF would make allot more power. Or any v-8 for that matter. Yea, they build 1200 hp motors with big turbos and computers on race gas. You could do the same thing with a v-8 on pump gas. I have not seen a supra in the pump gas drags or drag week. Those supras are no cheap build either. Put on the same budget, I think the v-8 will make more power. Still haven't seen a supra run in 10.5 class. The rules allow it. I just think there is allot of hype with them. Like I said, they make allot of power but there is also a huge budget attached to them.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM

yeah they are on the expensive side, but im just saying, there are A LOT of high powered cars out there,i dont want to make this into a Supra thread. I have not seen a Supra at the strip AT ALL, but theres a lot of videos on streetfire.net and youtube if you want to see them.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl
Most of those cars that are making that incredible power do it below 6500rpm also, so they too have torque for days.

The LS1 guys are getting 430 RWHP with heads intake and cam out of only 346 cubic inches on hydraulic rollers. Im HOPING for 500RWHP out of 533cubic inches. Also, I heard that the LS7 can make over 600HP with boltons and a cam naturally asparated! Are Big Blocks cheaper? MAYBE but the money ive sank into my unfinished 533 so far is far from pocket change.($2200 heads, $340 cam, $1500 stroker kit, $350 lifters, $300 Intake,etc. probably costs more than 7 grand for a BBF...)
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM
RJP

Then days of a multi-purpose engine are coming to an end. With cat piss gas costing $3.50/gal. cops that will pull you over for any reason at all and write a moving violation ticket that now cost anywhere from $250-to $500.00 when you add fines, court cost, local municipal fees and what ever else they can tack on. Kinda takes all the fun outta stop light dueling. When you take into consideration how often you can accually "use" 600 HP on the street then it hardly seems worth what it takes to get that 600 hp and maintain it. Most 600 hp engines are still somewhat finikey and need constant attention it makes little sense to try to build an engine that seldom sees its full potental. In my youth when fuel was 100 oct. and cops merely gave you a warning it was alot more fun to use what ever you could squeeze from your engine but those days are nothing more than a fading memory never to be lived again. Lets keep the "600 hp" engines on the track where they will be more at home and be used for what they were intended.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 PM

thats the thing, these high powered cars can be easily driven on the street AND raced at the track! and it doesnt take much to maintain those 600hp cars at all
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 AM

My 'stang is around the 475HP range, maybe a bit more, and then another 180 shot of nitrous. It runs mid 10s in the quarter. (when the track surface cooperates) On the street I use full throttle less than 5% of the time. There is really never a need for that kind of power on the street. Really.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSSio
exactly, the bar is definately raised and IMHO its not really worth building one of the big blocks if it isnt making serious power. As an example my brothers full weight daily driver 4.6 Cobra makes 450 RWHP (i dont believe in a drivetrain losses of 18-20% but that HAS to be close to 500+ at the flywheel) and runs 118MPH traps with just a pully change, cat back, cai and a tune. Lots of cobra guys are making 500+RWHP on the stock blower by porting it ($500) and the above mods, and 600RWHP and way beyond is attainable just by switching to a better blower like a kenne bell. The LS1 and LS2 and LS6's and LS7's are making incredible power as well. If anything, a 600HP Big block is barely keeping up with whats becoming the norm. And lets not get started on whap the Supra boys are doing out there.........
Amazing...... My Street SBF only makes 280 hp @ the wheels and runs 117 mph........ Hummmm...... We'er back to Dyno racing again.......
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1969fordguyinky
There is really never a need for that kind of power on the street. Really.
Can you say JOHN FORCE burnouts :shock:

G. Allen Pearson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in