Local Pull 7/20 - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Local Pull 7/20

My home town fair puts on 3 pulls each year, 2 during the fair and 1 a month later. Last night, they had 7200lb Street legal Gas and 8000 Street legal Diesel. Well, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to stop by and hook. However since I don't keep plates and insurance on my puller, they wouldn't let me hook in the class but did let me do a "Test" pass for the entry fee price of $20 of course.
Two years ago when I go into pulling, I ran this class since I was street legal. Back then, it was a gas/diesel 7200lb class, and I came in 3rd with a distance of around 280ft. Respectable considering the 2 that beat me were diesels at the ragged edge of "street legal".

So last night, after all the "stockers" ran (the best was maybe 278ft) they let Josh (another ITPA truck) and I run with the same sled as the "stockers".
I couldn't believe the difference in the truck from then to now! I had to keep looking back to see if the sled was attached! When I got the green flag, I cleared out the carb, put a slight load on the drivetrain, then put the skinny pedal on the floor board. The motor shot up to 6000 and by the 50ft mark, it was singing 7200 (man that is a sweet sound LOL). At the 200ft mark, the truck was still gaining speed! Then at about 250ft the rear seemed to float to the right so I drove'er right to collect it, and brought it back in line where I wanted it, gaining momentum the whole time. As I passed the 300' line, I saw the flagman scrambling to get out of the way. Then, something weird happened, I was expecting the sled to bring me to a stop, but instead it felt like the truck came up and was gaining speed, so I thought something happened to the sled and lifted as I looked back to see if it was still there and to see if the flagman was giving me the red flag. To my delight, the sled was still attached, and no red flag, so I came back in to about 1/2 throttle until the concrete baracade got real big, and let go of the go fast pedal and applied some brake. That was so freakin sweet, what a ride! In the 3 seasons I have pulled, I have NEVER had to lift or apply the brakes, I'm always fighting for every last inch. Even though I knew I was way over powered for the class, it still felt good to experience the ride. What a night for the Ford camp!

As I was chaining the truck back on the trailer. A young lady came over and informed me that she took second place in the class and wanted to know why the pull commitee wouldn't let Josh and I in the class. So choking back the urge to gloat a little, I politely informed her that it was because we didn't have plates and insurance, and on top of that, it really wouldn't have been fair to the drivers in that class. (besides, some chevy owner would have complained that we were too hot, LOL)

Alan

Alan
Page Performance
1995 F150 514 powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nice run man
that truck is rilly turning on for ya
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM

Alan,

Nice Pull!! You shoulda put some tags and insurance on that truck
I remember that feeling (Back in the day)

Congrats!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Re Tags

I've thought about it, but for one or two hooks a year, it doesn't seem worth it.

Alan

Alan
Page Performance
1995 F150 514 powered
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM

logansport pull

Alan,

I was there, but did not see much of the street stock class, but I did get to see your run. It was right before our class started. Your engine sounded good, and you had pretty good ground speed also. Where are you headed next?

Mike
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

RE

Mike,

I saw your tractor but didn't see you around until you guys were getting ready to go to the line.

I need to get with you, I'll send you a PM!

Alan

Alan
Page Performance
1995 F150 514 powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in