Anyone here own an offshore fishing boat? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Anyone here own an offshore fishing boat?

I found a 1974 30' Trojan Flybridge for sale. The stern sank in the slip during Hurricane Katrina and the engine compartment flooded. The interior got some water, it wasn't entirely flooded. The owner has redone the interior cabin, etc... All he says it needs is to have the engines rebuilt.

It's got (2) 351W's in it for power. He says it doesn't leak water, just a little seapage past one of the rudder posts. It's got A/C, Gen, he says the electrical is in good shape, etc...

It's a brackish/salt water boat so I'm sure the cooling system will need a good going through. Maybe new tube/shell coolers, pipes, manifolds, etc...

He's moving soon and can't take it with him. I'm hoping to look at it sometime this week.

What's your thoughts on this? How much would something like this go for? How much do you guys pay per month for a slip at the marina or boatyard, annual maintenance, etc...

I've always wanted a "big" boat. I like the idea that I can take the kids out on it for a overnight trip, etc...

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just a thought.

I'm far from an authority on boats but I worked with a couple of guys who had good sized boats, one owned a Trojan. The other guy had a Carver, and he seemed to know a lot about boats, and he told me that Trojans have a shallow hull that makes them fast but they are not too stable in rough water. Other than that he said Trojans were good boats. Just an observation.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

John,

You buy it, and then I'll come down and we'll go shrimping. I'll be LT. Dan and you can be Forrest Gump :!: :lol:

Charlie Evans

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Bring a pair of 604's with ya when ya come down..... That'll make it scoot!

I might be able to pick this up for $3-4K!!

John

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 AM

John -

I had a 45' Hatteras ("The Hooker") for several years; probably the dumbest thing I've ever done, but I'd do it again. I paid $70k for it in 1996 and had it chartered out in Grand Isle and then Fourchon. Had a captain and deckhand that ran the boat and someone to book the trips; trying to break even and get the boat to pay for itself, but that didn't quite happen. Sold it in 2000 or so.

Boat took on water one day and the engine compartment got flooded. Engines were good, but generator, starters, alternators, and much of the wiring had to be replaced. Boat had a pair of 6-71s and starters and alternators aren't cheap. I would figure on replacing just about anything that carries an electrical current if it got wet. You don't want to risk having something short out in the engine compartment, especially with gas engines. If the generator got wet, you'll need a new one; see if you can find a good used one.

I was paying several hundred a month for a slip, I think, but I forget exactly how much. Maintenance was another issue - I was charging $1,000/trip, and after you took out fuel cost, captain and deckhand pay, the rest was eaten up by maintenance. Boat was a 1971 model, I think, so it's age contributed to that.

A few more thoughts - "freak accidents" seem to happen quite often, so be prepared. I can remember running up the Mississippi one night headed to Venice, against the current, no steering (was steering with the throttles), no lights, and one transmission about to go (that would have killed ability to steer with the throttles), dodging cruise ships and crewboats, etc. Definitely a white knuckle ride.

Also, a boat that works perfectly well when moored after a trip will develop several problems while sitting at the dock.

Ok, I guess that's my $.02. Bottom line is that it doesn't sound like a bad deal, but be prepared.

Scott

66 Fairlane GT Convt, built 428 with E-brock heads, Toploader 4 sp
68 GTO convt., 455, TH400
70 RAIV GTO, 400, M21, 4.33
71 Javelin road race project, 401, T10
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I just picked up a 73' Chris Craft Commander with 2 x 427 ford marine engines here in Seattle.

$3-4k sounds like a good deal as long as it a Fiberglass boat, Stay away from wooden haul's.

Have a Survey done by a pro, usually costs about $300-$400 + haul out.

Typical Morage in my area is $7-$10 per foot.

Nothing to hard about rebuilding some motors, the low performance boat stuff is no bid deal. But expect parts to be $$$ as soon as you say BOAT or Reverse Rotation.

Just keep in mind maintence is an ongoing thing with salt water boats and you will need to spend some time with it to keep it nice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Guys,

It looks good from across the water. haven't been onboard yet. Thanks for the heads up. If I can get it fairly cheaply we'll see. My biggest concern is trying to get it hauled out and checked over...

it's all lass. Hull, decks, etc... Not sure of shapoe but it's definitely glass.

John

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
John,

Find a couple of local marinas, they normaly have haul out facilities and contacts for people to do the inspections.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 PM

John -

There is an older guy who surveyed my boat - very honest - his first name was Cy or something like that. He was at the marina in the lakeside area across the street from where all the sand volleyball courts are.

Anyway, haul out and survey is money well spent. I had a 48' Egg Harbor wooden boat hauled out and surveyed and ended up passing on the old girl. You can also use the faults found on the survey to further negotiate with the seller.

Good luck,

Scott

66 Fairlane GT Convt, built 428 with E-brock heads, Toploader 4 sp
68 GTO convt., 455, TH400
70 RAIV GTO, 400, M21, 4.33
71 Javelin road race project, 401, T10
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I laid eyes on it today. It wasn't even worth my time..... Real bad repair job from the water damage. It went waaaaaaay under too during the storm.....

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in