Has there ever been a BBF cylinder head comparison? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has there ever been a BBF cylinder head comparison?

Has there ever been a BBF cylinder head comparison?im searching all over the net and cant find ANY articles where they test the Trick Flow Streets. I dont want just head flow data but an actual buildup would be interesting. They should do a comparison on a 460 (or stroker) vs. edelbrock heads and other heads in its class.Has anybody HERE done a comparison? that is, using the same cam and intake and things like that. Im talking about out of the box not ported,because unless its CNC, no two port jobs are really the same so the integrity of the test would be sacrificed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

MauriSSSio,

Who is They, ("They" should do a....) ?

Charlie Evans
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

whoever has the means i guess. maybe some people here, or some magazine, nobody specifically since the topic of interest isnt really "they" but the results themselves

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Look in the engine build section of this forum. Specifically the 512 that the Evans twins :P put together and dynoed. Impressive numbers with the TFS street heads.

If you have time, you could make a post with several similar combinations on the engine build forum as a comparison :idea:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasea466
Look in the engine build section of this forum. Specifically the 512 that the Evans twins :P put together and dynoed. Impressive numbers with the TFS street heads.

If you have time, you could make a post with several similar combinations on the engine build forum as a comparison :idea:
i know, but thats the thing though. It wouldnt really be a fair comparison if two engines had different displacements or different cam specs or carbs, or having one set of heads with better port work done than the others. Thats why im interested in looking at out of the box results so there are less variables and to at least get good baseline numbers, im surprised this hasnt been done yet thats all.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:06 PM

why not just use Charlie's "pecking order" list of heads?

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:20 PM

I understand what you are saying, put an engine on a dyno. Tune it to max power and then swap heads.

IMO this would still be a flawed test. The cam for one particluar type head may not be optimum for another type head.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The cam for one particluar type head may not be optimum for another type head.
you think that would still be a major issue if the heads had the same port and valve sizes? basically id like to see an actual undoctored TFS head vs Edelbrock shootout.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm no expert however I think that each head will need a slightly different combination for optimum performance. i.e. Through R&D Bob at D&D has specific type cams that work best with Edelbrock heads, another i.e. Lem and Charlie have certain spec cams that work best with TFS heads etc.........

Just my observation, how much they will vary is a good question. Maybe someone like Lem, Scotty J, Charlie, Randy or Bob can give us some answers.

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 PM

One of the reasons you can not find this kind of comparison is we have no magazines that are dedicated to the big block ford. You see all kinds of shootouts on small block heads but its hard enough for a big block to just make print let alone an extensive test like you are talking about. Plus I don't think Edelbrock, TFS or Ford would want to donate a set of their heads knowing that the Kaase head will whip their butts in a test like this. I think Charlie's pecking order and what Scott has posted on here is about the best your going to find until we get more media support.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM

and the pecking order is????? for us that dont have a memory or printer dont work :?
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSSio
Quote:
you think that would still be a major issue if the heads had the same port and valve sizes? basically id like to see an actual undoctored TFS head vs Edelbrock shootout.
If the heads have the same port and valve sizes then most likely there isn't going to be enough of a difference in power output to make testing both worthwhile. The things you would want to look for is the heads with the most meat so that you can get the most extensive port work done possible, at least that's what I, as a head porter, look for. That and a port with a decent shape in the first place. Some of the heads are quite a bit better than others, but most on here who have dealt with them could tell you which to use and you wouldn't go wrong. Maybe instead of asking which head is best, give some people an idea of what you want to build and ask them what head would be adequate for what you want to do. Unless you're looking for that last half hp, and face it, most of you out there aren't even going to notice it, an in depth comparison like that isn't going to be worthwhile for you. Well, that's my two cents anyway.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSSio
Quote:
If the heads have the same port and valve sizes then most likely there isn't going to be enough of a difference in power output to make testing both worthwhile. The things you would want to look for is the heads with the most meat so that you can get the most extensive port work done possible, at least that's what I, as a head porter, look for. That and a port with a decent shape in the first place. Some of the heads are quite a bit better than others, but most on here who have dealt with them could tell you which to use and you wouldn't go wrong. Maybe instead of asking which head is best, give some people an idea of what you want to build and ask them what head would be adequate for what you want to do. Unless you're looking for that last half hp, and face it, most of you out there aren't even going to notice it, an in depth comparison like that isn't going to be worthwhile for you. Well, that's my two cents anyway.
thing is, ive seen edelbrocks listed as flowing as little as 318cfm and the TFS heads flowing 350cfm, this is a HUGE difference in power potential if the difference is indeed that great (which i doubt but with edelbrock lower in the "pecking order" im sure the edel. owners would be interested in how much HP theyre leaving on the table), also the TFS head is said to flow better on the exhaust, either way it hasnt been proven how much HP this is actually worth, hence a shootout is necessary.
Im interested in most HP under 7000RPM. with stock exhaust location and stock type pistons.
another question If the edelbrock make less power given equal builds, in which applications would they be considered over the TFS?
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

It is all about time and money . I for one , do not have the resourses to test everything . Having said that , if Edelbrock or TFS wanted to do a heads up test to prove which is better let them pay the bill . Then again if they used the normal magazine venue....the MFR. that PAID them to do the article WILL win .
Then again..if TFS and Edel. will send an engine and heads to cornfield Corntucky and pay for the dyno time....I'll donate my time to get the answer to your question .

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I got a 466 with tfs streets find somebody with the edelbrocks bring them to Ky along with 2 sets of head gaskets and I will give you the answer . :lol: No dyno queen , a time slip 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in