Race Results from July 21 at MP Dragway - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Race Results from July 21 at MP Dragway

Sorry for the late post, following is my racing adventures for Saturday July 21st at MP Dragway in the Modified Class. Before we get started, My wife tagged along and We (Chuck also) grilled out after the first round and it was GOOD!!! Tracy made brownies the night before and they were GOOD!! Just ask Brandon and Chuck :mrgreen:

All runs will be foot brake at 2500 to 2600 rpm’s stage and then full throttle

Previous results can be located on this thread for MP Dragway

https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=13896&highlight=

Previous Best: Car went a BEST of 6.105 through the 1/8 and 113.1 mph in 60 degree weather, with barometric pressure in the 30.17 range and low humidity. 1.381 is the best short time at the previous outing with the current chassis setup. This is AT MP Dragway. What I did discover over the weekend is that my car runs better at Ohio Valley in worse weather so go figure ??? The track at The Valley seems to hook a LOT better for my car.

T&T Results at Ohio Valley Thread

https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=14488&highlight=

Best ET and MPH 6.091 and 113.92 mph

Reference:
Reaction = Reaction time
I1 = 60’ time
I2 = 330’ time
I3 = 1/8 mile time
Mph I3 = 1/8 mph
ET = ¼ mile time
Mph = mph

First time run:
Temp 81 degrees
Barometric pressure 30.29
Humidity 47%

Slicks are at 8 to 8.25psi cold and will be 9 to 9.25psi when I return from the first run. Rear shocks are set at 5 of 10. Shift light set at 6800.

Right Lane
Reaction -.056
I1 1.405
I2 3.981
I3 6.152
Mph I3 112.855
ET N/A
Mph N/A

I typically throw out the first run however in this case, it would be my best run during time trials. The air was really good compared to previous weeks so ALL the racers were picking up except for me. Gene and the others couldn’t figure out why my car wouldn’t pickup since it ran a 6.09 at the Valley in the heat. BUT my short times at the valley were in the 1.37 range where as at MP they are a little off. Fortunately, I had logged all my run information into my laptop the night before so I could compare data and get some ET predictions based on the weather. Will get to that in a minute.

Second time run:
Temp 79 degrees
Barometric pressure 30.28
Humidity 47%

Didn’t change anything from the previous run. One note, when I smashed the go-fast pedal my foot slipped up to the top of the pedal. Not that it made much difference but it may have.

Left Lane
Reaction: .067
I1 1.418
I2 4.015
I3 6.186
Mph I3 113.048
ET N/A
Mph N/A

Car lost a little?!? What the hell?!? After speaking with Gene, he said that the left lane is typically a little slower for him as well. This run will be a toss out and won’t go into my main ET Prediction file.

Third Time Run
Temp 79 degrees
Barometric pressure 30.26
Humidity 41%

Tire pressure remains at 9.0psi hot. Since the air was a little better today, I decided to jet up the front two sized and see if it makes any difference, again as with the jet increase at Ohio Valley, it didn’t make any difference. Jets were at 91/93 so I went up two in the front to square the carb at 93. Maybe I need to start leaning on it and see if it picks up?

Right Lane
Reaction: .023
I1 1.411
I2 3.997
I3 6.165
Mph I3 112.991
ET N/A
Mph N/A

Car ran well and went straight. Noticed that the shift light came on just as I crossed the 1/8 mile line. Shift light is set at 6800. Could my converter or tranny be slipping a little? I think it’s time to try the Hygaurd fluid the next time I go racing.

So now I’m beginning to question the cars performance because everyone else keeps saying how my car should pick up because theirs did blah blah blah…….. Well let’s just see what the car ‘should have’ run. I break out my laptop and start plugging in weather data and getting some ET predictions. First run, based on the previous runs AT MP Dragway. Punch in the temp, pressure, humidity and use a run from June 16th to calculate my new ET. Well what do you know, it predicts I’ll run a 6.15X and what did I run? A 6.152 so there you go! My car isn’t off, it’s just that these other guys have been running the past few weeks in the HOT miserable weather and THEIR cars are going faster today. Based on my previous runs, my car is running what is should run. The exception being my second time run which was a wash….

First round of Eliminations:
Temp 76 degrees
Barometric Pressure 30.26
Humidity 46%

So now according to my ET prediction software, I calculated it at 79 degrees when I was at the trailer prior to driving up to the staging lanes. Car should run a 6.15 based on my first time run of the day.

Right Lane
Dial 6.15
Reaction .020
I1 1.399
I2 3.973
I3 6.137
Mph I3 113.315
ET N/A
Mph N/A

My first victim went red with a -.002 and a 7.04 dial while running a 7.051. I’ll bet he was pissed. So I ran it on out, passed him between the cones and thus broke out but still got the win and another time run.

Recorded my weather data: see above and then plugged it into the laptop. Then out of curiosity I searched for similar runs in similar weather and found one that was dead on during the Mustang Open Comp race at MP back in June. ET prediction based on that previous run would have been a 6.130 (Yoda Voice) Very useful tool…….. This ET Prediction Software Is.

Between the first and second rounds MP is experiencing issues with the lights and timers. 1.5 to 2 hour delay and it will be 3 hours between my first and second round run. Just prior to the second round being called I check my slicks and OOPS! They are down to 7psi due to the temperature has dropped to 57 degrees. Hopefully my burnout will put some heat back into the slicks (Big Mistake on my part)

Second round of Eliminations:
Temp 57 degrees
Barometric Pressure 30.28
Humidity 97% Dew has settled and it makes my humidity sensor go wacko so I don’t really pay much attention to the humidity at night.

ET Prediction: 6.09

Right Lane
Dial 6.09
Reaction .025
I1 1.434
I2 4.080
I3 6.284
Mph I3 111.369
ET N/A
Mph N/A

Well the car decides to take a dump on me and spun pretty bad, then instinctively I short shift from first to second and it just killed the ET and MPH Most likely due to the low tire pressure, getting on the bars and/or I didn’t get enough heat into the engine. Lesson learned! My opponent had a .041 light to my .025 however he ran a 7.142 on his 7.10 dial. Lucky DOG! Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda……. I’ll check my tires sooner next time and make the proper adjustment!

So what have we learned from this race? My car runs better at Ohio Valley AND the previous valve lash tightening may not have worked as well as I had first thought. Next time I check the valve lash, I’m gonna crank another .002” into the lash settings and see what happens.

Another thing that I’d like to try is moving my shift point up from 6800 to 6900. However I’ll have to make a few test runs at 6800 FIRST because the next time I race, I’ll have changed the oil, changed the tranny fluid while replacing it with the Hygaurd fluid and I’ll raise the wheelie bars using my level garage floor to measure the height a little more accurately.

Hope you enjoyed my long-winded story

p.s. Chuck ran a personal best during the second round. He broke out with a 6.60 on a 6.64 dial in

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 PM

Nice work Damon, your just about to best me lol.

I should start my build in a couple weeks, wanna have it ready by the end of October for the Buick vs Ford Race to sort the motor combo, then get all the nos stuff done this winter and go win me some money next year lol.

Do you self a favor and get a playback tach, it will show you a whole lot thats going on in the converter and tranny dept. You dont even need the Ultimate or Ultimate II, I have the sport comp and it does just wonders and wont kill the bank.

Might be c6 time, the c4s are tough to a point but once you cross it they become troublesome.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I'd like to have a playback tach. Better yet a Data logger like Chris

It's probably just my imagination about the slipping, but man this engine really turns some RPM Quick!

I have nothing against a C6 EXCEPT for the size :shock: There's SO MUCH more room to work with the C4

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Pictures from July 16th via my buddy Brandon from Ohio aka BB94STANG, Thanks Brandon!

In this picture, if you look at the motorhome parked at the side of the track, right in front of the motorhome, you can see Chuck's Big Head :lol:

Check out this picture that Brandon tweaked, looks just like a picture drawing :shock:

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasea466
I'd like to have a playback tach. Better yet a Data logger like Chris

It's probably just my imagination about the slipping, but man this engine really turns some RPM Quick!

I have nothing against a C6 EXCEPT for the size :shock: There's SO MUCH more room to work with the C4
The data logger is the best money I spent!!! If you can't get a logger at least get the Autometer dual channel playback tach. It will be money well spent because the logger/ playback tach don't lie!!! Brock Gillis (Bantam 588) just put an RPM brand logger on his car. I think he is pleased with it. I recommend getting a Racepak V300 & start there. It is modular so it is easy to expand as you get the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in