Two News Helicopters Crash in Phoenix - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two News Helicopters Crash in Phoenix

How sad. It's front page for now. Here are the links:

Channel 3... http://www.azfamily.com/

Channel 15... http://www.abc15.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
This is sad? Give me a break.......What about all of the military heli's that crash?...you didnt post all of those?...Call me what you want but the more the media is thinned down the better off the American people are.....D

'71 Mustang Mach1 370 Truck Motor
'09 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog
This is sad? Give me a break.......What about all of the military heli's that crash?...you didnt post all of those?...Call me what you want but the more the media is thinned down the better off the American people are.....D
Yes, this is sad. I'm sure the Mothers, Fathers, Wives, Husbands, Brothers, Sisters, Sons, and Daughters of the people involved also think it's quite sad as well. No more sad than lives lost in any profession, including the military...but certainly no less.

If you hate the media, that's your choice. I personally don't feel that the accidental death of anyone in any profession is something I care to celebrate.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:55 AM

Accidental? Police cheif Jack Harris was quoted as saying the person in the pursued vehicle would likely be charged in connection with the helicopter crash. :roll: I sent an email to phoenix police saying that the driver of the chased car was NOT responsible for the unfortunate collision of the helicopters and should not be punished for that. And that if this is normal or standard procedure to treat suspected criminals unjust or unfairly, I find it disgusting and downright disturbing. It doesn't matter if the guy being chased by cops on the ground had broken a law or several, he was clearly not at fault for the chopper crash. That'd be like if some person at one of my high school basketball games had tripped, fell off the bleachers and died... and I was charged with manslaughter or murder just because he was there to watch me and the other players. I mean, he wouldn't have fallen off the bleachers if there wasn't a basketball game to attend. Does anyone else think it outrageous that the person being pursued would be punished further/more because these helicopters crashed while trying to show the thrill-starved American public what it likes to watch?

Anyway, yes, this is a sad story and event to have happened. It was an unfortunate accident as there are many unfortunate accidents every day. It's just that most of them aren't as flashy or unique as this one. It was certainly unfortunate and it's unfortunate that anyone gets hurt or killed in any accident. However, our military personnel signs up for the job knowing there's potential dangers and risks, as does a helicopter news reporter. Still, just because we know there are dangers doesn't mean we deserve to suffer when those dangers occur.

I just read a bit more of it and they're saying the guy who was being chased hit a marked police car that he saw which is considered assault on a police officer. It makes sense, but I wonder how they could know for sure that he saw the police car. I can't imagine there'd be any way to know for sure. Or is this one of those deals where you're guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent (and of course there's no way you can prove you didn't see the police car unless you were a blind person). I also wonder, out of curiosity, if it could still be considered assault on a police officer if that police car broke a traffic law which caused you to strike their vehicle with yours. I mean, if you're going through an intersection and you have a green light, and the cop comes through a red light to stop you and gets hit, that's not your fault even if you're being chased, right?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 06:11 AM

Actually, any deaths caused by commiting a felony can be charged to that person. No different than if someone was killed in a car crash trying to avoid him running from the cops. BTW, it took a police dog and a taser to arrest the guy.

Even worse though, later that night a Phoenix cop was killed while trying to arrest a couple people trying to cash a stolen check. Shot twice in the head. 23yrs old with 2 kids... :cry:
They're looking for the death penalty for both even though only one shot him.

[/img]

68 coupe, 557+glide...
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
84 Gt 'vert, 95 engine, AFR 165's, stock cam, performer with 600 holley
[email protected] in the AZ summer heat
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 AM

I think what " Devildog" is saying, is that military crashes happen often, and are not often given as much cosideration/attention. Kinda of a " outa sight outa mind" :cry:

To most " Military" people the American media can be their own worst enemy.. Not to say the American people don't have a right to know but lifes are directly at stake.

911 was a sad example: America was so sadden that they "came together" and many families were given thousand/millions of dollars for their losses..... On the otherside a soilders dying for their country their familys get a "military funeral" and 15.000 accidental death benifits.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Am I the only one that saw the irony in this?

Please.. the only thing that would have been *SADDER* would be if they crashed chasing Lindsey Lohan.

:roll:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:16 AM

Give Lindsey credit, she doesn't need any help crashing :!: :!:

"Perception is reality"
"Failure is not an option"
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
2001 F150 4X4 SuperCab
2003 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic
1998 25.4 Mustang, 598 C head...done by fall, good Lord willing...

"No time to drive any of them"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH
Actually, any deaths caused by commiting a felony can be charged to that person. No different than if someone was killed in a car crash trying to avoid him running from the cops. BTW, it took a police dog and a taser to arrest the guy.

Even worse though, later that night a Phoenix cop was killed while trying to arrest a couple people trying to cash a stolen check. Shot twice in the head. 23yrs old with 2 kids... :cry:
They're looking for the death penalty for both even though only one shot him.
I see it as very different than if the fleeing person hit a car with his car. In that case, the deaths/injuries of the people in the car he hit WERE a direct result of his actions and it was not those people's fault in any way for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The helicopter CHOSE to be there in that situation. They wanted to be in the middle of it all. And it wasn't even any interaction with the guy which caused any of the crash. It was their negligence. If the guy fleeing was shooting at the helicopter with a gun and that caused the helicopters to crash, then there would be some reason to charge him in connection to the crash. As for the death penalty thing for both of those people even though only one shot the cop, I think that's pretty outrageous too. Oh no, our prisons are over crowded and under-funded, what shall we do? I know! Let's throw people in there who didn't really do a crime but were in the area when one happened or they associate with people who committed a crime. Pretty soon it'll be like North Korea where they sometimes punish a whole family for the actions of only one family member. And giving the death penalty isn't cheap. It costs us tax payers more to put someone to death than keep them in jail for life. I'm not arguing with you, Gary. I know you were just stating facts. I just get worked up about this stuff sometimes. 8) I did live in Phoenix for a while and it's certainly a different feel from rural Iowa. Phoenix is very "cutthroat" for the lack of a better word. People like to ignore others and no one really looks out for their neighbors. Of course, how could they with so many walls and fences between almost every single house? Around here is completely different. You look out for your neighbors and help them out even if you don't like them and even if you've had issues in the past. People leave their cars running, unlocked, for half an hour or more to keep it warm while they shop for groceries here and know it will be there when they get back. We pump our gas and THEN go in to pay for it. I wonder if the way police treat people in different areas reflects these differences.

I have a friend who sometimes gets unreasonably angry. Usually he's fun to be around, but sometimes it's almost embarrassing (he doesn't have many friends). IF I were hanging out with him at some time and he completely flips out and kills someone when I'm there, should I receive the death penalty? Is that justice?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psquare75
Am I the only one that saw the irony in this?

Please.. the only thing that would have been *SADDER* would be if they crashed chasing Lindsey Lohan.

:roll:
I hope most people saw the irony in it. If not, here it is... The helicopters were following a chase looking for action and/or accidents, however, they soon became the action and accident themselves.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Forum Contributor

Give me a break, devildog especially. Devildog, are the lives of our military personnel worth more than that of our civilian population? If so, that's a BIG problem.

Granted, we do not pay as much tribute as we should to the military that sacrifices to keep us free, but these helicopter crews were just doing their job...that job got them killed and that is sad, no matter how you look at it.

As a person who makes a living piloting jets that fly extremely high profile clients, I can say this...it's just another job.

If i died tomorrow in a crash while carrying lindsey lohan, would you think I got what I deserved? I wonder if anyone would talk about the cancer patients I have flown to the Mayo clinic for treatment...... probably not.....

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 AM

Devildog,

give any thought to the likelyhood of both pilots being veterans, civilian trained commercial helicopter pilots are kinda rare, loss of life while making a living for your family is just as devestating, I recognize your sign on name, many may not, semper fidelis.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in