David Reese Drag radial crash - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

David Reese Drag radial crash

Phenix City AL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLZqu...Default%2Easpx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

He's been running 4.90s in the 1/8
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM

they say he will be ok- he has a broken back though that was one bad *** coupe

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I think it's a big inch ford with an f2 blower. I can't beleave there were no gaurd rail past the score board. No ambulance either!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 8liter
Man thats awful. I cant let my wife see stuff like this, or my car would be on craigslist.

86 Coupe
545/AOD
A429/H429/1050/BigShot
Best on motor [email protected] /[email protected] on 275's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPod0fGjPo
Now with E85!!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Anyone know what failed?

Armchair QB..

Looks like the power was ok at 16 to 19 seconds in the vid.. Right at I'd say 19 & 1/2 the power went quiet and at 20 sec the brake lights were on.

I know we are talking thousands of a second here but would going for the chut have been a better option then appling the brakes..

If the power is interuped.. how do the slicks unload and can you anticipate traction loss from wheel hop using a chassis softwear ie extream AS (anti-Squat) will increase the chances of wheel hop when braking)

Just trying to learn.. :=)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 AM
BFT

Wheels just lost traction and started spinning. Watch the video again and turn up the volume, was still in it when the wheels started spinning! Plus he was probably going about 120 -130 when he went sideways, just wasn't quick enough to pull the chute I guess. We can always look at a video and say "wouldn't it have been better if" but you don't know for real till you been in that situation. Happens super fast.

God Bless
Randal
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Sounds to me like just after a gear change the engine RPM's started to climb again normally at first, and then the RPM's started to zing under power just before the car turned left. If you look at the clip in full screen mode you will see that just as the RPM's started to zing there was a smoke/haze trail starting to come off both slicks just before it turned left.

So my guess is it just lost traction & turned left from simple tire spin or shake. What caused the loss of traction could be anything, too much boost coming in down track, no down force from lack of a rear deck wing (none that I could see in the clip). Or something getting under the slicks such as oil, water, oil-dry, etc, etc either from the car its self or already on the track surface.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Dangerous place to race. Poor gaurd rails and a complete lack of them at shutdown :? :shock: , a chair at the end of the track, etc.

I agree with Dave, you can hear the RPM's come up and see the smoke a second later. it started to spin the tires and the rest is history.

85 Mustang GT, Ice Blue, A460 headed 572, [email protected], 70 Mach 1 428 CJ, 69 Boss 9 clone, 1973 'cuda 340, 68 Barracuda SS/AH clone project, 67 GT390, 64 Cutlass, 1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone, 78 King Cobra.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

A car weighing over 3000lbs that will run 4.90s @ over 140mph in the 1/8 on Drag radials is pushing it.....no matter what anyone says! Look how soft the car left...once the power started to come on it broke the tires loose. Track condition has to be perfect for cars like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I agree with you BFT, but we can learn and when we are not racing, we can re-inact what happend in the garage. Pratice the what if's.. (self made engine noise is required).

Thank you David.. Axle issues are ruled out.. The DR uses 17lbs of pressure and has some real stout sidewalls.. I'm hung up on the brake light now..

Laters!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM

If yall look at the video real good you will see the car break the tires loose for whatever reason, it then turn a little bit sideways. Then he hits the brakes hard, the car roll fordward onto the fround tires. and goes into a skid. You can then see the car roll back a little bit, as if he let off the brake a little but it is to late. Over the years I have seen so many cars go into the wall due to being on the breaks. when a fast car gets sideways the best thing to do is just let off. That is just my two cents.....
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
Guy's I'm sorry for such a bad deal but I must say that these tracks don't look like the can handle the raw power that these car are cappible of laying down. Heck they sould have gaurd walls ( like concrete) all the way down,I bet they barely know how to prep a track or even spray it down with traction compound. Don't these place's even have INSURANCE incase the spectators get hit???

Sorry I'm just venting for the lose of this poor guys car.

Ace
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM

The guard rails that they do have have only been up for about 3-4 years. The track has also been resurface for about 2 years. This is a very old track, I have photo's that were shot in 1970 at this track till they installed the guard rail , you could go to the same spot hold the photo up and look at the track thsy were the same! We call this track sin city. It is also one of the better working tracks around here. But like a LOT of tracks they have not keep up with the increase in ET and MPH of cars that are raceing today.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 AM

Are you guys sure it had a BBF engine in it.

The only reason i ask is the new Race Pages says the car has a SBF with a Procharger F3R supercharger on it.

Later Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in