Damn Strange Nodular Iron center section with locker - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
kim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Damn Strange Nodular Iron center section with locker

Is one heavy assed pig.......... Why didn't one of you remind me how heavy that damn thing is. THere I was sweatin and swearin in the AZ mid evening thunderstorm heat and humidity takin off the 11 fruggin bolts holdin the damn thing on.........

As I lay there on the floor I hear this scratching. Like a gopher trapped in a card board box. Nope.... Commin across the floor twards me is a tarantula, this one was bigger than many I've seen. Had a good 8" leg spread when flalled out. Well, took a break and hearded that lil guy back out to the desert. Let him go take down a deer or two for lunch, surely he/she wasn't going to enjoy a chomp in my thigh.

Well, anyhow........ back when I first put this thing in, someone somewhere told me that RTV was fine, don't worry about a paper gasket. (I think that idiot was me) Don't ever use RTV>.. the crap is like glue, and the damn center does not like to move.... Use paper.

After about 3 hours total working in the lovely 18" space between floor and under car tin. I've finally got the seal popped... and try and walk this thing off the 11, 3" studs. (standard 1" really but DAMN). Only to find as its finally ready to come off, Im coverd in whale **** smelling grease, sweat, dirt, and now because of lights and night, a few million bugs..... That this thing weighs an easy 70lbs, and laying on my side trying to Set it down gently with a torn rotator cup was a great joke.. I did catch it on the first bounce though. (Machined surfaces inside a strange nodular 9" case are very very very sharp) So, whale **** grease, lots of sweat, a few 100 of AZ finest biting, stinging, hissing, spitting bugs, not to mention several cuts....... and Im ready to take the behemoth and have the locker replaced with the spool and the new steel 1350 U jount flange.

Have to spend tomorrow sopping the rest of the whale **** out of the diff housing, and then clean up the RTV on the housing, I see a couple of cases of brake clean going to use........

NEXT TIME> Im going to undo the shock bolts, the one brake line fitting, and roll the damn rear end out from under the car before doing any of this BS. 4 bolts and a brake line, and I could have worked at it standing, sitting, laying, hell..... you get the picture. Gotta start working smarter......

Sorry, thought I was over in the Garage..... this AINT engine tech....
My appologies. If I could move it, I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

nothing..

Nothing to it........ :lol: :lol: They're fun to put back in too. :lol: :lol:

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Gee, sounds like you shoulda hired someone... :lol: :lol: As far as the diff. clean-up, go to the pharmacy and get a 60ML sirynge and use it to suck out the old oil. Works great and then a couple paper towels later your good to go. I did a complete swap from an open to a locker in bout an hour & half, including clean-up and reinstall of Right Stuff gasket :lol: :lol: Sounds like you're having the time of your life so onward man onward. Seriously, what are you doing with the locker when you're done changing it out????

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Kim,

You shoulda asked for help :lol:
I always use my floor jack to 'help' hold the center section during R&R. Some peopl have that fancy tooling that slides into the floor jack and bolts to the front of the Center Section, I guess I'm still old school but not as 'old school' as you :P

Keep at it!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM

I just jack the car/truck up high enough where I can sit down facing the axle and pull it out towards me. It will fall right into your lap if you don't watch it.

Ya if something happened you would be put under a little pressure but as long as you use the proper jackstands you will be ok.

Changed my diff out and reinstalled it in one evening.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Kim,

You should have kept the Tarantula for a pet 8)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
kim

I tried to get it to crawl into a small bird cage we have out there. But it was too big, and I suspect hungry. Didn't want anything to do with going into the bird cage. Not so much to keep long term. Just so I could get it further out into the back 40. Hate to step out there in the dark and hear a crunch. As NASTY as they look.... they are great for killin bugs, lizzards, even them damn small gophers. I've had encounter with about 10 around the house. Only 1 big scorpion... that one qot the squish....

Ahhhh the jack. Lol, I just couldn't remember how I did it, when I put it together a LONG time ago. Im going to move the jack stands to the rear bumper.... so I can use the jack to put it in. With the narrowed rear end, and the jack stands on the tubes... well lets say the jack stand bases touch.

Don't know what Im going to do with the locker. Its got about 1000 miles on it, Maybe 15 drag passes and the rest mild street time. Might keep it around with the rest of the stuff. 3 drive shafts, a complete engine (in pieces) etc..... hate to ever let stuff go, never know when you might need it.

It really wasn't ALL that bad, aside from the fact I foregot how damn heavy the thing was. Other than that, no damage, no problem.

Of course I feel every pebble I rolled over today. Getting old...... is better than not. But somehow I don't remember hurting quite this bad when I used to do concrete dives all the time.

Hell, I've pulled and replaced engines in an evening. I've jerked a tranny and a blown clutch at a track parking lot, that one was a near record for a near stock undercar. Longest part of the job was waiting on a freind to race into town to get a new clutch/pressure plate assembly. I had the rest all dropped and ready. THink whole job happend in about 2 hours.

Just "excited" to be making progress I guess. I've let the ole car cover on it for a LONG time.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 AM

I used to use a paper gasket - every other time!

I would use a paper gasket on first assembly. Then when it came time to R&R it - I would cuss and cuss scraping that old paper gasket off getting stuff EVERYWHERE. Finally after an hour or more of cleanup I would swear, I would never use another paper gasket. So I would use RTV - then when it came time to remove the chunck (again) - just like you experienced - I would cuss and cuss and cuss how hard it is to get it to break loose. So I would swear I would never use RTV again - and the circle continues.

In all honest - I think the RTV is better - it is easier to clean up and does a good job of sealing things up especially if the parts have a few battle scars. I think (from my personal experience) that by the time you get the chunk out - that I am not thinking clearly and shouldn't be allowed to make crticial assembly decsission for a couple of days.

Good luck - funny story - only because I have been there with you!

G. Allen Pearson
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Kim,

When you get the chance, you should update all of us on what your project is etc....... I know, however a lot of the newer members may not know what you have going on.

Did you get one of those spools that I was telling you about? Or was it Gene that I was telling about the spools from the guy in Iowa? 31 spline drag spool for $118, same one that's in my car.

Keep us posted

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Should have let the Spider drag the center section out !!! :shock: Put the Bum to work !!! :lol: :lol:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
kim

Got a stange spool for the strange nodular carrier

That will attach the denny's nitro chrome molly drive shaft to the rear end.

Engine is a 525cu in A460 block. Roller cam bearings etc... Now I won't swear that we didn't get a little "dyno break" because after a couple years here and a few other places, its tough to believe that it could be true. You just cant GET that kinda air through a 400cfm head. But the dyno rolled 1020hp na. Thats with a REAL LONG CAM.. 340 degrees... But Even if the heads squeek 410cfm... Figure most of the best get about 850hp from a similar combination............. SOOOO, Then its got a pro-fogger N2O set-up that is installed with anular nozzles under the tunnel ram, to spray (accelerate) the intake charge into the bowl. With any luck and the extra engineering that went into the N2O set-up. I should see a way to get the 500hp boost, (where most soft plume set-ups rated at 500hp get about 400 total).

Its been dubbed the great dust collector.............. as outside of the dyno time, thats the only thing its done since the small big block came out. Used to actually street it when it was a 640hp big block, with a 250 plate N2O system.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
RCJ

I welded a drain plug to the bottom of mine. Then on the top side I welded a 1'' plug to pour the greese in.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Kim, I would highly recommend a Victor Tuff Cork gasket. I swear by them. I use them for valve cover, oil pan , trans pan, & third member gaskets. They don't leak & are reusuable.

Oh yeah, if that had been me under your car with the tarantula, I would have beat myself to death trying to get out from under there!!! ops: I don't do spiders!!!!! :lol:
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim
Engine is a 525cu in A460 block. Roller cam bearings etc... You just cant GET that kinda air through a 400cfm head. But the dyno rolled 1020hp na. Thats with a REAL LONG CAM.. 340 degrees... But Even if the heads squeek 410cfm... Figure most of the best get about 850hp from a similar combination............. SOOOO,
So what heads are you running on this that only flow 400 Cfm.

My TFS A-460's Flow 454 Int. and 306 Exh. Thanks To Charlie Evans

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

you are using 31 spline axles?i just grenaded a 31 spline strange axle and f'd up the bearing journal on my locker.35 splines and a spool in my future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in