c4 trans build help please - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

c4 trans build help please

I'm putting a c4 behind a 429 making about 700 horses. I'm putting in a PA transbrake,hardened input shaft,servo,there rebuild kit,and planetary. I'm also using a 3500 TCI converter. is there any modes to be done other than these maybe on the case should I get roller bearings for the input shaft. I'm using an early case where the dipstick is bolted to the pan. Thanks Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 AM

For sure use a roller #9 to get rid of the thrust washer thats prone to spinning the tangs off. Broader Performance has this kit.

You need a good band for the intermediate, I'm still searching on this but the welded kevlar/carbon flex band from BP also looks like the part to use.

Not a fan of the 6 pinion planet, seen a bunch break, and on the same not a bunch live. The 3 pinion will have less drag and be sufficient, but it must have the roller bearings under the pinion gears.

Not sure what they send for clutches and stuff, 5 borgwarner frictions and plain steels held fine in my forward, set clearance at .020-.025. They will prolly send an alto kit for the reverse (or direct), if the steels are the kolenes with the small oval holes cut in the plates, toss them in the trash as the holes will tear the friction material. You can use a std thickness kolene without the holes, but will need some plates cut etc to get it to fit. I'm gonna use std plain steels when I go back with my build.

Endplay is a big deal, teflon sealing rings are a must.

Have no idea on their brake set up, it should have instructions on how to adj the band etc, just follow their reccomendation and it should be fine.

I will have a detailed build up when I go back together with mine, I have some plates gettting machined and some other stuff on order, so it may be a few weeks before I begin it.

What are you using for a pan? The deeper thick cast alum pan is a must as well due to the fact the pan acts like a girdle and keeps the case from flexing as the bands try to push it apart with the raised pressures.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

c4

Thanks Jon on the info, Is there anything that needs to be done on the case like drilling the oil passages out? :roll: And what type of fluid should I run :?: Thanks Joe

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:51 AM

My case is a stock c5 unit. No need to drill anything. There are some issues if using a std #9 thrust, but again get the roller bearing conversion and be done with it, here is a clip of the add from BP;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This kit is easy to install and does not require machining of your case. Designed in our own shop as a “problem solver” for eliminating the #9 thrust washer in favor of a roller bearing. Kit includes sprag inner race, needle bearing assembly, hardened washer and special hub adapter. Don't forget this important location when rollerizing your transmission.
Price: $ 70.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run the JD hyguard tractor hyd oil mixed with a couple qts of plain mercon, take note this will tighten the converter up some, so might be best to use straight mercon to start with. Type F is a lot thinner, and my converter guy does not reccomend using it as the converters innard seem to wear more. Stay away from synthetics, run down to the local Ford house and pick up a case of two of the Ford brand, be sure its not the mercon/merconV blend as they are not making the straight stuff anymore and its getting hard to find. I use this fluid in my baddest of the bad diesel 4r100 builds and it holds up extremely well.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

c4

Thanks Jon for all youre help. Jon can I use the same flywheel I had for my c6 or do I need to put a diffrent flywheel on going to a c4?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 AM

same fw, be sure the converter fits it if its a different unit. An ultrabell is a wise investment.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in