DIY Engine start-up stand - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DIY Engine start-up stand

Hey guys, I'm working on a side project that should benefit my BBF passion .

I'm tired of getting the engine in my car only to find out I have a leaking head gasket, w/p gasket, and/or oil leak(s) that are difficult to address with the engine installed in the car. Therefore, I want to build a start-up stand for my BBF so I can start up the engine to check for these issues before installing it in the car.

It would be very easy to adapt this stand for other engines too. I prefer building this stand over a dyno for numerous reasons: no truck to haul engine to dyno and, honestly, I don't really care what hp it makes right now. I can easily tune the engine in the car.

Required items:
--Radiator/fan assembly
--battery/battery charger
--bell housing/starter
--ignition system
--fuel tank
--Headers

Questions

1) Do flexplates and flywheels use the same starter mounting depth? In other words, can I bolt a manual bell housing on the engine, but use a flexplate to engage the starter?

2) How wide should I build the bottom base? When free-revving an engine...it will torque the car over. Obviously, I don't want the engine to tip over in the garage.

3) If I mount the fuel tank higher than the carb, can I rely of gravity to feed the carb?

I don't expect to load the engine. I just want to run it and rev it to verify proper sealing. Get some casters, build a box frame, fabricate bolt-on engine stands/motor mounts, support rear of engine (bell housing), mount radiator, etc. It would probably take a full day to build everything, but it sure would be nice to have!

Assuming I haven't left any major components off my list, I only need to buy a bell housing and spend a couple hours of my time to build this thing. Then, I'll have it for any engine I build...

As always, any suggestions, guidance, and/or advice is appreciated.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
1. Flexplates and flywheels have different diameters, and require different starters and bell-housings. I use a manual bellhousing, but I modified it to accept auto starters and flexplates too.

2. I built mine off of an existing engine stand. The base of my stand is a little more than the width of the engine...maybe 32"? and it's never come close to flipping. Here's a video.... http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...63881159550320

3. Use a fuel pump. You don't want to mess around with it not lighting off right away. I use a mechanical pump.

Not that you asked.....but try to use a mechanical fan if you can. Electric fans have a hard time moving enough air to keep everthing cool.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We made one for starting old flathead engines that go into WWII tanks. Once you put one in its a *&^% to get at to fix anything, so it needs to be dialed in and leak free. They don't rev over 4K so tipping over isn't a problem.

On yours I have a few suggestions:

*I would certainly use a fuel pump!
*A set of gauges should also be manditory on a break-in stand.
*More exhaust! Open headers are only cool for a few minutes, then the neighbors get mad, your girlfriend/wife gets mad, the dog runs away...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM

-here's a link to a run in stand I use for various engines----with a 428 ford on it----
http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page2.html

-Maybe you can get some ideas.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Now if the RLK will post pics of his, I won't have to try to take pics of mine. BTW, we have NO radiators, garden hose connects to lower hose. Old used headers work fine, if too loud...a couple of reducers and two El Cheapo turbo muffs work fine. I've had everything from Toylet 4 bangers, 170 inch FORD 6's, blown rat motors, Windsors, Cleveland's, FE's, 385's, 350 & 455 Pontyerak's, Hemi Chryslers and more on mine with NO problems. And, soon, a 1940 Graham-Paige factory supercharged inline 6.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Ok Brotherman!

My engine run vid with stand I made..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu4reD7QI4k

Pic's for ideas below..

I can give ya dimentions and stuff just PM me..

Laters!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
s_stang

One more vid.. ya can see more detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRlFqfq_kI

I used an old ford van rad and some import elect fan.

Ign system was a chebbie module attached to an aluminum heat sinc.. I deas from here.. http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm

Used a c-4 pan fill bell but my plate I made, I also cut bolt holes for SM Blk Ford bell and Chebbie stick bell as well..

My engine mounts that bolt to the mid block are uni as well..

Well got to go!

Laters!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
I see no reason a gutted C6 case couldn't be used, so you don't have to look for a bellhousing and flywheel and starter. Obviously, it would make the stand a little longer, but it would allow room for mufflers to hang from the headers, hang the "dash" with gauges and ignition and fan switches and a small fuel cell. The local high school has their's set up this way.

Tom
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbogtom
I see no reason a gutted C6 case couldn't be used, so you don't have to look for a bellhousing and flywheel and starter. Obviously, it would make the stand a little longer, but it would allow room for mufflers to hang from the headers, hang the "dash" with gauges and ignition and fan switches and a small fuel cell. The local high school has their's set up this way.

Tom
If your gonna go to the expence of making the run stand ya mind as well make it uni.. That way ya can go to every machine shop, auto parts store and give'em a card for engine run in aka cam brake - in.. Charge what ever.. I'd say at least $270.. and make your project profitable..

Laters!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 AM

This is a great post :!:

No Sushi Zone
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbogtom

Tom
FMX auto transmission have detachable bellhousings that would work just fine for a run stand. Probably not on a dyno, but a run stand should be okay. They're on ebay all the time for nothing. Here's one now... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...spagenameZWDVW

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Not having a stack of bellhousings...or a place to store them, I use the "tin plate" to locate the starter. Before anyone starts screamin about the plate flex'n and the starter banging the sawblade, if someone will post a picture of the simple brace we use, I'll E-mail it to ya.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stevens
Not having a stack of bellhousings...or a place to store them, I use the "tin plate" to locate the starter. Before anyone starts screamin about the plate flex'n and the starter banging the sawblade, if someone will post a picture of the simple brace we use, I'll E-mail it to ya.
You can email the picture(s) to me and I'll post it up for everybody to see.

Bigbronco .............. @ .............. swbell.net

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in