Small block fox body guys, I have ??? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Small block fox body guys, I have ???

I am helping my mom and dad set up thier 79 mustang,
First the combo is a 79 hatch back no interior besides a 10 point cage, a pair of rci buckets, aluminum dash, a hand full of guages, shifter & a steering wheel. the wind sheild & rear windows are lexan the sides are still glass, I'm thinking the car wieghs around 2600-2800 lbs,
power comes from a 351W stroked to 393, AFR205 heads super victor intake & bbk headers, behind that is a C4 tranny & a 9" in the rear with I believe 26x10 slicks,

the car ran a few races last year and worked ok, this year at the first race when mom left the line it pulled hard right, so she babied it the rest of the night, this last weekend I drov the car in her place & when I left the line it did the same thing, I crawled under the car and found a couple bolts loose on the upper link bars, after tightening them up the car worked off the line a lot better, however I feel that it sits to high in the back & this is also causing bad handleing farther down the track,
Right now the rear suspension is a stock type 4 link with moroso trick springs & stockish type shocks,
Now that I have gotten involved I talked them into going with a set of adjustable coilovers, I am going to leve the 4-link & just ad the shock mounts, but before I get started I was wandering if anyone out there is running a similar combo (wieght & power) if so what spring rates are you guys finding works well? I'm thinking around 175-200 but I though I would get experianced opinions first,

Leroy Latham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would think 130 lbs might be better suited at that weight, maybe even less.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:08 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Are the torque boxes and Suspension points in good shape? Alot of hard launches will cause them to seperate and allow the car to wiggle around. .

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Antiroll bar will solve all your problems. My car hooked like the green mustang on pinks(when his trunk popped open). After the antiroll bar its straight as an arrow.
Check it out..........

http://j-angel.com/coppermine/displa...lbum=5&pos=115
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I used to run a 78 Futura. At first it had a mild 351 in it. Very smooth idle, etc... It would 60' in the high 1.5 to low 1.6 range on all stock rear suspension and a topped out front end.

I had problems when I dropped in the 14:1 357 w/ported heads, etc...

I'd shy away from the coil overs first and try to fix what you got. I've ran low 11's at 124 on stock upper/lowers, junk shocks and brand new stock springs. I found the most difference by going back to the stock rear springs. The springs I had in there before were some springs for the same year Fairmont wagon. It let the car sit higher, but when the power came on the rear went spinning.

Make sure the rear sits at the ride height it was designed for. $75 for springs is alot cheaper than $300+ for coilovers.

What's the 60' time? If anything I'd put some adjustable uppers in it and some solid lowers, new gas shocks and go from there.

And keep an eye on the torque boxes and all mounting points. A loose bolt will oval a hole in very short order... Just ask me.....

I bought my car from the guy who built it back in 87. Him and his brother had the suspension all figured out waaay back them without any adjustable stuff. I fudged it up by going to the taller spring. Once the car dragged *** again it hooked again....

Also, don't be afraid to fool with the front instead of the back first. Make sure the front struts aren't topped out because of too stiff a spring since the car is gutted. Mine was like that as well. A trim of the springs with the grinder netted some more traction once the horsepower was turned up.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

The torque boxes did have loose bolts, that is what fixed the problem leaving the lights, as for keeping the stock spring/shock configuration, the coil overs & mounting hardfware are already ordered, (might even bee here today,

The way the car sits Mom was getting into the mid 11's driving some what conservatively, I have only driven the car at a local street drag, & it is only 330 ft, when mom drove at the street drags she was in the 5.4- 5.6 range, then when I drove I got a 4.57 out of it, 60 ft times were in the 1.5 area,
The car consistanly pack the left front off the line, my main concern right now is keeping it from twisting itself in to a knot when leaving, & drivng decent the rest of the way down the track,

coil overs seem the easiest for me to adjust ride hight,

Leroy Latham
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

the only way to stop the car from twisting, and pulling right or left down the track is an ANTIROLL bar. Can you still send that stuff back and trade it?
Honest to God, it will solve 95% of your problems.
I run 9.70's with a 1.35 60 ft on a basically stock rear suspension, 50/50 shocks, southside lowers, stock uppers, stock springs, but with an antiroll bar.
You can drive this car with 1 finger down the track..............
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

What antiroll bar are you using?
I agree that the coilovers are not going to fix the problem with the car twisting up, I believe the poor handeling down the track is due to poor suspension geometery (the back end sticking up in the air). With coil overs the ride hight is easily adjustable & a change in spring rate is $80 & a day away.

Leroy Latham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in