wheelie bar for mud drags help - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wheelie bar for mud drags help

hi guys im looking for sugestions for a wheelie bar set up for our mud racer. its a pretty much full bodied truck 4 linked rear . its got to be a hand full since we put in the new converter. it either stands up or just blows the tires off on the line. i was thinking make it hook even harder so its not as apt to just spin on the line on a slick track. but its so touch right now id like to build something that if it hits to hard wont unload the suspention. i know what the regular 3 bar set ups look like any other ideas ? something new that wont unload something if it hits hard ? thanks guys brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Brad be careful with your wheelie bar design.
I'm sure you seen my post over on stompers with the rail crash at our fair. The driver got out of shape then got back into the gas, his wheelie bar wheel caught the right tire ruts and launched him over the concrete barrier. The outcome wasn't good.
I'm no expert but maybe the wheelie bar should be short enough that if the truck got a little sideways it couldn't drop into the tire ruts. Just an idea to think about.
mike
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:40 PM

I have noticed that some of the mud rails that have a wheelie bar on them use a dual bar with a single golf cart tire or similar sized pnuematic tire on them. I would think that you could find a way to "absorb" the violent launch onto the bar by using some springs or shocks on the bars where they connect to the top side of the frame. Don't know how well that would work for you, but it might be a place to start.
Mike

If you build what everyone else builds, you are only going to be as fast as they are.
www.loughengines.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in