Sad Story Here In Jersey - USE JACKSTANDS - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Sad Story Here In Jersey - USE JACKSTANDS

Marlboro man dies after his pickup truck rolls off floor jack and pins him underneath

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/27/07

MARLBORO A 58-year-old township man died from injuries he suffered when his antique pick-up truck apparently rolled off of a floor jack and pinned him under the vehicle, police said.

The man, whose name was not released today because family members were yet to be notified about his death, was behind his Tennent Road home, working on the drive-shaft of his 1937 Plymouth pick-up truck Wednesday evening, said Detective Erik Nolte.

The victim had been outside for about two hours when his wife discovered him pinned under the truck around 8 p.m., said Nolte.

She initially tried to raise the vehicle, but couldn't, so she called police.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The victim had raised the truck off the ground with a hydraulic floor jack, but the wheels of the pick-up were not blocked and jack-stands were not used, said Nolte.

The drive shaft had been removed from the rear-wheel drive vehicle, police said. Without that shaft in place, and without an activated emergency brake, the wheels of the truck would have been able to spin freely, said Nolte, who called the incident a tragedy.

Modifications had also been made to the victim's vehicle, so the Plymouth sits lower to the ground than a typical pick-up truck, police said.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../NEWS/70927035

I don't know this guy, but with all the cruise nights here in Jersey, I'm sure I've seen the truck at some time. Maybe Tom (Big Hurt) knows him?

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 PM
kim

wifes friend collected insurance on divorced husband when he became part of the garage floor beneath a 55. He was using concrete blocks as his jack stands.

Always think of what if... before crawling under. It takes another second to set a jack stand, a whole second to block wheels and set jack stands. Cars can be replaced.... the soft pink stuff.. not so much.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 PM

I always use jackstands and have gotten into the habit of putting my wheels under the car when I take them off for a little extra insurance.I know someone who got burned from hot exhaust when their car rolled over top of them but luckily that was their only injury.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM

I've lost two good friends because of this, always, ALWAYS use jackstands, and never work alone, one of my friends would probably had lived if he hadn't been working by himself. I couldn't tell you how may times I have been guilty of doing the same things, but not anymore.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Thats all good advice, been guilty when I was younger but not no more

I'm way past the "invencable" years. :roll: :lol:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 PM

If I'm just changing my tires to go to the track, I just jack it up and change the tires, but IF I get under it, It gets stands
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 PM

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
RJP

When I was in High School auto shop a friend brings in a friend of his 50 Chevy. Said Chevy owner told my friend not to use the shop bumper jack [the kind that span the width of the bumper widely used by shops] but he did. I pulled the front wheel and was under the car on a creeper doing something. As I slid out, arms extended over my head pushing myself out the car came crashing down, the brake drum imbedded itself in the concrete just where my neck and upper chest was. I wasn't out from under that thing for more than 2 or 3 seconds when the bumper brackets broke. I suddenly became a firm believer in jack stands. The instructor told the friend of the Chevy owner never to bring that car in again. Years later I went to see my old instructor and he showed me the hole in the concrete and he uses that divot to tell my story to all his new classes each year that it does happen.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The idea that anyone would think of getting under a car/truck etc that was not properly supported with HD jackstands is crazy..However, as this picture illustrates some people have no clue.

1967 Mustang coupe, Mustang II front suspension. W/RV camed, D3VE headed, 460/C6 (soon to be 557 CID w/ported police interceptor heads) out of the box BBC headers(with homemade steel adapters)

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 AM

Hey at least he used a stone to chock the wheel. Seriously though when I put a car on stands I always rock it hard in several directios to be sure the stands are secure. Not worth the risk.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp40
The idea that anyone would think of getting under a car/truck etc that was not properly supported with HD jackstands is crazy..However, as this picture illustrates some people have no clue.
Come on now. He's using not just one, but TWO 4x4's. A model of safety compared to some things I've seen. :roll:

I never never never get under a car without at least double safety....jack stands, backed up by the jack, and usually backed up by wheels under the car. I also give the car a good rocking to be sure nothing settles.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle
Hey at least he used a stone to chock the wheel. Seriously though when I put a car on stands I always rock it hard in several directios to be sure the stands are secure. Not worth the risk.
I agree, I always shake the car / truck hard. I have to work on my old truck alone and it weighs 4,670lbs. I don't think I can bench press it!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM

It looks like that guy in the picture, is welding next to the gas tank. Doesnt it? KABOOM :twisted:
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 AM

I actually try to push the car off the stands to make sure it is stable. I figure if a fatboy like me can't push it over then it's as safe as it can be without the wheels on the ground.

Thanks
Plowboy34
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 PM

One more to keep in mind too ,.......I live in cali where there are earth quakes.
Anyone wanna climb under my ride for me........ :shock:
I got jack stands...... :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in