Congratulations to Phillip Oakley & - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations to Phillip Oakley &

the team of Bobby and Jacki Small for a runner-up finish at Beech Bend in Bracket 1 at the NMRA Finals,,, and ALSO for a semi-final finish in his #1 Texas Roadhouse dragster.

Here's the inside scoop guys. Bobby had to go and do the family vacation thing in Gatlinburg, TN this past weekend, so he told Phillip he could drive his blue Mustang (the one on the back of the BB Ford Bash shirts) in the NMRA Finals at Beech Bend. Bobby's dad, Jacki Small trailered the car down there and was crew chief for it.

Phillip also entered his C-460 headed #1 dragster and Teddy was the crew chief of it. So Phillip was driving two cars in Bracket 1 and in fact he had both the fastest dragster and the fastest door car in the class.

Well,,,,,,,,he started going rounds with both cars and by the time most of our 460Ford.com buddies had called it a day and gone home, we found ourselves down to 7 cars and 2 of them were Phillip. By now things were really getting hectic and Jacki about came unglued when the oil filter blew off of the Mustang. Fortunately it was in the pits and happened when Phillip was backing up slowly. Teddy was busy shuffling cars to the staging lanes, and Jacki and I were doing the usual running back and forth with air tanks, fuel jugs, battery chargers, and CO2 cylinders keeping everything going. Pretty soon it was down the 4 cars and Phillip was 2 of them. Right about here, something reminds me of Gretchen Wilson's words, "I'm here for the party and I'm all jacked up". Point being, I knew Phillip was "in the zone". By now it's getting late Sunday evening and I'm calling Bobby in Gatlinburg with a progress report and he's going crazy and calling us back every 10 minutes.

First out in the semi-finals was Phillip in Bobby's Mustang, he takes the win light and then he was to be the next pair out in his (Phillip's) dragster. So we all had to wait while he flew back up the return road and jumped in the dragster. He cut a great light and took the finish line, but unfortunately he broke out by .001" in the Texas Roadhouse car. So now we're in the finals with Bobby's Mustang and the night air and cooler track temperature is changing things. Phillip dialed in a 4.98 e.t for it, but we ran a 4.97 e.t. and got beat in the finals.

By now it's 8:15 Sunday night, and we tear out of there and hit the interstate on the way home. All in all, it was a good day with Phillip winning runner-up and semi- final money. So we go for steaks at the Texas Roadhouse here in Owensboro, and while we're eating a late dinner I call Bobby and tell him to just stay in Gatlinburg, that Phillip, Jacki and I, are going to take his car and go racing next weekend at the Tenn-Tucks and that we were going to use his winnings to pay the $600 entry fee for all 3 days of the Tenn-Tucks. That's all folks!

P.S. It was a pleasure seeing all the www460Ford.com guys again, and I'm glad that about 25 of us got together at Rafferty's and had dinner Saturday night.

Later,

Charlie Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Forum Contributor

Congrats to Phillip !

If he had won in the dragster, then he would have had to race himself in the finals.

Funny thing is, Phillip and I talked about that very possibility two days before.

Alan

Alan Mackin

83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird 2.3 Turbo NHRA Stock Eliminator
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Mustang GT 5spd Saphire Blue (purple)
95 Mustang GT auto Saphire Blue (purple)IHRA Pure Stocker

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Phillip

I have watched Phillip from my dispaly all year at the Jegs races. Nothing he does in a car suprises me any more. If you stand back and just observe it is easy to see why he has kicked *** all year. Phillip flat comes to the track prepared to win.Simply put, great racer.
Nothing would please me more to see Phillip and Craig finish up 1-2 in the Jegs series. 2 Fords at the top, just as it should be.

69 Shelby
SBF Lenco
Killer Competition headers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Guys that takes great skill and focus Great Job Phillip

Colin

C. Wigle
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Guys thanks for all the compliments. Tim i will be running the Tenn tuck this weekend so wont be able to make that happen in the Jegs series. Have to go where I fill I can collect the most change. Looks like craig will be able to fill in for me in the quick 8 shoot out and hopefully bring home the win. Again just want to say thanks to all that support my race team Lem Evans, Charlie, and Tim at the Fab shop. You guys are who makes it possible for me to have confidence to lay it on the line.

Thanks Phillip
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Congrats Phillip !!! One question. If you had got both cars to the final round, which car would have won? Bobby's Stang or your dragster? :? :lol:

Chris

VPRC 1998 Mustang
557 CJ :1.15 60', [email protected] mph @ 2600lbs
665 C&C Hemi : To Be Determined
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Oakley

Phillip,

I completely understand. Go kick that *** there. That will be fine.

Tim

www.thefabshopheaders.com

69 Shelby
SBF Lenco
Killer Competition headers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSportsman916
Congrats Phillip !!! One question. If you had got both cars to the final round, which car would have won? Bobby's Stang or your dragster? :? :lol:
We were all joking abou this very scenario all weekend and it DAMN near came true :shock:

Congrats Phillip, you DA MAN!

Edit:

My Friend Derrick from L-burg made it down to the quarters in B1, Phillip you didn't put him out did ya? :P

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in