Thinking of selling my '66 Gal? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thinking of selling my '66 Gal?

Got to thinking tonight (after a couple beers) that maybe I should ditch my '66 and just finish my '68. I got other projects too. Restoring my '79 CR250R Elsinore. Also gotta start on ym CB750. Rode it this season as-is but cracked the trans case and decided I may as well start restoration once I'm done with the Elsinore in a couple weeks.

Without telling you guys what I have into it, what do you think it's worth? It's a '66 Galaxie, originally a 240 straight six. Now a 289. Engine is fresh with ported 289 heads. $2900 receipt for engine work. Never ran before me. I broke it in and put maybe 500 miles on it in the past month. I was told the C4 was also rebuilt. No receipt for that but from the outside it looks new, and seems to drive alright.

New brakes all around. Lines up front new and new dual circuit master cylinder (application is for a '67 Gal). So no more unsafe single circuit brakes.

Car comes with lots of trim pieces. Only needs rocker trim and either front or rear wheel well trim (haven't seen which one I have yet). Have the rare quarter panel rocker trim, hood ornament (long piece in the center from front to back).
Body is solid and straight. Older paint with several chips and imperfections. Looks nice from 20' but get close and you see the imperfections. Bumpers need to be rechromed.
Interior is rough. Seats not torn but badly faded.Dash has been recovered, haven't looked under it. Interior trim around windshield is rusty but I have nice upper trim and visor brackets to put on. Just need good pillar trim. Needs a new right rear window as the frame is cracked so you ahve to guide the window up the last bit as it seals to the top.
Top is rough. Has one small hole in front of the rear bow and should be replaced. Needs adjustment as a leak on passenger side where it seals to windshield. Seal seems alright but lever doesn't pull it tightly to the windshield frame. Easy fix but top should be replaced anyhow. I've only been in the rain once in the car on the way to a big car show at the shore.

Basically a good reliable driver as-is. The past 3 weeks I've been driving it almost every day to work (work maybe 2 miles from home). Never given me a lick of trouble and it's been great convertible weather.

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/66/P1010623.JPG[/img]

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/66/P1010636.JPG[/img]

[img]http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/Galaxie/66/P1010635.JPG[/img]

So what do you guys think it's worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

that's cool.

That's a cool car. Keep it. I don't know what it's worth, but if it ain't costing you anything to keep, save it for nice days.

I dig Galaxies. 8) :lol:

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Cadunkle,
First off, that is a nice car! I am partial to older, big Fords but yours is very cool.
You have to decide for yourself whether you can part with it. I am facing the same with 2 460 Mustangs in my garage. I keep thinking if I wasn't putting money into 2 of them and just into one, how much better would the one be? Just my line of thinking.
As far as the value of your car, I believe with what it is and what part of the country you are in says the car's worth might surprise you. I looked on all the craigslists in your area and ebay and found that just like everywhere else, classic car prices are going through the roof. Add to that the the convertible factor. I wont actually take a specific guess on it's value but multiple thousands is a good starting point.
I would recommend you research all the classic car ads you can find to get an idea of what today's value is. The ridiculous asking prices are actually driving market values up! I find NADA is always a little high IMHO by about 33%+. craigslist and eBay are goodplaces to start. eBay has several right now.
I spend a good chunk of my life buried in classic car stuff here on the west coast and it's gettin crazy out there! The east should be even better for you.
I hope this helps!

Jeff

'67 466 / C6 / 9" Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

I would agree with cletus66. I sold a '68 Cougar GT390 car for dirt because of other projects I had (have) going on. It had a built 428 with Edelbrock heads. I REALLY kick myself in the a$$ for selling it. As a side note I have bike projects as well. '77 Yamaha XT500, '86 Yamaha TT600 and a '84 Honda XL600R. Bruce
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Cool about the bikes. My buddy has a Yamaha IT465. Took it out last weekend for the first time (had to replace top end gaskets). The thing is crazy fast, but impossible to steer straight on the sand. Scary bike. My CR250 rides real nice, fast and easy to handle.

Anyhow, I just wanted to get an idea of what I could get for teh car if I were to sell it as it is now. It won't cost me anything to keep it and let it be as is 'till I get time but in January I'm going back to school which will get me 10's of thousands in debt and I won't be working, at least not at a good job like I am now. I guess what I'd get from the '66 wouldn't hardly put a dent in that debt though. I don't know, just wanted to get an idea of price so I have some numberes to contemplate.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

No one has a ballpark idea of what you'd pay for this car?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

That's a pic of my first car. My dad bought it for me when I was 15. 26 years ago. We got it for 200 bucks with a 390 and 4 speed. One of the heads and the intake was in the trunk. :roll: We got it running with a 352, and when my dad found out what insurance would cost, I never drove it (legally) till I left home, got out of the Marines, and drug the car out of the mountains behind my 69 XL. It has had several combos in it including a 460/C6, and it is on the back burner right now, but it will NEVER be sold.

Currently, it has a half finished Alston chassis with a 4 link, and a fox style front end. If it never moves again under its own power, it really doesn't matter. :lol: :lol: It is inside and high and dry.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Found a prospective buyer at cruise night last night. This guy has been looking for a '65-'67 convertible for a while but everything finished has been out of his price range. His first car was a '66 convertible with a 390. Told him $5000-ish. He took my number to give to his friend. Said he may be interested in apackage deal with the car and the 390 I have in my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in