my yearly SPEEDOMOTIVE bashing - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my yearly SPEEDOMOTIVE bashing

paid speedomotive 7k for a dart big bore 427 shortblock,had to send back the rotateing assy so they could cut the counterweights to clear the bottom of the pistons properly,noticed that the thrust journal on the crank #3 had benn welded and machined,called and compained thay said they do it all the time,after i did some CSI on the part #'s they started out with a 351w crank,turned it down to the cleveland mains and welded and machined the thrust journal,and the crank was knife edged to boot,that i paid extra for.i talked and complained to GORGE who i guess is the owner,he said send the crank back and ill reimburse you,i said can i get that in writeing,he said WHAT THE @#$K,ARE YOU KIDDING ME,IM THRUE DEALING WITH YOU!!,wont return my calls wont have any thing to do with me.all i wanted was the RIGHT crank in there not some wittled down piece. so guys buyer beware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

damit i just relized i posted in the wrong section
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's wrong with welding and then machining to get the thrust bearing to fit right? As for the counterweights not clearing the pistons, that is something they could have easily mocked up before sending it out... and should have.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

they started out with 351W crank,not the cleveland crank,they took it from 3.00 mains to 2.75 mains,then they added material to thrust journal,then ground it to the cleveland journal width,i have blueing on the crank on the #3 journal,this was a nitrated 4340 crank.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 03:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
Speed-o-motive strikes again.

Friend ordered a 400 Chevy short block. 7 pistons were d-shaped dishes, the 8th was a full dish.

Another friend ordered a 456 stroker kit for this 400 Chrysler. Balanced rotating assembly. I apparently put the crank in perfectly when we plastigaged the mains, because when we actually put the motor together, the counterweights hit the block. And on these motors, putting a 440 crank in a 400 means that one counterweight needs to be cut down for clearance. A well known fact among mopar engine builders. Could've clearanced the block I suppose, but he paid for a drop in assembly...
Might be complaining about stuff that isn't important, but it's the details that count.
Oh, that 400 chevy had sleeves too, and if you know 400 chev's, sleeving them makes the head bolt holes get extremely close to the sleeve's outside bore which usually results in cracks from the bolt hole to the bore.
Fun fun fun.
I too, would not want to run a welded up, ground on crank when I was supposed to be getting new parts. Be different if they told me up front that's what I was getting...

Bumblebee tuna...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

i totaly agree with you mopar,especialy when the correct crank is available.my crank was for 6.200 rod,well we wound up going to a 6.125 to get the ring package down (blower) and get the wrist pin out of the oil ring,well there was the problom,they didnt take in to account the piston coming closser to the counter wieghts.this will be my mission in life to warn people about speedomotive,every body makes mistakes,its all how you take care of you customers after the sell,ill prob get a scat crank and get it all rebalanced.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Torino , I feel your pain man! That is total bs , a 7k shortblock should contain 1st line premium components , not a 'make it work' crankshaft.
I realize 'things happen' , but getting pissed at you for asking them to make it right in writing...well that speaks volumes regarding their intent and integrity.

Ken Bailes
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM

WOW !! These *****s are still in the business of selling VERY POOR engines parts. They got me way back in about 1979 when I bought an engine kit for a 289 where the sales pitch stated All Crankshafts GUARANTEED not to be ground more then .010" & .010" . Well, of course mine came .020" & .040" but I got .010" bearings in the kit ! So, of couse that was the first & last time I got anything from them. But, I really thought that well maybe it was just a mistake at that time, that over the years they would have gotten thier $hit together, it seems that I guessed wrong.
P.S. I called to complain and get another crank , but they wanted to send me other bearings, I asked about the guarantee? And they said "yeah that they were making it right with different bearings ! So I blew a fuse over the phone and they hung up on me...that was that !

Look at all the money Henry had,
and he still drove a Ford!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 AM

It's awesome how they try to convince you that what they sent you will work just fine despite the fact that their advertising states something entirely different from what you are getting. I know they have it in them to build quality motors, all you have to do is look at some of the engine competitions they've entered. But I'm starting to wonder if they're paying for their "quality", magazine worthy motors with money they've stolen from their customers by sending them garbage and then not making things right. Hey whatever sells motors right? They need to have the Better business bureau called on their sorry behinds.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

moparman i think you hit it,they wont screw there 20k plus trophy truck engine customers.all i wanted was to send me the correct crank and hell i would get it balanced my self.BUT NOOOOOOOOO!!!!they wanted my crank back,they said they would refund my money on the crank,i asked if i could get that in writing.holy $%^& batman.i guess i questioned his integrity.DAMN STRAIGHT I DID.saaarrrryyy BASTADS!!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM

yearly bashing ? sounds like you bought from them before. you must like pain
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

To be fair - a Windsor thrust bearing is WIDER than a Cleveland so, unless you use bearing spacers which have Windsor thrust surfaces, you MUST add metal to at least ONE crank thrust surface to get it narrow enough for the Cleveland thrust bearing.

Is there another propper way to ADD metal to the thrust surfaces of a crankshaft... ?
IF it is done correctly, there is nothing wrong with welding a crankshaft.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

they ground down a 3.00 main to a 2.75 main,they added to the thrust journal,thay turned the counter weights down to clear a shorter rod,after i had to beg them to.they never told me they were going to take a windsor crank and hack it up to fit the cleavland main block.what about the nitrating on the crank.i bought from them a 1-1/2 yrs ago.just puttin the word out.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I don't know about anything which happened to you in the past AND I was only talking about the thrust surfaces here. If you knew the crank was originally a 3.000" main journal crankshaft then what is there to tell you...? It HAD to be a "Windsor" or "M" crank to begin life and either of those engines have cranks with thrust surfaces farther apart than Cleveland thrust surfaces.

Unless it is a specially made billet, there is NO crankshaft with a Cleveland thrust width which also has a 3.000" main journal to start; if it is a 3.000" main journal to start with, it ISN'T a crank with Cleveland thrust width and that is a simple fact so, there is NO WAY to get that crankshaft to a Cleveland thrust width without adding metal. If it begins life with a 3.000" main journal it also already has a wider thrust.
There is only so many ways to say this and it's automaticly understood to any professional Ford engine builder familiar with using a Cleveland size main in a Windsor block.

There ARE other cranks with Cleveland diameter main journals which have a Windsor thrust width; which is WIDER.

Any other troubles you might have had is a shame however, thrust surface welding to get it sized right - is normal, anywhere you go.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:15 PM

I think he was trying to say that they gave him the impression he was getting a crankshaft that was made specifically for his block, not one that was modified to fit his block. Immaterial whether or not that is an acceptable way to make a crank work if you were not made aware that the modified crank was what you were going to get in the mail. Not trying to start a crap tossing contest, just stating things as I see them.

Bumblebee tuna...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in