Lake Hill Speedway Coming Back To Life! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Lake Hill Speedway Coming Back To Life!

Lake Hill Speedway is a small asphalt oval track in the St Louis area that was where Nascar race drivers Rusty and Mike Wallace and Ken Schrader got their start. The track closed after the 1980 season and has been sitting full of water and decaying ever since. A new owner recently purchased the property with plans to develop it BUT NOW the rumor is that the track area is now thought of as historic(very true track opened in the late 1940's) and will be restored and used for 4 races a year! It's possible due to the fact that the speedway is nearly perfectly located between two large railroad berms and must be entered through a tunnel thus it's very isolated from the outside world around it and would not cause noise problems. Hopefully this will happen because there's a reunion planned to take place in late November at the track and in this video it's been pumped out, they are removing the mud and starting to repair buildings,track wall etc. Does this sort of thing EVER happen to an old race track?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:shock: Looks like they have there work cut out for them. But it's great that they are bringing a track back to life.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Lake Hill

Dave,
Watched many of those guy's race there along
with jerry sifford,russell wallace,larry phillips. I hope it comes back sure do miss it.
Steve

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Lake Hill was a neat track and a big thing for me when I was a kid. A few years ago Larry Phillips told me about how much fun he had running at that little track. Lake Hill had rather long straightaways for such a little track and tight corners.

Back in 1975 my Dad had built a hobby stock that won the season championship with Paul Gebhart doing the driving, they ran an Oldsmobile.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Lake hill

That's also were I saw my first Jack Roush motor. A boss 302 that was destroked do you remeber the car or driver? I think I still have some pic's of it. That was the first racetrack I was intoduced to by my dad at age 5. Hoped every weekend we would go!!!!
Steve
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Sievekings used Jack Roush for their USAC stuff, Granada and Mustang but I don't know if they ever used any of his stuff at Lake Hill, I guess that's possible. I know they ran a 289 down there one year when they had Lake Hill class for small engines, 289 Ford, 283 Chevy etc. Sifford told me that was a lot of fun to drive, I'll bet. They had some gear in that deal, it wasn't a Boss. Later I do think they ran a 331 Boss 302..

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Wow. Dave, that is so cool! I really hope it works out. Bruce
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Lake hill

Dave,
Jerry did get to run the red mustang with roush power and the usac torino but i don't remeber if the the torino was sporting the boss 9 at that time.
Would have to dig thru all the photos to find out. Also got to see the st louis truck port sponsered chevelle of Alan Potter launch off the railroad ties at full throttle and take down a light post about 29 feet in th air . Ah the good old days!!!
Steve
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

The old Torino did use a Boss 429 engine for a while. When I was a kid my dad worked on Sieveking's stock cars but it was after they switched to running a Granada in USAC and Ken Schrader was their driver. This was after Sifford's accident when he got hit by a car in the pits at Lake Hill. The last time I went to Lake Hill while it was still functional and the only time I was ever in the pits there while a car was going around the track was when I went there with my Dad to meet Don Sieveking about something. They had rented the track to do some testing with the Granada, it might have been the first time Schrader had driven for them but I don't know for sure. This would have been in late summer of 1979.

I was there the night Allen Potter knocked down the Sunset Ford sign in turn one. That photo is one of the most famous from the St Louis racing scene. That was the first race of the season a late model heat race. Our driver was so nervous after seeing that happen he couldn't hold down the clutch pedal in the car! It was his first race, he won the championship that year so he got settled down pretty quickly.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in