Stealing catalytic converters - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Stealing catalytic converters

I know a lot of you guys have tow rigs and such, this may be relavent.
There were about 30 replies to this post of guys who have had or know of people who had their cats cut off. This is all over town, Malls, stores, factories etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO
Rumor has it that Toledo has a fun new theft epidemic; stealing the catalytic converters off of vehicles. One was stolen off of a car in Target's parking lot yesterday evening. Obviously they're targeting taller vehicles :?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo Blade
Catalytic converter thefts rise in Toledo
Black market buys platinum, copper

By LAREN WEBER
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Mark Janowiecki put up a fence, installed security cameras, and increased lighting at his heating and cooling business in downtown Toledo, but it hasn't stopped thieves from breaking in.

On Saturday, someone cut the fence that surrounds M&M Heating & Cooling Inc., 1515 Washington St., and stole catalytic converters from five company vehicles and copper piping from air-conditioning units.

He said his loss totaled about $10,000, about $2,000 for the converters and $8,000 in copper.

Mr. Janowiecki said he doesn't want to move out of Toledo, but he's run out of options.

"I like downtown, but it's getting hard to survive down here," said Mr. Janowiecki, company president. He plans to move his firm to Rossford by next year.

The theft of catalytic converters has become increasingly worse during the last year because the platinum inside them makes them a desirable theft target, said Toledo police Sgt. Chris Delaney, of the theft unit.

Catalytic converters are part of a vehicle's exhaust system that reduces harmful emissions.

Platinum is a precious metal and is sold at an average of $1,252 per troy ounce, the standard unit used to measure precious metals. Twelve troy ounces equals one pound.

The price of platinum has continued to climb over the last four years, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, an agency that is part of the Department of Interior.

Police said thieves are selling stolen converters to scrap yards or auto repair shops, though they are unsure at what price.

"It's mostly black market," Sergeant Delaney said. "No legitimate scrap yard or garage would buy those from some guy in a pickup truck."

Joel Scheinbach, warehouse manager at Pat Young Service Co., an auto parts distributor, said it frustrates him knowing there are people willing to purchase stolen property.

Mr. Scheinbach said catalytic converters were stolen last week from four of the 10 vehicles he had parked on his property at 1122 Monroe St.

He estimates thieves receive between $75 and $150 for a stolen catalytic converter.

Mr. Scheinbach decided to install motion-sensing lights and security cameras in an effort to deter thieves at the business, which is surrounded by a barbed-wire fence.

"If I can't service my customers, they'll go elsewhere," Mr. Scheinbach said.

It's estimated that between 300 and 500 catalytic converters were stolen from Faurecia Exhaust Systems Inc., 543 Matzinger Rd., which manufactures catalytic converters and exhaust systems, during the last year.

Two hundred of those were stolen within the last month, according to a police report.

The estimated loss was between $25,000 and $30,000, a police report stated.

Catalytic converters can be removed from a vehicle within minutes using an electric saw.

They often are stolen from pickups, delivery vehicles, and sport utility vehicles that are higher off of the ground, making it easier for thieves to crawl underneath, Sergeant Delaney said.

Initially, thieves targeted businesses like Mr. Janowiecki's, which have several service vehicles parked outside. But now they're stealing catalytic converters randomly from vehicles, the sergeant said.

A catalytic converter was stolen from a man's vehicle while he was inside a hardware store, Sergeant Delaney said.

"It's gotten to where these guys are getting them pretty quick," he said.

Bob Amonette, who owns Bob's Tire & Auto, 1618 Monroe St., said he installed a catalytic converter in a woman's minivan last week after it had been stolen while she was at a sporting event at Waite High School. Her bill was $649.

Police continue to investigate thefts of catalytic converts, but Sergeant Delaney said making arrests is difficult unless they catch thieves in the act or someone tips off authorities.

And the sergeant said that isn't usually the case.

"The people who are buying them have to know they're stolen," he said.
anyone else know anyone who got hit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 AM

all thanks to crystal meth :evil: :evil: :evil:
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 AM

Seem to be the new pass time here in upper Wisconsin. I heard of a few getting stolen here and I couldn't figure out what they where finding so lucrative to risk crawling under a vehicle with a sawsall. but now I see it's the Platinum that's in them there after .... I thought there was just Ceramic filters in there. didn't know there was Platinum too .
Wow $15,024 per pound of Platinum wonder just how much Platinum there is in each unit. I heard you can get 16V Sawsalls for about $250 bucks .

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 AM

There is a company here in Houston that reclaims the Platinum from Cats.

Not only do they get Cats from the wrecking yards in the US but they get Cats from all over the world by the container load.

As I remember they process about 10,000 Cats a month.

Jerry Tomasello
70 Torino 429
Club Moderator - the Ford Torino Club
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFordTorinoClub/
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM

That's funny, my 6.0 diesel might get it's cat stolen.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 AM

How long do you think it will be before the Dem's blame it on Bush?

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 AM

They are busy right now blaming the CA fires on him, so it will be a while.

Jerry Tomasello
70 Torino 429
Club Moderator - the Ford Torino Club
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFordTorinoClub/
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:02 PM

we are starting to get the same problem here in the uk its not electric saws they use (wont go into details -online ) but there are quicker and less noiser wayes of taking them, also the price of scrap cars are so high now scumbags are stealing peoples licenced cars and running them in for scrap ....i have had a van and a my mercades car stolen in the last 12 months.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 PM

Glad none of my vehicles have catalytic converters. Newest is a beat to hell '86 F-250 and I have a wonderful sticker on the rad support that says "NON-CATALYST". That rad support is going into my next truck. :twisted:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 AM

People here have been stealing copper pipe and fixtures. One school had all the irigation valves stolen because they were made of copper... go figure.

68 coupe, 557+glide...
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
84 Gt 'vert, 95 engine, AFR 165's, stock cam, performer with 600 holley
[email protected] in the AZ summer heat
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH
People here have been stealing copper pipe and fixtures. One school had all the irigation valves stolen because they were made of copper... go figure.
We have been having this problem forever! For example; this last hospital we are building we have had problems. Hospital maintance workers would come into the new construction area stealing copper cut offs, electricians spools of wire. Even had the nerve to take a Av box and rip the condensing unit out of it!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 AM

I noticed about a year ago the local wrecker would cut them off before the cars hit the yard and I saw an ad recently where someone is buying used ones for $10 and up.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Cats

When I was doing the "dyno guy" gig, I'd take my battery powered sawsall with me to the shop and take all the cats off the piles of Mustang H-Pipes they had in the recycling bin...every Saturday.

I'd get between $6-12 a cat for them at the recycling yard for the 30 seconds it took to collect one. And, this was while I was waiting for the cars to finish and/or get prepped on the dyno prior to tune; so it filled my waste time. Free money.

B

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM

there are 3 precious metals in them ill have to look it up again but ill buy all of them you can get for 10 and up maybe a whole lot more than that the new converters arent the ceramic based they are a wire foil deal not worth much . we have been haveing radiators cat converters and trans. all stollen out of our salvage yard. we had a semi trailler that had radiators we had stored for sale and they cleaned it out along with what was still on the cars and trucks in the yard . lots of lazy butted drug headed waste of oxegen out there these days
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 PM

i do scrapping on the side for exttra cash to support my truck pulling adiction
if i get a car for scrap the first thing i do is cut the cat off
i have never gotten less than 20.00 for one
i have gotten up to 70.00
and next trip should be even better
they pay the most for cat's off imports
than gm's
dodge is next
and they give the least for ford's cat's
but i have sold them to recying centers they pay about the most
and i sold some to a guy locally
eather way you bring them in and they dont ask any questions
i have seen some freaky guy's there selling stuff that could very well be stolden it is getting scary
it kinda started some of us guy's around here were takeing old derby cars in and junk for extra cash
now you see ganster typ people selling stuff the scrap yards
kinda makes you wonder were they got it? i am shure it wasnt in the back 40 were grand pa had a few junkers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in