Reasonable parts pricing? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Reasonable parts pricing?

who has a supplier that is reasonable? I mean one that has better (cheaper) prices than most.

Once upon a time far far away there was a man, (still is) by the name of Ken Moe who had a deal called "Performance Motorsports Club" where you paid a membership fee, $28.50 yearly and recieved BIG discounts on parts. An example of some I bought (at that time)

Intake manifold- $137.50, Jegs- $218.00
Dove rockers - $148.00, Jegs- $249.00, not Dove.

All other pricing was discounted as much or more. I know that some will say "buy from those on this site" but with shipping what it is now plus the prices it is not the most economical, I will support fellow 460rs as much as possible, tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
WFO

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Deal with Lem or others on this Board. He will treat you right. The discount places will sell you stuff cheap, but if you don't have a '68 camaro, then you both will lost!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I have inquired by Emails before and never got an answer.

Bad Company Till the day I die!

Bob Carr

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr466
I have inquired by Emails before and never got an answer.
Keep in mind that a lot of the folks (vendors) on here are smaller operations and sometimes it is hard to promptly respond to inqueries. I would try to give them a second shot if you are really interested.

Now when I am dealing with BIG TIME companies that don't return calls or respond to emails - then I will pay more to buy my stuff from someone else.

G. Allen Pearson
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 PM

https://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=17813

This is what you get when you work with some of the bigger Warehouses, I try and buy most of the parts i need from the board members, it helps them and I know if I call they have an Idea what i am talking about not just pick a bunch of parts and send them hoping they are right...
it is worth the extra you have to pay and knowing that you get the right stuff is worth the little extra.....

JMHO

Randy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Forum Contributor

Always remember you get what you pay for and I'd gladly not do business with the Walmart type dealers any more. They got me once and sold me some crap and I will not give them one cent more. If you deal with the cheap guys they will not have the support or knowledge to get you what you need most, good honest knowledgable advice from someone who has been there done that and will do it right again.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

"REASONABLE"???? All the dealers on here have reasonable prices.
If you wish to buy "Really cheap" then simply go to someone who will buy the stuff by the "boxcar" and he'll not know much about what he's trying to dropship to you.
Of course, you now have the imputus to whine and complain about how you got screwed and there was no personal service, etc., etc.

RREASONABLE has a definition which goes WAY beyond the actual part cost.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
"Reasonable" is really a very fuzzy word and everyone has a different idea of what's reasonable.

The truth is, there just isn't much margin to work with in parts these days and if a retailer isn't moving thousands in a particular manufacturer's product, most manufacturer's don't even want to talk to them. I can't really blame them. It makes their business less complicated and ultimately more profitable, which is the name of the game for those guys.

The big on-line retailers have such buying power that they're often selling parts for less than I pay direct from the manufacturer. I'm not going to talk exact numbers, but next time you spend a couple hundred dollars at a local store, look at the tax you payed and ask yourself if that's a reasonable profit for a retailer to take when selling you performance parts. If you're buying parts from a small independant shop/builder, chances are he's not even making that much.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM

There is more to the picture than price, ever hear "in the abscence of value there is only price"? Few would disagree that this board is attended by some of the best talant in the industry, available to you and me at no cost what so ever, but lets not forget that many of these Professionals make their living selling parts and services.
That said, I'm building my 545 from parts sourced entirely from board members, the parts have been very competitively priced, and if you stop to consider the private consulation that came with these purchases, no parts house could touch it!
I'll hand the soap-box to the next guy now...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
There is more to the picture than price, ever hear "in the abscence of value there is only price"? Few would disagree that this board is attended by some of the best talant in the industry, available to you and me at no cost what so ever, but lets not forget that many of these Professionals make their living selling parts and services.
That said, I'm building my 545 from parts sourced entirely from board members, the parts have been very competitively priced, and if you stop to consider the private consulation that came with these purchases, no parts house could touch it!
I agree.......

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasea466
Quote:
I agree.......

Ditto since becoming a member of this board I deal with the members here amost exclusively and very happy to do so, I know they know what you are looking for and I know when I get it, it will fit, if not they make it right... and above all that THE consultation is priceless as stated...

Plus you make some good friends to boot.

Randy
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM

I have personally bought parts from a couple members on this board (Lem Evans for most stuff and Paul Kane on oil pumps etc) And I can tell you in all honesty I got a better deal, better service and more knowledge then summit could ever hope for.
Honestly unless the difference is staggering it's worth dealing with the guys on here.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One other point about corresponding by e-mail....

It is difficult to get specific answers unless you ask very specific questions. For example, if you want a price on a stroker kit, it's not just an issue of bore, stroke, & rod length....

Do you want rings & bearings? What kinds? Do you want Competition Series bearings? Cheap rings? How cheap? Are you planning on using nitrous? How good a piston do you need?

It winds up to be a lot easier & quicker to cover all this on the phone...particularly so when you consider that the odds are fairly good that the "prospective buyer" isn't going to buy anything anyway...

...or at least not until he checks with four other places....

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:43 AM

Talking about value, shipping, taxes, and supporting the board members that so generously share their knowledge-

I made a list of the vendors/suppliers and the order I try to use them when working on the bigblock...

*I try very hard to support my local speed shop. The prices are decent, and its local guys that work hard and race too.
*I have also purchased from board members with great success.
*And like most people I have bought from Summit/Jegs.
*Finally is AutoZone/O'Reiley
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM

The vendors to the most part are awsome on this forum.I am currently gathering parts and pieces together for my A/Head project. All of the parts except the block has came from Forum members.Without this forum i would'nt even be doing this deal. Before joining this forum I was only familiar w/oem 385 series Ford engines. But, after reading about your buildups and what works and what doesn't I know alot more than I did 1 yr. ago. Lem Evans has helped steer me along and has sold me all of my short block parts at prices I couldn't begin to match at Summit or Jegs. Plus Lem is a cool guy, he tells you straight up, I have met both Lem and Charlie, and I now call them my friends. I picked up my heads Heads last weekend From Charlie and they looked great. And Lem personally met me and my wife at the machine shop to deliver some of my other parts. I appreciate and enjoy doing business with someone whom will go out of their way and take time of their own to help you out. I'm sure there are similar stories about other vendors on this forum. When I can,I will buy from Forum members First. Thanks Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in