385 Nostalgia when the forum began - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
385 Nostalgia when the forum began

There was a switch from 429 to 385 forum long ago. Chilly ran the forum from his home computer. Sometime it would freeze up and the forum wouldn’t work.

You were lucky to get a response to your question within three days.. Scott Johnston use to make the majority of replies. There was Brett and CJ (cars by Carl) on there as well. Foxxmann, use to comment on a Fairmont. Pretty much 466 CI ruled.. No aspirations of any bigger CI.

Toward the end of the old web site and moving to the Net54 web site the engine was transforming to the offset ground 514 animal.. Well the rest is just history

Any of you remember the old forum please add your comments.. I just though it would be neat to show the evolution of the forum.. Then & Now.

Laters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I don't believe that Lem or Charlie Evans had been on the forum until we met them at the Engine Masters' Challenge in Memphis. They were there with Mike Phillips and his Buick engine along with hanging out with Jon Kasse. It seems as though they have been around since the beginning, not so...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I came along in 2004 if I remember correct. I think it was Scotty that linked me to this site from Ford-trucks. I had just started working on my 79.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Found...

When I found the old (net54) site, I went back and read EVERY page from the beginning. :shock: I have lots of free time at work, and people who didn't know how a forum works kept asking me "Why do you keep looking at that same page?" :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raising 2 kids and paying the mortgage REALLY put a cramp in my racing activities. I understand that guy with the car in the yard for 10 years, and he's gonna fix'er up some day. And then I stumbled onto this place.

I'm pretty sure this site has cost me over 20 thousand bucks. Y'all motivated me to pull a 460 off a stand that had been sitting for 10 years. I put that in my 2wd. Then I practiced porting heads on my 4x4 beer truck build. Then I built another 460 for the Mustang below, which necessitated a car trailer to pull it around, and 750 bucks in gas to the inaugural BB Bash. I also bought the Crites mounts to trial fit a 460 into my 67 fastback Stang. and, and, and, A.D.D. attack!!!!.......I gotta stop coming to this site, or I'll be broke.

And for my next trick, I'm gonna build a...................

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66

I'm pretty sure this site has cost me over 20 thousand bucks.
but just think... you would have probably ended up buying a new car or truck and spent way more, and had a whole lot less fun

my mistake was spending 5k building up a 302 into an all forged 347 stroker with afr heads for my maverick... i should have just dropped the 302 into the maverick as it was and concentrated on getting my 545 stroker truck done... i could have had it all finished and going good by now.

just another dual quad 545 :-)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 AM

Now I don't remember being on the forum before the Network54 deal. I think I came around about a year after 54 started. I know it was around Christmas time, I had lots of time to play on the computer and it almost became an addiction. I was really tickled with my discovery, I do know that. I remember Gary Blair posting on there a lot too (very valuable advice!).

That was before I started porting my own heads and I had flow numbers from someone else on a set of PI heads that I had posted. Decided to take them to Dave McLain and have them flowed again only to find out that the numbers that were given me and I posted were NOT accurate. I think I purchased my own bench about a year or so later.

I remember CJ and I butting heads a time or two! :cry: I "try" to stay away from that now. :?

Later, Bret

Pullin For Christ
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM

Darrin

Darrin, I really considered selling out and buying a new GT500. (my daughter's middle name is Shelby). But then they started scalping them for 20K over retail, and I decided to stick with the junk that I know and sorta understand. :lol:

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM

Wow..

Wow, Bret, I remember CJ butting heads with Les, and when you bought your flow bench. This is sick, I haven't met y'all, but WOW !!!!!

We were just talking about this at work the other day. I'm a newbie there, and I've been there 10 years. :shock:

OK, I'm rambling, I don't want to hijack too much.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 AM

I spent my early years on 351Cleveland.net reading for about 3 years.

Even those guy's enthusiasm for the C couldn't keep me from coming after seeing a 460/C6 that I ended up buying.

I think I ended up here in about 2002/N54 days.

2 things about the N54 days-no OT section, no one really posted pix.
I had no idea what anyone's cars or personalities were like.
It was all tech.

I hate the political/religion stuff on here but really enjoy getting a sense of who everyone is (irregardless of politics or religion) from pix and other's outside interests. I post more in OT these days because my engine is running and there are more smart guys on here than me that contribute.

Anyway I'm glad Chilly made a home for this stuff.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I like the features of this website/forum better, but I miss the old Network54 forum.

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:49 AM

I remember....

EVERYONE butting heads with Les....and his standard response to everybody who called him on something: "So, what do YOU drive? Let's see pictures." In other words, he couldn't argue back, so he'd just try to undermine their credibility. :roll: I remember him doing that to someone- Travis Rice or Brian Eyler's names come to mind, maybe...and someone else "setting him straight" & telling him perhaps he should keep his mouth shut unless he wanted to become very embarrassed. Dead silence, at least for a little while.

I remember Rob's '67 Mustang racing the airplane. I still watch that video once in a while.

I remember when Gary Blair used to post a LOT....sometimes it was tough to understand his cryptic answers, but he ALWAYS made me think.

I remember why he stopped posting, too.

I remember searching for certain threads for 20 minutes in N54 & coming up empty...posting the Q & getting the correct link from Danny Cabral in 20 seconds. Every time. Oh wait, Danny STILL does that.... :mrgreen: Awesomely organized, or merely glued to the PC? Dunno. He does nice exhaust system work, so he must leave the computer sometimes!

I remember Randy Malik commenting on a question about the "new" Kaase SCJ heads (yeah, it's been a while)...and reading his comment, I was totally jarred...it made me realize that a basic assumption I had made about their characteristics was "wrong"...not actually wrong, but, there was an opposite way to look at their airflow capabilities and potential applications. Absolutely a beautiful moment.

I remember Terry (now 1070hp) testing the limits of a OEM Ford crank. Repeatedly. Then finding out about Van's work with the F/C...wow.

I remember some classic Jeff Hann comments that resulted in having to clean Coke spew off the keyboard. Cletus is a bit quieter nowadays...spending $20K does that to ya.

Despite the growth of the board, which was inevitable...despite the recent rash of good vendor/bad vendor posts...despite some of the O/T controversies...despite some of the closed-mindedness & lack of basic common courtesy...it's still been a great five-year ride for me. Thanks, Chilly.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Well Said!

I remember filtering over here from the FE Forum back in the day 8) Musta' been 02 or 03? WOW has it been that long! :?:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Damon,

You were on here already when I started lurking in late 2002, I believe.

Some other things:

Mike Steinberg & his past racing memories...

LIVE! TONIGHT! FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY! Dave McLain VS. Charlie Evans! In the must-see battle of David vs. Goliath! (literally, in Dave's case, being named, uh, Dave. :mrgreen: ) Can the small but valiant flow bench of Dave's stand up to the mighty atmosphere-gulping SuperFlow 80000000 of Charlie's? With special guest: The 28" CONVERSION FACTOR! Which side will he take?! Which man can talk the fastest? (note by author: a small amount of literary license taken here. Maybe.)

Les' links.

Someone tearing apart their first 460, a D3VE: "OMG! These ports are HUGE! I've NEVER SEEN INTAKE PORTS THIS BIG!"

The laconic reply, from, I think, Gary Blair: "Wait until you see a CJ."

Someone else, replying as well: "Always been a Chevy guy, huh?" :mrgreen:

Lem's boat videos from a couple of years back.

Moonshine jokes, and certain individuals & their eating habits.

DoubleADigger, aka Charlie S, aka Chuck Stevens, and his remembrances of times, drag strips, and cars past.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 AM

What about the ole pot stirrer Stanley Superior :lol: :lol: Wonder what happend to him?

What about Woods Racing engine and that shady deal :?:

Where at they NOW! :roll:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM
RJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasea466
What about the ole pot stirrer Stanley Superior :lol: :lol: Wonder what happend to him?

Where at they NOW! :roll:
Who cares? He was a black plague of the forums. May he rot in the hottest corner of hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in