Building a new garage/shop, need lots of advice - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Building a new garage/shop, need lots of advice

Looking at 40' x 60'. Are there any engineers/designers/builders on here ?
I know I have a number of initial design decisions to make. I will say that
I'm not opposed to having internal posts to bear the roof loads, the entire
floor area doesn't need to be clear. I'm undecided as yet on a pole barn
style or conventional foundation with 2-by walls. Also undecided on wood
or metal frame and roof. Leaning towards a very simple reverse gable
roof without a lot of slope (upper storage), probably 5 doors along the
sixty-ft side. No plumbing.
Budget ? I don't know what to say. I'm inclined to go inexpensive as I can
and still have a safe structure. Doesn't need to be particularly pretty.
Eventually I will insulate it so I can heat it to a reasonable temp in cold
weather.
I live in the Seattle area, if anyone has leads for up this way.
Thanks, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)

This might help if you haven't seen it .

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Jbr-3
I'm a draftsman in N. Dak. & have did a job in Oregon a number of years ago. Other than some seismic issues most things don't differ that much from state to state. (foundations & snow loads) Go with a slab on grade foundation as local codes permits. As for a roof a 4/12 minimun pitch should clear span 40' with no problem. Don't put posts inside, you will always regret it. With that pitch you should run into no warrenty issues on asphalt shingles or a metal roof. On a metal roof the screw fasteners are you biggest worry. Too often the rubber washers tear, crush, or spin out & you can never find the leak. PM me if you choose to go with a metal roof & I can recomend some fasteners that are better suited for roofs, that should be available in your area. 40# asphalt felt below a metal roof because of condensation issues is better. A 2x6 framed wall will cost more initialy than a pole building structure, but will be superior for insulating & structuraly stronger. I tell all my clients building garages to build 10' High Minimum side walls or always wish that you did. Last is the doors on the 60' side. You didn't give a size, but the headers will carry 1/2 the roof weight of all rafters above it. Versa-Lam headers used here will keep your doors from getting a smile on top within a couple years. Talk to a contractor or knowlagable building supply yard & they can give you more product information. Hope this helps.
Ken

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 AM

Having over 30 yrs experiance in building and remodeling I've seen a thing or two !
While not having posts in a small garage has it's advantages,in a 40x60 footer 2 posts @ 20ft oc are not in the way and you span them with a steel beam that can come in handy for a chain hoist.Also,a steeper pitch roof will drain better and faster and allow you to use a truss designed for attic storage.Why waste all that space.
Last of all,don't forget to put radiant heat piping in the slab,in a building that big it's always easier to heat the floor(and far more comfortable) than to heat all those cubic feet of air space.When your feet are warm so are you.
If you do it right the first time and spend what it takes you won't regret it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm no professional, but I designed and built my own house/shop. It started as a 40X60 with 1/3 (20X40) used as a house or apartment. I added a 22X40 lean-to to one end. This allows me to park 4 different vehicles under a roof. One bay is a drive through and the other has only one roll-up door. It is not drawn to scale, but here is a rough drawing. I plan to add another covered parking area and an outside covered fish/game cleaning area. Next to that will be a walk-in cooler and smokehouse. I can work on 3 different projects at one time (if it's cleaned up)

stephen

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I also plan on adding a davit crane between the 2 bays. It will be a post in the middle and will support the roof, will be able to swing out over either bay and will not really be in the way when not in use. I will anchor it to the floor and bolt it to the i-beam at the top. I forgot to mention, but above the apartment part is storage. There is about a 5 foot height in the middle.

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 AM

I would think hard about the "no plumbing" part, you'll probably be spending alot of time out there. I ran water, natural gas, phone and cable tv to mine. It comes in real handy being able to clean up before headin' back into the house, washing cars, hosing off parts or just topping off a radiator, even if you don't put in a bathroom I would put water out there. Good luck with the build
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 AM

I am no expert but I built my own 24x32 shop. It is only 50 feet from my house but I still wish I had run plumbing to it. I did run phone and digital cable though I think I'd get more work done without both. lol
I do alot of woodworking also, if you plan to do any put all of your outlets higher than 4 ft so you can lean a sheet of plywood against the wall and not block them.
I ran all my electrical so I put an outlet about every 4ft around the whole shop and at every light in the ceiling. I hate trying to find somewhere to plug something in and don't have that problem in my shop.
Clint

1971 Ford F100, 460/c6
PS, PDB, Auto, 3.0 gear
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM

One suggestion Plugs and lots of them, I will be building a new shop in the future and expect plugs every 3' can never have to many....

Randy
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
One suggestion Plugs and lots of them, I will be building a new shop in the future and expect plugs every 3' can never have to many....

Randy
I agree, I even put them in the ceiling.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969

Randy
I agree, I even put them in the ceiling.

I agree I built a small shop in the back yard and I put plugs in the ceiling and switched them so when I need to I can plug florecent lights in them and easier to take care of...

Randy
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Also put in lots of air lines so you don't have to drag around air hoses.
+1 on in floor heat it is so nice to work on a heated floor.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You may want to check on insurance between a steel structure as opposed to a wooden structure. I'm not sure it makes much difference but.... it might.

Bret

Pullin For Christ
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Check with your local building suppliers to see if they have a "death row".
They are usually returns from new home construction. they may not have enough at one time but you can get bundles as they become available. I just added 26 feet to the back of my 32 ft garage and purchased all the studs, 2x8, 2x10 for $cheap.

Leave enough headroom for a hoist.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM

You could go the route I took. My shop is steel and wood. The kit came from Miracle Truss http://www.miracletruss.com/ which included all the steel, the 2x6 purlins and 2x4 side girts I got from my local lumber yard. The steel trusses are on 12ft centers and the purlins and girts are on 24" centers whick allows you to use standard batt insulation and drywall. For insulation in my shop I had a company come in a use the spray foam, best investment I ever made. I probably built about 90% of it by myself. Like others said, put plenty of electrical outlets. I put a 220v outlet above every 110v in the walls so I could move my welders and plasma cutter anywhere in the shop. Here's a few photos during the build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in