Buying "American products" - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Buying "American products"

I just recently read the "procomp heads" post and several had mention buying/supporting the USA product.

It just kind of made me think , where are people thoughts about supporting the USA product and how much of a priority do we make it on a everyday bassis.

I personaly have been a "union" employee most my life and within the last few years work for a non-union company. But the company I work for is a Pro American product and provide a quality product.

I have never owned a "import car" and I pretty much think I support thr USA product but outside of performance motor parts and the automobile industry I dont know how didicated I am. I think typically I have excepted anything "electronic" is already gone and I dont tend to look for the USA product and I just wonder what other products I do this with that I just let slide by .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Just a question

What happened to your union job?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I was a vendor at the Columbus all Ford, 2 full day swap meet and I made it a point to ONLY have all American parts to sell and they were all better deals than you could get them in the marketplace...

Guess what ... ?

I sold NOTHING - overall LOST money. :?
Seems people are all talk and NO action. QUALITY is of little substance and PRICE is king at these events - period.
I will NEVER believe another word from anyone about this topic and certainly won't ever rely on a table selling all American parts again -- EVER...!!! :!:

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What happened to your union job?
I'm an IBEW industrial electrician, I relocated from Milwaukee back to my orginal home town. Rather than transferring to the books I decided to take a "maint tech" job where I work now. It was a better choice for me after my Divorice/relocation and becoming a single dad. It was less money but it was a better family option.

My "union Job" is still there and was there for me 23 yrs from my apprenticeship to present day along with the other " 1 million" plus IBEW union electricions that are presently working for them :roll:
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM

it don't cost anything to talk, and is easy to jump on the bandwagon. on another thread, a pro comp head was bought and he was going to have it ported, cost most likely would be the same if not more that buying a better USA head. some cant think ahead to see the final cost. offshore stuff has its place, but i dont see thier thinking. this is a US copy (heads) and no good then buy other parts that are copy and its OK. example --Carillo rod to Eagle/Scat rods. so far nobody will say why its Ok
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Seems people are all talk and NO action. QUALITY is of little substance and PRICE is king
I have to agree with Randy .. although I try to be a little more consciense of what I am buying USA made but a lot of the little thing I think slip by.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Its the "Walmart Syndrome" Cheap, Cheap, Cheap.......... People are in generaly too stupid to completly look at the products and understand what they are getting for the $$$. To alot of people an aluminum head is an aluminum head, it must be faster than a factory head..... and the do not understand the ultimate cost, only the cost presented at the inception of the project.

We as American have been conditiond to want cheaper, faster, convieint things and tend not to look at quality as much as we should, after all walmart wouldn't sell you junk would they? People in alot of other countries look at the cheaper stuff as being junk and they see paying more as getting a better product.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy
I was a vendor at the Columbus all Ford, 2 full day swap meet and I made it a point to ONLY have all American parts to sell and they were all better deals than you could get them in the marketplace...

Guess what ... ?

Seems people are all talk and NO action. QUALITY is of little substance and PRICE is king at these events - period.
I will NEVER believe another word from anyone about this topic and certainly won't ever rely on a table selling all American parts again -- EVER...!!! :!:
Man, I saw that coming long before getting to the second paragraph. Fact is, people just don't care. I'm getting to the point that I'm about ready to stop fighting it. I was talking to my wife about it the other night and she couldn't believe the words coming out of my mouth.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383
People are in generaly too stupid to completly look at the products and understand what they are getting for the $$$.
Or is it that "some people" are too greedy to make the sacrifices needed to stay true to the possition they claim to support?

hyp·o·crite –noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I recently picked up some cold weather gear for hunting. It's almost impossible to find Made in the USA clothing on the rack anymore. Carhartt, all made in Mexico or Thailand. Rocky and Wolverine boots, made overseas. Browning waterfowl jacket, Bangladesh. It's somewhat hopeless, I guess if I had the cash to pony up for some Filson gear I could have bought US made stuff, but at $400 for a jacket, I don't think so.

I did pick up a US made Vaughn hatchet recently, and a Buck 110 folding knife, still US made. Could have purchased foreign made "equivalents" at 50% cost, but it's worth it to me.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Chilly - I think you are right there are some times where I don't think we really have a choice. I have been faced with the same issues, either I buy something cheaper/value regardless of where it is produced or you simply go without it at all.

"Buck Knife" ...neat story in 196-?? My sister and I bought my father a "Buck" hunting knife for X-mas. I scooped/shoveled driveways and my sister babysat and saved our money and bought the knife ourself at "coast-to-coast"

A few years ago I noticed it was in the garage and when I pulled it out of the case dad had accidently broken the blade. Mom said he was heart broken and didn't mention it to us because he had had it so long and a gift from us kids.

I took the knife/case home boxed it up and shipped it to "buck Knife" with a letter that contained the history of the knife and asked if I could buy a exact replacment being that it was 40 plus years old.

A month or so later I got a box from Buck in the mail and when I opened it It was my dads exact Knife with a new blade installed and a additional knife that was the 2000 version of the same knife all for free of charge.

There was also a personalized letter stating how they appriciated the family history and the story behind the knife and that we would be so satiisfied to want to "buy " another.

So that "Buck Knife" is worth every penny
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I learned..

I just learned that my company , Honeywell, is building a plant in China that makes the exact same thing that we make here in VA. :shock: They tried to pass it off like it was a good thing for us all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad I live in a trailer and don't have a mortgage. :mrgreen:

One thing I can't understand. When potentially bad news comes around, all the people I work with go out and get a bigger house, and a new car/SUV. Wassup wit dat?? :? When the $h!t hits the fan, I'll still have my raggedy trailer and junk old Ford cars. :P

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Humm.. If the Pro Comp heads were etched Ford Motorsports would that make 'em a good choice?

Where I'm going is the Ford Focus? Made in the USA? How about the brakes on some other Ford products.. Made in Cananda.. Pull a valvecover and see Hecko en Mexico.. Ya the outside sheetmetal sports a Blue Oval.. but..

Snap on tools.. where are they made?? Haa.. finished in the USA so they are USA made..

Laters!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy

Guess what ... ?

Man am I sorry to hear that. But I need to tell my little story too.

My machinist kept trying to get me to buy chinese rods (Probe Industries I think) I gave the big speech of how it was American or nothing for me and I paid 5 (yes FIVE!) times as much for Carrillos.

16 of 18 Carrillo's big ends had taper from one side to the other and all the small ends were too big by on average .004" Sent them back to Carrillo. They acknowledged everything, rebushed the small ends and said the big ends were within tolerances and if I needed them better I was on my own.

18 rods in all. If you know how much $ they are, you'd be almost as pissed as I was. NEVER will I buy Carrillo again. And I hate to say that as that is all I have used for the last 12 years.

BTW the chinese crap rods were nuts on :?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Maybe if there was some website that features a list of American made products (brand name, manufacturer, etc) it would be useful when doing your shopping.

I try to buy American products when I have the choice between that and cheap foreign stuff, even when the price is higher.

We need to save our country!! The people from the 1950's -60's would'nt recognize this as "America" anymore. Certainly not the America they grew up in!!

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in