Procomp bash - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pro Comp uses international borders to effectively steal and repackage intellectual property such as head designs and other items.

Buying their products is rewarding them for doing this sort of thing instead of designing their own product.

Sure, their stuff has a good price point, but I won't buy anything that has their name on the box so that their amoral business practices won't be rewarded with my hard earned money. The people who take the time to do R&D work on our engines and produce new products with cutting edge technology should be the ones we reward with our dollars.

I don't need a set of cheap Aluminum heads that badly.

YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Hemi-Hunter,

How much does Factory Direct sell the BBF heads for? Have you been satisfied with the set you bought. I'm looking real hard at a set on ebay. At only $699 a set it's kind of hard not to consider these if you are building a street motor.

Who sells them on the board and how much are they asking for bare heads?
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:10 PM

I payed $687.00 for mine. The casting is good. It may need a little cleaning up. Try to use brand name valves and springs.

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarshaman
Buying their products is rewarding them for doing this sort of thing instead of designing their own product.

YMMV
Is there anyway a company could take legal action for something like that?But then agian honda has stole big selling points and people still buy them.
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Re: Pro-Comp Heads-- straight stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI-HUNTER
Evidently, there were 3 different companies making the heads for pro-comp each having different molds and each having different chamber sizes.
I figured something like that was done in the other thread about these heads.Thats tough for people that are getting something that isnt what they paid for.
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Ford429cjlover,
i was very satisfied with the heads from factory direct. i paid just under 1,200 for a set of assembled heads. Since i run an agressive roller cam the springs were no good to me nor were the retainers. i installed K-motion K-1000H springs and bigger retainers and used the same valves and seals. the heads were already cut for the bigger springs. if your going to run a flat tappet or hyd cam the springs they use are pretty good. there about 140# @ seat. i would also recomend the comp cams 7/16 premium screw in studs. other than that they flow pretty well, or you can port them for ultra flow if you like.

cougershaman,
i say to each his own. what proc-comp did or does was not illegal. it's the same thing as trying to buy medicne like celabrex in the USA, the law does not allow any company to sell a generic for a considerable number of years because the company that did all the R&D has to make all the money back they put out on the medicne, so i go to Canada and get my medicne and yes its generic because Canada allows a generic to be made and distributed regardless of who did the R&D. i get my medicne for 1/3 of the price that is charged in the USA and my family eats steak insted of hot dogs more often. no laws broken. if you have some deep conviction for procomp you should look at all the other companies out there that do the same thing, i think you would be surprised. anyway, to each his own.....good luck

70' Maverick , 557 A-Head 8.90's...1969 #MATCHING MACH1 428 CJ RESTORED 1 of 1....1970 HEMI CHALLANGER
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarshaman
Pro Comp uses international borders to effectively steal and repackage intellectual property such as head designs and other items.

Sure, their stuff has a good price point, but I won't buy anything that has their name on the box so that their amoral business practices won't be rewarded with my hard earned money. The people who take the time to do R&D work on our engines and produce new products with cutting edge technology should be the ones we reward with our dollars.

I don't need a set of cheap Aluminum heads that badly.

YMMV
Something else we all need to understand about offshore products from China: Business in china has historically and repeatedly undercut all their competition until the competition is driven out of business, and then the price for that cheapo chinese-manufactured product is jacked sky-high once they gain full control the market, leaving us with little options in lieu of the expensive junk.

A recent example of this was made to me by a friend in the retail plumbing supply business. Basically, industry in china realized that they have most of the copper in the world and so they simply doubled the price of their copper. No looming copper shortage, mind you, no shift in supply and demand, either...they simply doubled pricing for no reason other than to stick it to the rest of the world.

Here's another one. Generally, it now costs about ten times to ship something from china than it costs to ship something to china. I don't think I have to tell everybody to whom those increased shipping costs are going to ultimately be passed.

So like Japan thirty years ago, eventually the lesser price for chinese-made product is going to go up big time. But in this case, it will have been the plan of chinese industry all along. And our options for alternative product will already be minimized...along with our jobs and associated ingenuity.

There's your ProCrap heads straight stuff. :!:

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well Said Paul, Better Dead than Red !!
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM

I thought that ProComp was an Australian Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy
NO ... NO ... NO ...ProComp is an AUSTRALIAN owned company in Liverpool NSW 2170 Australia.
Parent company is Sydney Speed Supplies.
www.sydneyspeedsupplies.8m.com
They have their own wharehouses in the States.

Not ALL their products are made in China but, most are.

Jerry Tomasello
70 Torino 429
Club Moderator - the Ford Torino Club
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFordTorinoClub/
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocco
I thought that ProComp was an Australian Company.
Company is techically based out of Australia, yes, but the heads are produced in china.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM

I try hard to stay out of discussions like this, but I have to add something:
It takes millions of dollars to R&D many of these products. And this money is recovered through the sale of this knowledge in their product. This is what finances the next great find.

When you have a company that is a leach and just steals the technology they don’t have to cover the R&D cost, therefore allowing them to sell at a much reduced priced. This is straight forward stealing. It is the very reason copyright laws were enacted. Just because it’s “legal” doesn’t make it right. The only way to fix this problem is to not buy from the companies that are operating this way.

I realize not everyone shares the same convictions about topics like this, but I try to think of like this. . . I wouldn’t want this done to me if it was my proprietary knowledge, so I will try my best to not to support people that do. Basically, these people are the guy selling stolen Rolex watches on the corner. Yes, you’re getting a great deal, but at someone else’s expense.

Just remember, the next time you’re complaining about Ford, Kaase, Edelbrock, or some other company not coming up the next great intake for your motor, maybe it’s because they don’t want some Chi-wain-dian company ripping them off.
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Hemi - Thank you for taking the time to add some useful information to this forum. I think regardless if someone decides to buy one of these heads either new or used they will now know what to look for and what to look out for.

As for the rest of you guys with the china and property rights, why don't you start a new thread over in the garage ?

Steve
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383
Well Said Paul, Better Dead than Red !!
Unless you're building a stroker with a crank and rods from China, eh Doug? :roll: I thought we'd been over this. You've gotta walk the walk if you want to talk the talk. :lol:

The truth is that anyone can build a 514+CID stoker with 100% American made parts, and they can have iron heads ported to surpass the performance of Pro-Comps, all for about the same money as they spend on parts from China.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:15 PM

thanks Rcat,

but what i would really like to know is what did pro-comp steal? If the heads are junk like many on this thread have said in the past that these pro-comp heads are nothing more than a DV3 in alum form, what the heck did they steal? pro-comp really can't win on this site, if the head is not junkl then the comapny is junk or vise-versa. i'll tell ya what i think then leave it alone. i think that the procomp head has taken a large part of the BBF market away from a bunch of guys that were selling other alum heads at over twice the price and more. i think that alone has made a lot of individauls mad and really gotten into their pocket book.

good luck to all

70' Maverick , 557 A-Head 8.90's...1969 #MATCHING MACH1 428 CJ RESTORED 1 of 1....1970 HEMI CHALLANGER
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI-HUNTER
thanks Rcat,

but what i would really like to know is what did pro-comp steal? If the heads are junk like many on this thread have said in the past that these pro-comp heads are nothing more than a DV3 in alum form, what the heck did they steal? pro-comp really can't win on this site, if the head is not junkl then the comapny is junk or vise-versa. i'll tell ya what i think then leave it alone. i think that the procomp head has taken a large part of the BBF market away from a bunch of guys that were selling other alum heads at over twice the price and more. i think that alone has made a lot of individuals mad and really gotten into their pocket book.

good luck to all
What they stole is "your money"
With them flooding the market, advertising deceitful flow numbers at a low cost................how many have fallen into the trap? How many know what they actually bought is "actually worth what they got?"
Seldomly in this world will you be able to attain something worth double for half the price.................and if so it sure isnt advertised for very long!!!

I dont see what the big deal is about these heads.............they are priced in line to what they are worth, the biggest benefit being a rough 70lb weight savings from the cast heads...........you can fully port them for probably 700.00 - 1000.00 dollars..................add this to what you paid for the heads and now they flow the same as an out of the box bluethunder etc, and cost about the same in the end..................but you are maxxed out with the pcomps??

Moral of the story is "you are getting what you payed for" and absolutley nothing more

Sad part is people have been deceived and conned into buying them thinking they are a drastic improvement to what they had...............and some cases are actually downgrading from what they had...............this is what is pissing everybody off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in