cold weld? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good call, I'd say that's it exactly. Cold welds.

P.S. Did ya' get those adapter plates?

Charlie Evans
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

yes , look good

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

i think this happens when people think the mig welder does all the work for ya and all you have to do is hold the trigger and move the handle along where you are welding.he probably had a muffler shop weld them on for him.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM

unless you have a 220v mig i don't think you should be welding those part at all with a mig welder.

i have a nice lincoln mig, but it doesn't have enough umph to weld parts like that. at least not without bevel grinding and such.

for this kind of welding i still much prefer a stick welder, maybe because this is what i grew up with.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
That person is lucky it didnt happen on the top end.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

x2 dfree383.
Kinda feel sorry for the guy even though it is a cheby?!! Hope he brought it in on a trailer.

GT300TD

'64 Galaxie 500 XL 499/C6, '06 Mustang GT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM

I have a 180 Hobart, I have used mig on many 4-link/ladder bad plates on rear axles. I make it a practive to wrap the corners w/weld and I stick weld several areas in the inner sides of the plate where the you can't reach w/mig to be sure. I have never had any problem with them braking.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

"You too can turn your boring crapmaro into a low rider in time for the holidays!" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If your not careful it's damn easy to produce a cold weld with a mig welder. The wire/arc needs to be at the leading edge of the molten puddle as you move forward filling the joint/seam. A cold weld/lap/shunt can happen when too much of the molten weld puddle gets ahead of the advancing wire/arc and you are basically trying to push the cooling weld puddle ahead of the wire/arc.

When this happens there isn't enough arc energy available to fully fuse the two parent metals together & also keep the weld puddle wet. This is because too much of the arc's energy is wasted continuously re heating the excessive puddle (ahead of the wire) as you try to push the puddle along.

In my opinion, most all Mig & Tig weld joints on thicker metals (such as a 4-link bracket to a .250" thick housing axle tube) really should have some amount of a bevel (or small air gap if a bevel can't be done) at the weld joint. Mig needs a larger bevel than Tig to help with the weld penetration. The best Mig wire to use is the solid E70S-6 wire (flux core is for farm equipment, not race cars). A CO2/argon mix gives you a cleaner weld with less spatter, but also gives you less heat penetration than straight CO2 does.

Putting tack welds where your going to start a weld pass can initially create a cold weld at the start of the weld. With a perfect fitted weld joint tack welds (if possible) should be placed where a weld pass will end. This way by the time you finally reach the tack weld, the parent metal & the puddle will be at full temp and the arc/wire will easily melt the tack into the approaching weld puddle.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Good advice Dave,
I was a Union Ironworker Instructor before I retired from the trade. When I taught them to weld it was Stick first, when you learn that then Mig. A lot of people start with Mig because there's less 'work' involved and skip the basics. The guy who badly botched that rearend was damn luck it happened out of the gate instead of at the other end, like dfree pointed out. Maybe it will act as a lessen to the guys who watch the video to practice a little before they jump into something that can cause dire consequences if it's not permormed correctly.
Good video.

GT300TD

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Where's my spell check when I need it. Don't get in a hurry, huh?!! It's a good thing I don't weld like I spell, haha.

GT300TD

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:16 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

This was an excellent video which shows what can happen in a race car. This guys car looks pretty fast too. He did a good job in the burnout and stuff just not such a hot job in the welding department.

Again it just goes to show you that anything can happen and also why street racing can be so dangerous. What if it happened on the top end at a race track, that's bad. What if it happened on the top end on the street, how far would the axle go before it was stopped by something?

He was lucky and his reaction was very funny, "SHIIIIIIT!", exactly!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in