Ford Made Announcement today - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ford Made Announcement today

The Ford BOSS 500 Nitro Drag Racing Engine

Racing enthusiasts know that the true heart of a race car is its engine – and Davis wants to make sure that the “heart” that powers NHRA Funny Car Mustangs of John Force Racing is pumping “blue” blood in the future.

Davis and John Medlen of John Force Racing challenged themselves to develop the new Ford BOSS 500, the first modern nitro engine for drag racing. The BOSS 500 was tested on-track for the first time on Oct. 18 and was unveiled for media today.

“We wanted to be in NHRA Funny Car with an engine that we really could call all our own,” David said. “I wanted people to see a Ford Mustang race car and know that it’s winning races with true Ford power.”

Davis and Medlen looked at the current nitro engine, discussed where they felt it had weaknesses, and decided to design and build a new engine to address them.

The BOSS 500 is the first nitro drag racing motor designed with analytical tools. It has a strengthened block for better durability and new cylinder heads developed by Ford and Force engineers. The basic design will favor areas such as the main caps register and the main webs in the block. Its engine block also is anodized blue after machining, helping ensure fans and competitors alike know when they’re seeing a Ford nitro engine under the hood.

Most of the external surface areas on the new 500-cubic-inch engine have been redesigned; a new belly pan was designed for better sealing; and the valve covers purposely call back the old Ford BOSS motors. The engine also features Ford main bearings with actual parts numbers in the Ford performance catalog.

“We had three things in mind when we set out on this project,” Davis said. “First, for marketing purposes, we wanted to say that we were putting reality behind the term ‘Powered by Ford.’

“Second, on the technical side, we have always helped out with aero, chassis development and now safety, but we always stopped short of the engine. This project has been a technical exercise for our engineers and the Force team to take the current motor, redesign it and make it a Ford.

“Finally, we want fans to associate this engine with Ford and Force, but we also know this provides a new revenue opportunity for us,” Davis added. “In Funny Car, the plan is for this to be a John Force Racing-exclusive engine at the start, but we do want to be able to sell it to Top Fuel teams for competition in the near future.”

Davis said that the current plan is for new Force Mustang driver Mike Neff to use the Ford BOSS 500 engine full-time in 2008 as it goes through its development phase. The other Force Mustang drivers – John Force, Ashley Force and Robert Hight – will use the engine after it has been further developed.

Ford and Force Racing also are investigating a team to be the first development operation in Top Fuel, with a measured, commercial rollout to more competitors after it has gone through a prove-out stage in that division.

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Judging by the angle of the magnetos it seems that this block was a redesign of the current, (Chrysler Hemi Style), block and bore spacing. Probably to adhere to NHRA rules; they screwed Force the last time he tried to do something like this with a Ford "bore spaced" block.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Isn't this kinda old info, or is there something new about it?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM

There isn’t very many "fuel teams" out there running "ford" that will benefit from the investment of the Ford Hemi. In reality "Force racing" is pretty much the only team in N/FC and I don’t know if any are in the T/F ranks.

I think it was pretty much like putting all their "eggs in one basket" That’s quit an investment to just be able to say that "ford" runs all Ford in the Funny Car ranks. You read their reasoning, and they all point to a John Force support and even state they "married" the two names.

As far as FC and TF teams the present day teams are geared up with un-countable millions of dollars in parts/research with their present set-ups not likely their going to switch gears because it says Ford and dive in on a product they have no R&D invested.

The present " FC Bodies" that Ford R&D'd are exclusive to " JFR" and none of the other competitors can purchase that particular product from ford. It's a fact it produces more downforce/stability and the other "wanna be" Ford teams are not allowed to have them. Another reason why many will not race Ford in the fuel ranks because they are not given equility in factory support. :roll:

For the everyday racers who support Ford product , it would be nice to see them be more supportive where they have the most racers that could benifiet from their investment. In the sportsman/amature classes or wherever that may be.

I always thought Bob Glidden had a "bad attitude" when it came to factory sponsored by Ford but they seem to be doing for John Force what they would never did for Bob. He probably single handed gave them more "bragging right and product design" than any other racer in ford history. Force might have given them "championship numbers" but he didn’t add anything to there performance value they could pass down to the average racer like Glidden did.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Go read this on old Bob Glidden. It's in the archives on theoldone.com This guy is smart!

85 Howard flatbottom dragboat
one more repo and i'm debt free!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I saw it at the PRI. Looks like a "Chrysler" Hemi motor with some cosmetic changes, right down to the external oil pump on the left side :roll: :roll:

One of the Ford guys saw me , and asked me what I thought.. Wrong move on his part. I asked him " How many for the general public ?? and when can I buy one ?? He looked at me dumbfounded, with no answer to the question. THEN, I asked him, " Why did you guys do this, when the are hundereds of thousands of Big Block Bracket racers, Mud Boggers and Pullers that could use Ford's support." Again, no answer

Makes ya wonder why we are so dedicated sometimes.

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM

NHRA I am sure made them conform to rules/restriction when producing a block/head componet, the same as those who presently provide and have for years.

Truth be known, "JFR" probably backed a great deal of this effort, it is probably why they "married" the "Ford & Force" idea and they publicaly stated they want the two to go "hand in Hand" :roll:

I am not an "anti" John Force but it " bite my ***" a little bit that Ford backs him exclusivley and there are other racers in the "fuel classes" that would run the Ford logo, body and engine if there were given equilty when it comes to the use of their knowledge/sponsorship :cry:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I am not Anti- Force either, Just not sure why ford is putting "their eggs in 1 basket."

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM

A few thoughts come to mind.

Some people at Ford...

Cant see the forest thru the trees.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in a large group.

69 Mustang ProStreet 580 E85
9.0 @ 148

70 Torino 521
[email protected]
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Yep...

https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=19476

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
Isn't this kinda old info, or is there something new about it?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:48 PM

I'm just wondering...how much did FORD have to pay, to get "approval"?
Section #1, Top Fuel (and floppers), "Any component development after June 11, 2003 must be NHRA - accepted. The moratorium includes, but is not lomited to, engine blocks, cylinder heads, intake manifolds, and superchargers. This includes any redesign, reconfiguration, and/or significant modifications to existing components. Refer any development, redesign, reconfiguration, and/or modification questions to the NHRA Technical Department whether permitted or prohibited." (NHRA rule book, P. 265, 2008) I suspect it's like when Joe Schubeck got approval for his 4 cam engine. I asked him how he did it, His silent reply was to mime pulling out a checkbook and writing a big one.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 PM

[quote] pulling out a checkbook and writing a big one. [quote]

:lol: :lol:
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM

You have to start some where, so let's start at the top and let the technology trickle down. Why give teams that don't have the cash and technology an engine and it fails and pretty soon Ford sucks again. Let Force and Ford get every thing smoothed and then send out the motors with the hand book. Just a thought ( which are far and few in between).
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Let Force and Ford get every thing smoothed and then send out the motors with the hand book
Yeah..OK, John Force Racing don't share with nooo- buddy, thats my whole point in this thread. Whatever R&D Ford does you can beleive it is exclusive to JFR racing. Whatever "fast tricks" they have it isn't produced in that motor... the tricks come after the motor's in the JFR shop

I would like to see the "number" of how many "Boss 500" motors they sell that is not a part of JFR establishment :roll: .
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Meanwhile back at the ranch.... I suppose the "Ford" sponsored Blue Thunder monster truck is still Chevrolet base powered :roll: . While that could be Ford powered for pennies on the dollar for what Ford spent towards such as this and probably run better.

I could have not made a better statement than Chuck made! "Makes ya wonder why we are so dedicated sometimes."

Excellent questions for the Ford reps, by the way did you also ask them about the "big" BBF crate annoucement?

Pullin For Christ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in