Lemon-ator pulling tractor - Blake IDT-572 - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lemon-ator pulling tractor - Blake IDT-572

Video of a tractor that Blake has been working on.

Quote from Blake:

Damon,

Here is a video of the 505 cid 8.3 liter Cummins diesel, that is on alcohol with a MSD 10 ignition, 80 lb's boost, twin staged turbos. The boy that owns it bought it with the engine in trouble and the guy he bought it from could never make it light and run down the track . He washed the rings and brg's out of it , oiling system wasn't up to par, to fat ect. I had him line bore the block add external oil pump external oil manifold plumbed straight to the mains, external oil lines to the head for shaft rockers . Adjustable oil pressure regulator. added oil clearance to the mains and rods , added more side clearance. Changed the cam from a stock core regrind to a 8620 billet bull nosed flat tappet with carbon face 1.25 " flat tappets 260-256 @ .050 .860 lift on a 115 sep spring have 340 lb seat pressure. Not your normal flat tappet huh.

I think this was the third run we made this summer, It ran strong but busted the MSD cap and shut down. We have a data logger on it, man what a nice tuning tool. I have been leaning it up every run, and the power keeps coming up , the egt's are at 1100 degrees now, I will probable lean it until I get to around 1200-1250 . So I still have a good bit of power to gain. I have to run the plugs at .010-.015 to be able to fire the plugs with a MSD 10 any wider and it blows the spark out, plugs only last 6 runs and the spark erodes the tip and strap on the spark plug, things like a welder when it fires the plug.........

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

What type of tractor is that? Looks like maybe an older White by the sheetmetal. Sounds real good when he finally got on the loud handle!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ok, what am I missing

Alright, I must be missing something. Since when do diesels need plugs and MSD boxes???

Alan

Alan
Page Performance
1995 F150 514 powered

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Re: Ok, what am I missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganwildman
Alright, I must be missing something. Since when do diesels need plugs and MSD boxes???

Alan
Ya. I was thinking the same thing
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Re: Ok, what am I missing

Quote:

Alan
I was wondering the same thing but was kind of afraid to ask. The way diesels are these days you never know.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Alcohol. It needs to be ignited.

89 F150 mud drag truck
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Alrightty

someone needs to edgicate me. So basically, they're using a diesel block, and replaced the injectors with spark plugs. So how does it generate the torque diesels are famous for?

Alan

Alan
Page Performance
1995 F150 514 powered
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM

Re: Alrightty

Quote:
So how does it generate the torque diesels are famous for?Alan
Might have something to do with 80psi of manifold pressure, so its
probably making more torque than the diesel version...

SteveL

“This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself…”
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

More BTU's per gallon in alcohol than diesel. There are seperate classes for the big alky burners now, and then factoring in the lower classes for them to compete on a level playing feild with the diesel boys. Propane tractors are starting to be played with also. They inject the alky too I believe, just not through the old pump. Never seen one up close and dug into it, just talked to some of the old saddle bums that are playing the alky game in tractor pulling. Hey Damon that sure seems like a lot of work in that motor, how is it competing. All the guys I've talked to said the 8.3 had problems with getting the head to flow enough to be competitive, is it a custom billet piece?

89 F150 mud drag truck
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ain't that a Moline?

Bret

Pullin For Christ
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 12:11 AM

Looks like the original (first years) of White sheetmetal, painted in yellow (not M-M color); originally would have been an Oliver drivetrain with the M-M 505 engine.

Ah, tractor pulling...the best way I know of to get rid of excess cash.
:lol:

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Ah, tractor pulling...the best way I know of to get rid of excess cash.
:lol:[/quote]

Definition of a boat; Great big hole in water you keep throwing money into. :lol: :lol:

89 F150 mud drag truck
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I have no clue what's in the tractor. A while back, maybe around the time of the BBF Bash, Blake was telling me about this Cummins Alcohol powered tractor that he was helping someone with. It involved a LOT of custom made parts like injector manifold etc......... Sounds really TRICK!

Blake will have to give you guys the details

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Schmitty, wins the prize........... Its a White American, that year they made them in the Moline, Oliver, Cockshut,and White colors . Green,yellow,red and silver. Built a 60 and 80 series in 1989-1990.

In the run you saw on the video the third stage injector was late coming in. We have loosened it since and it lights at around 3500 rpm now right before the clutch locks up .

Some one asked about the head, it has a real heavy swirl bowl, half the bowl is full with a ramp spiralling around the guide all the way up to the seat. This works good for low rpm torque on a 2100 rpm diesel, but sucks on a 6500 rpm deal.

We set this head up in an end mill and completly cut all the swirl out of it and opened the bowl up moved the guides to allow a bigger diameter valve and did major , major, mojor porting .

The exhaust port comes stock looking like the exhaust port on a TFS A head , it flows almost as good as the intake with minmal porting.

The fuel system is alky injected with three injectors per intake runner. As belt driven pumps increase in rpm , the pressure increases and the three injectors are set at a predetermined psi settings when the rpm gets high enough, they start to open one behind the other until the engine is wide open. If you listen close to the video you can hear the final injector come in and the tires start to spinning real hard as the rpms instantly go up.

Home spun,

These tractors came with 5.9 liter engine and all the colors.

Some one needs to set up a BBF like this deal , you never see staged turbos on a drag car engine They are twin turbos but not staged.... :?

Blake

Blake

580 inch Ported P-51's
1003 hp @7200 810 tq @ 6100
86 Notch
29.5x13.5 Ladder Bar
1.200 60ft 5.41 @ 127.78 mph 8.51 @ 156 mph
200 shot 5.23 135 mph 1.13 60 ft. on the rear tire.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Yep, the ones I was thinking of were from 1974-1977 depending on model. Those White Americans are newer, as you said, different drivetrains altogether, & the paint shade is not quite the same as a M-M.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in