More dumb NHRA rules - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

More dumb NHRA rules

The bean counters and lawyers for the NHRA are at it again in the off season.

The new Super Stupid rules so far.

The first and one that effects many of you guys is the new generator rule. All generators, air compressors, etc., that are powered by an internal combustion engine must have the exhaust directed up and above the top of the trailer, truck, RV, tent/awning, etc.

So, if you have a generator on the tongue of your trailer or in a slideout you will now have to add an exhaust pipe extension up higher than the trailer. The reason is they are worried about the liability for some guy parking next to you in his motorhome getting sick/killed from carbon monoxide from your exhaust. Wouldn't it be easier to just require any motorhome or camper to be equipped with CO detector? My Honda powered generator has a square muffler that would be a pain to attach a pipe to.

The 2nd new rule:
All open-bodied methanol burning or nitrous oxide equipped cars 7.49 seconds and quicker use a SFI 3.2A/15 suit with 3.2A/15 gloves and boots. So, if you have an advanced ET dragster/roadster on alky OR using nitrous you will look like the Michelin man in a $1500 -15 suit. The -15 suits are also dated and have to be replaced on a regular basis.

This rule won't affect many of you. I run alky and had been thinking about building a new engine for my new dragster and trying some Divisional Top Dragster. Guess I won't now. I'll still build somethign new, but just keep it 7.50 1/4 or 4.50 1/8 or slower. I also noticed a post from Phillip Oakley a few days ago where he mentioned using nitrous to get his gas powered dragster down in the 4.20's. The nitrous would require the -15 suit. I know alky burns with clear flames, but racing gas will burn you just as bad. If they are going to require it for alky, it should be for gas also. I think the liability people are overboard on this one.

And lastly. This one will affect many of you.
Anything 9.99 and quicker will be required to have a full face helmet. I know many of you door car guys run the open face with a visor style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 09:46 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
So I have to put a 8-10' pipe on my portable generator ?!?!?! WTF !?!?!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

From what I hear, the generator thing is twofold.

1. Noise - People with noisy older gensets, tend to park them on the other side of their trailer, so their side is quiet, but it disturbs the folks next to them.

2. CO - CO detectors in trailers were constantly going off.

I really don't think it most tracks will enforce it too tightly unless they are given a reason to. Around here, the wind blows 99% of the time, so adequate ventilation is always there, whether you want it or not. LOL

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Well, I hate generators because they are so noisy. Lem and I sat beside Phillip's trailer at BG lisening to the sweet sound of an old B&S generator with the exhaust blowing in our face. It belonged to the guy beside us and he had it behind his camper so he wouldn't hear it, but Lem and I heard it and had to breathe it. I think they should outlaw generators all together except the super-quiet motorhome-style deals that are inside a compartment and install outlets at all the pit spots! :shock: That would be great! Then we could just plug up and things would be much more peaceful. Then we could hear the noise we want to hear! 8) Too bad it will never happen. I guess I will have to use my old B&S POS and a 10' pipe sticking up.

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

Soon they will have a rule you can only race an expensive car........

I have a Honda generator, its on a slide out deal. I have reworked the exhaust so it wont burn the door. The exhaust is not the loudest part, the motor noise is worse. I do pit out where we are usually by ourselves as to not bother people, but there is always the asshole that wants to crowd in next to me on the generator side and then bitch about the noise and fumes. "We can fight about about" is what I tell then, they always seem to find it better to go find antoher spot lol.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProF100
Well, I hate generators because they are so noisy. Lem and I sat beside Phillip's trailer at BG lisening to the sweet sound of an old B&S generator with the exhaust blowing in our face. It belonged to the guy beside us and he had it behind his camper so he wouldn't hear it, but Lem and I heard it and had to breathe it. I think they should outlaw generators all together except the super-quiet motorhome-style deals that are inside a compartment and install outlets at all the pit spots! :shock: That would be great! Then we could just plug up and things would be much more peaceful. Then we could hear the noise we want to hear! 8) Too bad it will never happen. I guess I will have to use my old B&S POS and a 10' pipe sticking up.
While the NHRA is FLEXING How about they just Mandate that Track owners provide power and paved parking places for all racers..........Oh yea how about "Green Power" while their at it, seems to be a trend lately.....

And another one, how about Emissions hoods to collect the tire smoke?!?!?!?

Why can't racing just be fun?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM

The generator rule is nothing new, actually it has been around in other racing venues for quite a few years ( about 6yrs) and is just now trickling down to NHRA . Just happens the NHRA were big enough to hold it off this long.

-15 suit .. It is safety, you will never appriciate that factor untill the "one time" your in the situation that you really need it, then you will be damn glad it was in place. One of them "silent" safety factors it's in place because "it happened to someone" that wished it would of been there for them.

Full face helmit .. personaly these days and age a "open faced" helmet ?? C-mmon ..your racing not pleasure riding a Harley. :roll: A full face helmit should be the min standard for any motorsport racing.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastertech70
The generator rule is nothing new, actually it has been around in other racing venues for quite a few years ( about 6yrs) and is just now trickling down to NHRA . Just happens the NHRA were big enough to hold it off this long.

-15 suit .. It is safety, you will never appriciate that factor untill the "one time" your in the situation that you really need it, then you will be damn glad it was in place. One of them "silent" safety factors it's in place because "it happened to someone" that wished it would of been there for them.

Full face helmit .. personaly these days and age a "open faced" helmet ?? C-mmon ..your racing not pleasure riding a Harley. :roll: A full face helmit should be the min standard for any motorsport racing.
I have to agree.................my last race weekend i seen 6 cars get totalled from 60 ft out to guys in the top end hitting the wall at 200mph...........it made me start to think about safety issues, as it takes only one moment in racing to change your life forever.......and i dont plan on being that somebody.
I have made up my mind that this season i will upgrade/add all the safety components that i can see will help me achieve this, totalling 2-3000 dollars, and if there is money left, i will upgrade the engine after.

STOCK SUSPENSION N/A
515 CI in the works!!!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

My issue with the -15 suit is that it WAS NOT well thought out.

They are saying if I run 7.49 with methanol I have to have a -15 suit in my dragster.

Another dragster running gas on motor can run 6.00 with just a -5 suit.

Is my car more dangerous than the 6.00 car. No, less dangerous due to the huge speed difference.

In both those cases the engine is behind us.

A guy in a Top Sportsman car can run 6.00 with a -5 suit while he has a big motor and 3-4 stages of nitrous. All of it just inches in front of him with nothing but a aluminum sheetmetal firewall in between that will be gone/torn the instant he hits a wall.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM

David - You may be right, doesn't sound as if the rule was planned out very well. :cry: But the main issue is that "you are safer" and in the end your going to be the winner if anything "unfortunate" comes your way.

For a good number of years, I have crewed on an NHRA T/F nastalgic " Nitemare" nitro front engine car. We have experienced several pretty good "burndowns" throughout the years. Make for great "pictures" but it's always a "hell ride" to the top of the track to see if the pilots alright. So far the "safety equip & rules" have kept him safe, thank god. :lol:
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 PM

I don't understand why anyone would want to run an open faced helmet. I watched a guy spud the wall with his Pinto a few years back, and when we got to him he was just regaining conciousness, and spitting out his broken teeth, and pouring blood from his broken nose where it hit the steering wheel.
As far as the genset rule, I think it might be up to the individual track, as our track isn't enforcing the rule. Yet. It IS annoying having those old gensets blasting away, and it seems the older and noisier they are, the longer their owner runs them. How's a guy supposed to drink beer and BS when you can't hear? :lol:

668. The neighbour of the beast.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:35 PM

The whole " gen set" exhaust thing I think came from an incident at one of the southern race tracks 5/6 years ago, if I remember right. I was a tech official for WKA/SCCA at the time and was at the "Charolett" track and we got the breif.

A lady/family had an newborn/infant child sleeping in a baby carrier in one of the trailer ( in the shade) the exhaust from a neighboring gen set
they beleived was the cause of the baby's death. I think this incident elevated some of the decesion to enforce a change.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I go to a lot of out of town races and in the class that I run we are frequently pitted out in the boonies so I have been next to my share of noisy generators. I could understand that they need to make some rules about them but some of this doesnt make much sense. I have an old Onan that has a full size car muffler on it that mounts to the bottom and I know several people that have spent money on a generator that doesnt make much noise but we still have to put a 10ft tall stack on. There are also new $300,000 motorhomes that are going to have to put a pipe on the side of their rig to route the exhaust up in the air. Wait till one of these slapped together pipes falls onto the car/truck/trailer pitted next to it.

Kevin Meine
1969 Mustang Mach 1
[email protected]
NMRA O/C 9139
10th in points for 2005
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM

THE EXHAUST PIPE RULE IS FOR DIVISONAL AND NATIONAL EVENTS
I THANK IT IS A GOOD RULE HAVE YOU EVER BEEN PITTED NEXT
TO A LOUD AND STINKING GENERATOR?
THEY ALSO OUTLAWED REAR VIEW MIRRORS UNLESS THAY ARE FACTORY EQUIPED.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Door cars w/ N20 must have a steel fire wall to have a-5 suit, Alum firewall -15 suit

Craig Sullivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in