PVC pipe-not for compressed gas service - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

PVC pipe-not for compressed gas service

I added this to the bottom of Carl's thread on air compressors, but felt it was important enough for it's own thread, so everyone has a better chance of seeing it.

Just wanted to make sure all of you understand that PVC pipe is not rated for any pressurized gas service. It is made of brittle plastic that when stressed may burst. When PVC does burst it fragments like a grenade, sending shrapnel flying that can do serious bodily injury or even kill. This is not something that you would want to happen to you, your family, or friends.
OSHA has regulations against using it for any pressurized gas service, and it is illegal to do so. I'm not trying to preach, but merely inform, for your safety. I have seen the aftermath of a PVC explosion and it's not pretty. It is literally a bomb going off with razor sharp shrapnel.
It's a little more expensive to do your air system with heavy wall copper or iron pipe (mine's 3/4" galvanized). But it sure is nice to know that it's not going to blow up and hurt someone.
I know somebody is going to say, "well, I know a shop that has had PVC pipe in their air system for years and never had a problem". I know of some too, but it's foolish, irresponsible, and they are living on borrowed time. It's not "if" it blows, but "when", and you don't want to be responsible for hurting a loved one.

Off my soapbox now, I hope this hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Joe

But it's a dry heat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Thanks..

Thanks Joe. Good info.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PEX

Have you guys seen the new household plumbing on the market that is nothing more than a "super duper" flexible plastic tubing, barbed fittings, and ferrules?

Super trick; gone are the days of having to drill straight holes through studs, and sweat elbows to turn corners. This stuff routes like rope! I know the unions were fighting it on CA because they believed it would create even more DIY and diminish business for them.

It's called PEX.

Why not use PEX to do your shop air? It appears to be capable. The chunk I'm holding says 180psi.

Pictures...
http://images.google.com/images?clie...h+Images&gbv=2

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

howabout air line from your local truck shop, me and friends used to buy it from the local 18 wheeler shop for lines on a few air ride trucks we've built. if i remember correctly its rated for more than 180.

-Dave

1983 F-250 4x4- 472, NP435, NP205, D60/10.25", 37" bead locks
1983 Mercury Capri- 466, C6, questionably street legal
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hey, All:
Does anybody remember "Shade Tree Mechanics", or "Two Guys Garage" on television?? They did an episode where they did a complete plumbing job for a shop compressor, using PVC pipe! My first thought was "what the f*&^"? The very next week, they ran a disclaimer, and fell all over them selves trying to explain that they were the victims of "bad information"! What ever happened to common sense?

Wayne
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Dave,
Rubber hose rated for pressure from any source is acceptable to use, as is the ABS plastic that the air suspension people use. Although they may fail during use, they do not explode like a grenade like PVC does, so they are much safer.
They make plastic pipe and fittings just for use in air systems. It is made from ABS, and it will split rather than explode. Just be prepared for the cost, it's probably much cheaper to do your system in either copper (type K) or schedule 40 iron pipe (black or galvanized).

Do it right, be safe, it's hard to drive your car with no eyes or no hands.

Joe

But it's a dry heat!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Re: PEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE
Have you guys seen the new household plumbing on the market that is nothing more than a "super duper" flexible plastic tubing, barbed fittings, and ferrules?

Super trick; gone are the days of having to drill straight holes through studs, and sweat elbows to turn corners. This stuff routes like rope! I know the unions were fighting it on CA because they believed it would create even more DIY and diminish business for them.

It's called PEX.

Why not use PEX to do your shop air? It appears to be capable. The chunk I'm holding says 180psi.

Pictures...
http://images.google.com/images?clie...h+Images&gbv=2
PEX is good material but I have never seen the manufacturer suggest it for use for compressed air systems. But I only look at the Industrial market, it might can be used in the residential. Just be aware of the tools you will need to build the system and you still need to clamp the piping down.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i work at a pvc plant and will second that when it blows it blows to bits. even the heavy wall water main pipe (.537" thick and up) will shatter if enough pressure is put to it.

just another dual quad 545 :-)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:44 PM

I handle a Aluminium tube product for air line. We have used it to plumb argon gas, o2, and compressed air. It is very nice product you cut with a tube cutter, deburr slide on conecter and done. Prevost, Transair,and Smart pipe.

Craig Sullivan
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ34
I handle a Aluminium tube product for air line. We have used it to plumb argon gas, o2, and compressed air. It is very nice product you cut with a tube cutter, deburr slide on conecter and done. Prevst, Transair,and Smart pipe.
Do you have a website or something?

Don't you also sell parts washers and other shop equipment?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Yes I do www.sullivanequipment.com The airline product is probably not on there as we are changing some major equipment lines around. Just google Kaeser air compressers and go to Smart pipe, Transair, or Prevost we handle all 3

Craig Sullivan
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Foolish or not my shop has had PVC for the air supply line (from 90 -125 psi) for years with no problems so far. Temp range in the shop from 104*+ in the summer, and 37*-40* was about the coldest in the winter.

Maybe it's not an issue, or maybe I have just been lucky, don't really know. But since I'm lazy I guess I'll only worry about it only if the line ever breaks. :roll: :lol:

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.
Foolish or not my shop has had PVC for the air supply line (from 90 -125 psi) for years with no problems so far. Temp range in the shop from 104*+ in the summer, and 37*-40* was about the coldest in the winter.

Maybe it's not an issue, or maybe I have just been lucky, don't really know. But since I'm lazy I guess I'll only worry about it only if the line ever breaks. :roll: :lol:
Maybe it is because you have "Texas" size PVC pipe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsbyjay
Maybe it is because you have "Texas" size PVC pipe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, all Texas Home Depots do in fact carry the special "Texas" size PVC pipe down here, you can find it right next to the Home Depot brand Throttle Stops (pat pend)

These special Throttle Stops are a proprietary Home Depot design that's organic based, earth friendly, and they don't give of an RF field that can be harmful to natures creatures that sometimes live around drag strips............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
Which part of Texas are you in D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in