A good trade??? Opinions? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A good trade??? Opinions?

I am talking to a guy I have done business with in the past regarding trading the Green 93 Mustang I have at the house (body only) for a 460 with a C6.

Now bear in mind that this will put me a step closer to actually being able to build my big block project car/truck in the not too distant future. I know that the smart thing to do, although slightly costly, is to go ahead and strip it down to the tiniest parts and start with a fresh rebuild. That is my PLAN. Money will be the biggest factor in making that plan a reality over time.

As I have stated before, I dont want to go absolutely hog wild on this thing and have 5-10K in just the engine. Although with BBF parts being as high as they are, that probably wont be too hard to do!!

So, what ya think?
Did I make a pretty good trade or what?

My information is that the engine and trans are both good but will need minor work to get everything as they should be. I will definitely be yanking the trans pan to get all the old fluid and filter crap out and starting fresh.

Trying to get something started...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

is the motor stock? What year? Does it run?

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Completely stock, both motor and trans.

I believer he said from an early 70's car like an LTD or something like that. Not 100% sure but I will gather more information as the days go by.

He said the vehicle ran when he parked it where it is sitting now. He also was pretty sure that if I got a good battery and some gas in a jug with a stretch of fuel line, he could get it to start. But I am not going to mess with all that for the time being.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 AM

if you get rid of the car what will the engine go in?!?

good deals on 460s come up in the auction block all the time...
that being said, as long as the car has crappy wheels its OK to trade 8)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I still have an urge to build a Lincoln town car that will pull the wheels....

And if I get this setup from this guy, he said he also has a 93 and 97 model town car but I dont know what shape the body is in.

Later

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Good luck getting a town car to pull the wheels. Well, how do you plan to put the engine in the back? Maybe a BBC with a front wheel drive Toronado TH400 transaxle would do the trick.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Actually, the 90 model I had when I had 3.55's and 240 horse of nitrous on the 5.0 would max the suspension with a good hard thud on launch.

I am thinking a 460 with 100-150 shot would get them in the air just a little bit... That, plus about 4-500 pounds in the trunk/rear bumper to help with the weight transfer thing??

:twisted:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

when i started my big block saga i purchased a running 73 mark. drove it all summer and it ran and shifted good. payed 850 for it. turned out to be nothing. not even the head bolts were good. i got a long shaft tranny, a crappy set of heads, even the timming cover was corroded. in my experiance i would just pay core charges from a builder on this board and buy everything you need. bobn
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Problem with that is that my budget is limited to say the least. I have Navigator taste with Courier budget....

I am basically just looking for something different and has a chance to be competitive. The green mustang is actually too bent up for me to start with as a race car chassis. It has rust in some places and I really dont want to trust my life to it.

I will eventually find something lightweight to start with and then hopefully have the motor and trans freshly rebuilt to go into it.

Time is not a major concern but money definitely is. I know that a little here and there will eventually make a lot, but usually my little gets used on other things like paying mine and my fiancee's bills up.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

hm i can relate. my zephie is in its fifth year as a project. bobn
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my maverick is only in its second year, but im also just doing a small block for it. spent big block money on it though :roll:

just another dual quad 545 :-)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

well, if I started a small block project, I would not even touch a block that wasn't the new boss302. Just too dang many good reviews on it since its conception. providing I had the money..... :roll:

I know that the stock 5.0's can handle 600 ponies before watermeloning, but I would not go that far on a small block. The town car had 400~ when I hit the spray and it pushed 3980 lbs to 8.93~ in the 1/8th and that engine had 160,000 miles on it and never smoked.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 AM

I was never much of a mustang person, except when they got to be real big back late 60's early 70's (pre emissions). Even then I was not a mustang fanatic.

Personally it is all about the big picture of the car. No one sees the powertrain going down the road they see the car. In my case I lucked out, the car I wanted came with a choice of two big block options a 429 or 460. The woman that bought my car brand new had the car equipped with the 460 option. It really didn't break my heart....lol.

If I was to build the entire thing from the ground up. I would choose the car first, then do the powertrain. I believe the whole idea is to have a great looking ride you can have fun with.

It sounds like you want something to have fun with. If you have 5-10K to spend, find a car you want, restore it to your personal degree of satisfaction. THEN build the powertrain you want and install it.

The problem I would have with getting a BB from somebody would be is what kind of condition the engine parts are in. Like was said you could get a bucket of **** once you get into it.

Not sure what your technical ability is, but I rebuild OTR truck engines. So taking a 460 and rebuilding it would not be a problem for me. I have everything needed at my disposal. Like the space to do it and all the equipment to do a complete rebuild and machining down to having a dyno at my disposal. I also understand that it will not be a real "fast" ordeal nor would it be "cheap".

If I didn't have all of that I like the idea of just buying one from one of the re-builders on here. For the simple fact they do it everyday and the have all the stuff to do it with. It may cost more, but the when it comes to getting the biggest bang for the buck, I think that would be the biggest bang for the buck. Unless you want to live and learn. Which can be just as much fun.

That is just my opinion.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=10547

It's a nice clean car. Would make a great drag car.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed
Problem with that is that my budget is limited to say the least. I have Navigator taste with Courier budget....

I am basically just looking for something different and has a chance to be competitive. The green mustang is actually too bent up for me to start with as a race car chassis. It has rust in some places and I really dont want to trust my life to it.

I will eventually find something lightweight to start with and then hopefully have the motor and trans freshly rebuilt to go into it.

Time is not a major concern but money definitely is. I know that a little here and there will eventually make a lot, but usually my little gets used on other things like paying mine and my fiancee's bills up.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Last post was in april of this year though. I could muster up $1000 in a few weeks if it werent for the wedding, honeymoon, 5 yr old getting tonsils out, missing work for a week, and getting a place of our own.

I dunno though..... I may just wait until March to start up the hunt again.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in