Project: 514 1966 Fairlane Progress - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Project: 514 1966 Fairlane Progress

For the past month or so Wes Littrell and I have been working on a 1966 Fairlane project for a friend. This car project was started about 20 years ago and it's now making some real progress.

The car has a narrowed rear end, cage, custom interior, 514 inch engine with Blue Thunder heads and dual quad intake, 2 AFB's, C6 etc. It's going to be a really fun ride.

This is one of those projects that just became bogged down and wasn't getting completed. So we had the owner bring it out along with every piece he had so we could get it together and running. Big problems were, fuel system, cooling system and headers.

Headers were worked out fairly easily with some dimpling work and the addition of about 1 inch of tubing on one tube on the left side. The Blue Thunder head raises the exhaust port about 5/8 of an inch and that makes the already fairly tight header situation a bit worse but not impossible.

Fuel system: The car had a modified stock fuel tank that had been sitting open for at least 15 years. It was rusty and just wasn't going to work. We put in an aluminum cell from RCI which worked great it still needs the Ford type sending unit to make the gauge work.

Cooling system: This is a real problem on one of these cars. From what we can tell the engine sits in the "stock" location for the most part and this puts it fairly far forward. By switching to a 1968-69 429 style water pump we were able to get about 1 inch of clearance between the snout and the radiator core. The radiator was custom built by Portel Radiator in DeSoto MO and it's a VERY nice unit with trans cooler, heavy duty core and built in fans. We did have to move the fans to the front which is probably less than ideal but if the engine is fitted with a single groove pulley set in the future there is just enough room for an engine driven fan to fit, cool. The whole system holds 6 gallons of coolant.

Now it's about time to send the car back to the owner who can finish up the little stuff, grille, headlights, some wiring work etc and have it ready for the big Ford Bash this spring, hope so!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Looks good!

BTW, what's the part number on that upper rad hose?!?!?!

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks BAD ***! Is that a Magneto dizzy?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure of the part number on the top or bottom hose. I just went to the auto parts store and looked around till I found something that I thought had about the right curve and that I could cut to length, worked out slick. The bottom hose is just a 90 degree bend 2 1/8 inch on each end so it was easy. It was about 2 1/2 feet long when we started and now it's about 10 inches but it fits great.

Yes, it does have a magneto ignition. I'm not sure where Jess came up with that thing but it works fine. I just wired it using an accessory relay with a normally closed terminal that opens when you turn on the key and then grounds the mag when you turn it off.

It's going to be a fun ride for sure. There is still plenty of little stuff to do on the car but all of the major work/getting it driving is all finished.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 PM

I use one for a 1970 Torino 351-C. Looks identical to this one.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ebsightpic.jpg
1970 Cougar Eliminator
512ci
10.42 ET 133mph
All [email protected]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 AM

Dave -

Can't see the pics (govt computer, blocks a lot of web page content), but it sounds like a nice car.

I've got an electric water pump on mine and that didn't leave any room for fans on the back of the radiator, so there are two mounted up front. It does run hot, however. Got to fix that when I get back to the states.

Curious about the heads - are you running the chebby or Ford exhaust on these heads? Mine have chebby exhaust; these heads are supposed to be a bit wider, and the shock towers required major surgery to make room.

Scott

66 Fairlane GT Convt, built 428 with E-brock heads, Toploader 4 sp
68 GTO convt., 455, TH400
70 RAIV GTO, 400, M21, 4.33
71 Javelin road race project, 401, T10
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

On this car with the old 429 style water pump there is just enough clearance that I think Jess could install an engine driven fan if needed by using a single groove pulley set on the bottom, there is about 1 inch to spare.

The heads are the Blue Thunder with the raised CJ style exhaust ports. This feature gave us some challenges with the headers. On this car the shock towers had been modified a bit sometime or another. The owner had trial fitted an engine a long time ago but that engine had the factory CJ style heads! We had to so some minor dimpling on some of the header tubes and we added about 1 inch to one of the tube on the left to get the headers to fit pretty good. The worst tube was cylinder number 3. That one had been dimpled before to make it fit with the CJ heads and we had to give it some more but I think it'll be ok.

Wes and I were looking at the car and it seemed to us that it would be pretty easy to make the shock towers MUCH smaller if a coil over unit was used instead of the shock and spring that's in there stock. A bracket could be fabricated to bolt to the top A arm so that a rod end could pivot and a mount could be made at the top of the tower that could either bolt or weld on to carry the weight. A small spring would allow probably 2-3 inches to be sliced off of the tower leaving plenty of room for the engine.

In the end, a fabbed up stub using a rack and pinion would probably be pretty straight forward to build and it would sure make working on the engine a lot easier. In my opinion this is the worst aspect of this whole car design, it's sort of like a Mopar in reverse. They have lots of room on the top but the K frame under the engine makes headers tight, it's just the opposite on this Ford, tight at the top and pretty easy underneath.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Wow, nice job Dave! The electric fans are the way to go, and I've tried alot of combos on my Fairlane throughtout the years of street driving and Jersey traffic. My current setup, which I've had for a few years now, has been the best. I run twin DeRale fans, with a Universal Ford 31x19 aluminum dual core radiator. Your custom job should do even better. The DeRale fans pull 4000 cfm's of air, but the only drawback is that it takes 40amps to do it. I upgraded my alternator to a 200amp 1 wire, which puts out 90 amps at idle. I can sit in traffic all day long, and stay at 180* with a 180* t-stat, and keep charging the battery. Those DeRale fans fit behind the radiator as well, because it's a thin compact design. If the owner has problems cooling in the summer (I don't know the cfm rating of the fans you have on there), these fans will do the trick. 8) The car looks great!

I have the PN 16928

http://www.derale.com/dual-rad-fan.html

Here's a couple older pics of my 472, with the mechanical water pump, so you can check the clearance. My 521 has an electric water pump, and I moved the radiator forward with a new setup.

I had about 1/4" of clearance with the Weiand pump. :shock: :lol: It worked. :lol:

Here's what it looks like now, with the electric pump.

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Pat
What pulleys are those in the 1st pics ? The look pretty good wouldn't mind getting a set ...Thanks Greg
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Greg, that was a March pulley set I bought a few years ago. It was the street rod setup, which turns the water pump faster for street driving. It had an extra groove on the crank pulley, for power steering. I only needed the single belt. 8) They are on my brother's 47 Ford Truck project, or I'd sell them to you real cheap.

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
That is definitely a bad *** 80's car. Gotta love the tweed. One question though, did you close in the front of the rad except where the fans are or am I not seeing it correct?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Dave wrote:
Quote:
it's about 10 inches but it fits great
:shock:

yeah, thats what they all say. :lol: ops:

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain
...Wes and I were looking at the car and it seemed to us that it would be pretty easy to make the shock towers MUCH smaller if a coil over unit was used instead of the shock and spring that's in there stock. A bracket could be fabricated to bolt to the top A arm so that a rod end could pivot and a mount could be made at the top of the tower that could either bolt or weld on to carry the weight. A small spring would allow probably 2-3 inches to be sliced off of the tower leaving plenty of room for the engine.....
Dave, here's a pic of Total Control Products coil-over conversion for early Mustangs. Fairlane suspensions are similar. You could mount the coil-over on the upper a-arm instead of the lower maybe. The coolest deal is using a Fox coil-over strut and deleting the upper A-arm altogether, because it's mounting location limits how much you can trim the shock towers for clearnce.

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
'69 Mach1 390 4-spd, '64 Falcon Futura
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM

I just put a 521 in a 66 Fairlane used DOVE heads Header problem was solved by using Crites headers just have to grind a bit on the shock tower to clear no 1 and no 3 tubes I used a Griffin universal radiator with two fans on the front no overheating problems yet

521 Powered 66 Fairlane
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:20 PM

Skosler---No ruler's in that house! :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in