06 Mustang limp mode - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
06 Mustang limp mode

My wife has an 06 Mustang GT convertible and two months ago it went into limp mode. After two weeks in the shop they deduced it was the computer. Well today it did the same thing again and guess what? Everything is closed till after xmas. Nice, so my wife is carless and we have relatives in for the holidays. Makes me a proud Ford owner! ops: :roll:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
Man can't the dealership pull code and figure out what's going on from there. I know Imports and the only time that they go in limp mode is when the throttle body fails to work right because of the drive by wire.

Ace
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

mass air meter go to crap? thatll put it in limp mode

just another dual quad 545 :-)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Google at work..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Lot's of stuff points in the direction of the throttle body?

Dun-no but maybe some light to the problem..

Laters!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

They really impressed me with their skills last time when their first answer was "it is the std transmission"..... :shock:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsbyjay
They really impressed me with their skills last time when their first answer was "it is the std transmission"..... :shock:
:lol: now thats funny :lol: id definitely go find another shop. it could easily be a throttlebody issue too, but since it came and went and came back again id be more inclined to think electrical issue- like a bad mass air sensor or a leak between the sensor and the engine. got some carb cleaner? do a vacuum leak test

just another dual quad 545 :-)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

We did the "unhook the battery for 5 minutes" solution and that fixed the problem for now. Last time Ford had it for 3 weeks.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Let me know if it bites you again. I know a GREAT Ford tech but he is on the other side of New Orleans.

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeace
Man can't the dealership pull code and figure out what's going on from there. I know Imports and the only time that they go in limp mode is when the throttle body fails to work right because of the drive by wire.

Ace
It is not that easy. You have to have some kind of intelligence as to know which button to push and then they would need some kind of reading comprehension skills and some ability to decipher the information the computer gives them.

As far as the 06 mustang goes. A guy at work had the same problem of it going into limp mode. What was causing it was a bad temp sensor. It was telling the PCM the engine was getting too hot and then it went into limp mode.

How did I find it?....... I took my laptop VCM and took the car for a drive and monitored the sensors and found the bad sensor. Printed out my verified findings after reading freeze frame data. Gave it to the guy with a note to the service manager that informed him why the dealer could no longer afford to have me! :mrgreen: I am not saying that you are having the same root cause. There are a few things that could cause the limp mode. It takes some diagnostic skills not just using the "dial a prayer" ford BS hotline.

I am not saying I am the "best". I just know how to read a service manual.

Damn I am such a nice guy :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Well we will have to see how long it lasts this time. I have read every reason under the sun through Google but the most common seems to be the throttle body. I haven't worked on anything past EEC IV but I feel confident that I could trouble shoot it better than they did. But hell, that is why I drive a new car so I don't have to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in