Diesel guys, does $250 for alignment sound right? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Diesel guys, does $250 for alignment sound right?

I took my 1996 F250 7.3 2wd to the dealer today to have the front end aligned. It was pulling to the right and eating up the outermost portion of the tread. They said it would be $80. Then about 3 hours later they called and said they were going to have to shim it and the cost was going up to $250. The last truck I had was a reg cab 2000 model 7.3 and it was like $179 for alignment with cams? What is the difference in cams and shims? Does this all sound right?

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Was the 2000 model a twin I-beam also or a 4wd leaf spring truck? I've never had mine aligned at this point, tire wear is excellent at 94K.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

r

2000 model was a 2wd.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Considering they are going to charge you 90 bucks an hour per side. Then I think the shims are like 45 each (it has been a while since I bought or priced out those shims).

So that is about right. Considering that the new machines have the ability to tell the bozo doing the alignment which shim to use, because he is too f&@king stupid to read the service manual.

What it comes down to is this:

Labor: $180
Parts: $90
total $270

Hopefully they will not charge you anything additional to set toe, because if you mess with anything toe NEEDS to be checked and set along with steering wheel center.

I know how simple the process is (and I don't need some f*@ked up computer to tell me how to align a vehicle). The job can be done in about an hour. That is using the old magnetic based camber/caster tools and a toe bar.

YAWNNNNNNNNN............

That is the difference between a technician and the bozo's at a dealer. Give me those three tools and my alignments will be done faster and more accurate then a dealer bozo and a computer.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 PM
kim

If you haven't picked it up yet, ask your service writer for a kiss before you pay for it.

Tell him your accustomed to at least a kiss when ya get ****ed.

Outside of having to cut or notch a strut because of limited adjustment put in from the factory. The act of adding or subtracting shims is all part of a standard alignment, It is how camber is added or subtracted. Its also part of the 1.4hr pay scale of a standard alignment, and or a .8 readjustment....

Some vehicles are a real pain, others not so much. Alignment for an F250 superduty at my shop is $69.99 for a 6month warranty, and or $129.99 for a lifetime alignment, have it reset every 4 months. Only thing that voids the warranty is if you or someone else does front end modication (work) from the alignmnet we set. (ie alignment warranty remains in place if we fix any front end issues).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
Damn, for that price you could buy the tools from jegs to align the thing yourself! I just skimped by with some string, jackstands and a flat shop floor. Caster isn't set, but I was just trying to get it to stop wearing the tires funny.
For myself, I'd buy the tools and do it myself. For you, I might shop around and get the best deal (with a guarantee).

Bumblebee tuna...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
It cost me about $120 for my 4x4 and I thought that was outrageous...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfaster3
.................That is the difference between a technician and the bozo's at a dealer..........

You hit that nail dead on the head! I had mine aligned twice. Each time by a different shop. I did this because each time I got the truck back it would still drift with the road crown. i was told that was normal and it was correct according to the machine. That's BS...

I finally found a front end guy that realized that even though the camber was in spec, the difference in the camber from side to side was causing my drifting problem. One side was on the extrteme top end and the other on the extreme low end. Basically he swapped the exisitng camber kit from side to side and cured it. He also took the slop out of the steering box too. And I only paid $65 for it.

Good mechanics are hard to find nowadays. Most guys are simply parts changers that CANNOT freely think their way out of a wet paper bag, much less through a problem with a vehicle.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbozzelle

I finally found a front end guy that realized that even though the camber was in spec, the difference in the camber from side to side was causing my drifting problem. One side was on the extrteme top end and the other on the extreme low end. Basically he swapped the exisitng camber kit from side to side and cured it. He also took the slop out of the steering box too. And I only paid $65 for it.
I picked up a service manual I had by my desk, and I looked up the specs for 1975 vehicles. By going to the extreme on either side that could give you as much as 1.5 degrees from side to side. The general rule of thumb is 1/2 degree from side to side. Also the manual gives you a nominal spec.

Also, roads can be different from one part of the country to the other. Before I moved to NC I aligned my car all was in spec and the steering wheel was straight. Once I got to NC the steering wheel was in the 11:00 position and the car drifted to the right. Put it back on the rack, rechecked the specs and then learned how to compensate for the road crown of the area. While maintaining good alignment specs for tire wear, handling, road feel and the "look" of a straight ahead steering wheel.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 AM

The diff in the original price and the cost of the shims leaves about 120 or so dollars. Not sure what the flat rate is but thats barely over an hour to install shims in both sides. The tech prolly made 30 bucks additional for doing the work.

The tech is not the bad guy here. Maybe you should take it to the cheap *** front end shop down the road.

Gas costs me nearly 3 bucks gallon, and more so for diesel. Its the store clerks fault I rekon. Same difference.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, I was not complaining. I was just wondering if it was right. I got the truck back and it goes strait, so I am happy. I take it to the dealer because I called about 5 shops in the area and they said they didn't have the equipment to do it. So if anyone knows a good place in the Dallas Ft Worth area, let me know for next time. I am sure there is one, I just didn't have the time to find it.

Thanks,
Tim
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 AM

I watched the tech pull his hair out trying to get mine straight (4X4) tried a few of the cams and finally got it decent but not perfect. Seemed like it was around $129...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM
kim

Cust stairing over tech......... makes em soooo happy. They LOVE being monkeys in a cage.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM

If they didn't want you to watch there wouldn't be a huge window looking into the service bay! :twisted:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
kim

I don't care if ya watch.. hell go hold his hand. Im just telling you how the techs feel. The window isn't there idea, its for peace of mind. Some people don't trust the places they have the repairs done on thier car.... so you can see your car.

I feel if its that bad a relationship......... don't go there. Its like a doctor, barber, hairdresser. Either they have your trust or they don't. Could be with cause, could be image.... but.... if you need to "watch" your vehicle, you should get service somewhere else.

Dealerships don't "allow" you access to your vehicle. Hell, an oil change is an all day affair. Drop it off at 800 and come get it at 500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in