white smoke 2006 f250 diesel !! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

white smoke 2006 f250 diesel !!

took it to the dealer they voided my warranty because i have a aftermarket exhaust---
i start it up in the morning and after 2 min i stop at a light it start the smoke machine ---IT IS HORRIBLE---beshide it being embarrising...
it smells like oil when i take off from the light it will blow a big puff out and while you are driving there is no smoke just when you stop at a light...

any help----- only 10,000 miles !!!!
only cold air and magnaflow exhaust

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 PM
kim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

turbo seal gone, its sucking oil through the turbo,

congradulations on your headache......... parts that have no importance to the situation. Now cost you about $2000.00

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 PM

how exactly does those two things viod your warenty ???? i think id be haven a talk with the dealer and ford . hope mine doesnt start acting up too
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
kim

because ford lets the first determination at the service writers hand. And modification (any) is an allowable warranty discrimination, to the stupidity of aftermarket wheel and tires changing gear ratio..............

Gotta read the FINE print.

Good dealerships work within reason........... there aren't many GOOD dealerships.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 06:33 PM

hey now lems a dealer too lol . but couldnt you pull that stuff off ? before you go i guess its probably too late now
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 PM

There could be a couple of things that cause the smoke, but since it "smells" like oil it could be a turbo. Also EGR problems can cause your smoke. You will need to make sure there are no codes in the system, like a P0401,402,403, 404. There are a couple others but I can't think of them off the top on my head.

Check your oil and coolant level to make sure you have no other issues.

When it comes to voiding your warranty. The dealer needs to use a little discretion to be honest. But it is stated in your owner's manual AND in the dealers Warranty and Policy manual that any after market modifications to try and improve the performance will void your warranty.

When I was at the dealer I never voided a warranty due to an exhaust. The having a bigger exhaust is f*@king worthless. Because of the size of the exhaust opening on the turbo and plus you have to have the converter and that is a 3 inch opening so going up and down in size does do anything except make it louder by using the larger muffler.

I will say if I saw an aftermarket air cleaner set up of any kind would be instant basis for voiding a warranty. I DON'T GIVE A F*@K what K&N or any other company says, when it comes to filtration and performance the system that is on there is the best! The filter is derived from off road technology. If K&N or somebody else was so damn good, the part numbers for the filter on all of new off highway equipment would come back as some style of filter instead of that foam/sponge style that is on your truck.

The reason why they voided your warranty was because you modified your air intake system. What happens when you use another style of filter is the filter lets big of dust particles into the cold side of the turbo which eats away at the metal surfaces and the seals. These particles run through the engine and cause premature dusting (cylinder wall scoring). Finally after these particles have been harden, due to the heat of combustion, it then goes through the hot side of the turbo which causes more damage to the machined surfaces and eats the seals from the other side.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM

you really don't want it to be an EGR cooler. Due to how the cooling system flows you may have other internal engine problems like the oil cooler and head gaskets. There is a diagnostic proceedure for this.

Also if you let it go too long the coolant will eat through pistons and cylinder walls.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
does it go away after it warms up?
Might just be condensation in that huge aftermarket muffler of yours. Takes about ten minutes to heat up enough to make steam, then goes away after it all gets evaporated. Diesel exhaust allways smells like oil to me.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfaster3
I will say if I saw an aftermarket air cleaner set up of any kind would be instant basis for voiding a warranty. I DON'T GIVE A F*@K what K&N or any other company says,
Not meaning to steal the thread....

It's an apples to oranges comparison in my case. What is your opinion of the aftermarket K&N type that is sold by Ford through Ford Racing Power Parts? In my case I have an 08 Shelby GT 500. Ford sells a Cold Air Intake kit for these supercharged cars that Ford says DOES NOT void your warranty. They even give a 12/12 warranty on the kit itself if installed by a dealer. This same kit comes standard on the Shelby GT Mustangs and will be on the GT500KR and the new 08 Bullit Mustang.

My point is that the air filter itself is basically the same as what voided the truck warranty. How can Ford say the design is bad when they sell one just like it that doesn't void the warranty.

David Cole
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM

Dude gimme a shout tommorrow, I type slow so a phone call is in order.

I'll pm my number.

I work at "one of the few good dealers".........get so tired of hearing that bullshyt.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:29 AM

David, I have seen more diesel engines dusted from a cotton guaze type filter, the turbo will suck it right through the deal. This is not taking into account the ill fitment of then. Gas burner is a different story, the thing you have to watch for is over oiling the element and it getting on the mass air flow meter.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 AM

David,

the reason you can put that on your cobra is because some one at ford has given their blessing of it. At one time I would say that they actually did some testing of the product first, but that is hard to say now.

Guy's don't look at me as one of the "bad guys" here when it comes to this 6.0L. When you work at a ford dealership there is a book called the warranty and policy manual. If you work at ford I recommend you read it. The 2007 version is 375 pages. This is sent down by corporate and as long as you follow it to the letter you can't be wrong. If a customer wants to take their complaint up the chain of command at ford let them. If a Field Service Rep gets involved and wants to change the rules for a customer, fine let them they have that power. Not only that, it is ford's product they pay the bill let them make the rules. Granted they maybe contradicting everything they have ever said in the past.

This much I know. I have about 300 super duties with the 7.3L that are somewhere between 500,000-750,000 miles on them. Not only that I have about another 200 6.0L with 30,000 to 300,000 miles on them. That is close to 500 trucks and I have very few problems with them, because I maintain them the way they came off the show room floor. When one of our trucks goes down that cost the company over $100 per hour. I am not going to take a chance on the serviceability of these trucks by what some aftermarket company says. When it comes down to a shop as a whole I can't tell you how many driver's schedule there trips so they can get their trucks service by us. We even have a fleet that comes from west coast just for service. That says a lot, we must be doing something right. There is NO ford dealer that can claim that!

We can all sit here and talk about our 429/460 and our hot rods all day long. We can do all kinds of goofy **** to them. When it comes right down to it, when you step out of your garage and stop messing with your own vehicles and have to go in and put your name on a repair on a truck/engine that is making another man/woman a living it is a whole different ball game. It is like the engine builders we have on the site, if you watch them they may do things you may disagree on. It is their experience and their name on it. So they will do what they feel is the right way.

If you don't like what I say. Well come on out into the auto and truck service world. There is plenty of room for you. I hope you are fast because at a ford dealer you will have to work flat rate. If you work on medium and heavy duty trucks you better have the service manual open if not some one will tell you to pack your ****.

Sorry didn't mean to steel the thread.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in