Being Un- Reasonable?? A little long Sorry edited - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Being Un- Reasonable?? A little long Sorry edited

First I am not asking for a pity party for what I am about to say here JUST whether or not I am being un reasoanble. This Past August (07) I quit my job where I worked at becasue I coldn't take the abuse I was getting from my supervisor at the time. Since then I have not been able to find work due to the tite market here in Michigan. For the past five (5) years I have been working on a 1982 Ford Fairmont saving money etc buying parts as I get the money. I now have a stock pile of 460 parts and chassis parts for my build, just need fuel delivery system and the electronics plus a few small parts to finish the engine and the car will be ready to assemble. THE WIFE SAYS THAT I AM BEING UN-REASONABLE FOR REFUSING TO SELL OFF THE CAR AND THE ACUMULATED CAR PARTS TO HELP OUT OUR FINIACAL (SP) SITUIATON. This stock pile of parts runs into thousands of dollars and the chassis is complete other than to reassemble after paint. ( in primer now). SO am I being unreasonable in my quest to keep the car and parts with the hopes that my job situation will change here in 08 or should I listen to the wife and sell out. I feel that I am being resaonable and the wife says not. So a little feed back would be nice from you folks here on the forum :mrgreen:

After the wife read a few posts here she relented on selling the car parts realizing that I would take a beating on them and the fact that it would not get us to where she thinks we should be. Thanks to all here for your posts casue I now beleive the wife is beginning to understand how I feel about getting this car ready for the track. Thanks to all.
Paul :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Keep the car, get rid of the wife..... :lol: on a more serious note, find a job, keep your car..... Sounds pretty simple to me.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks dfree383 for the feed back. I didn't mention that I do have a part time job that manages to pay the bills etc but I do need a full time job and I am looing for that job. Also sorry about my spelling the fingers don't work as well as they use to.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
As long as the bills are paid I'd keep the car. Nows not the time to be selling car parts, you'll loose your butt selling stuff right now.

Grab yourself another part timer if shes complaining.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM

How about the wife getting a job and you keep looking for a full time job. Keep the car and keep chipping away at things. There are alot of people in the same boat right now.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ebsightpic.jpg
1970 Cougar Eliminator
512ci
10.42 ET 133mph
All [email protected]
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I think you should start by having a garage type sale selling the Microwave first then the coffeemaker and you certainly don't need a clothes dryer after washing clothes as you have plenty of time to hang them, then any electric appliance is now expendable as the time is available to do all those things by hand also. Hair dryers are a waste of time when you're not in a hurry and jeez you are actually ON this computor which should be part of that garage sale.
Get rid of the parts which are easily replaced at a later date and keep the rest along with the car.

:shock: I guess that all sounds pretty silly but, it's ALL about PRIORITIES; isn't it ... :?:

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

my wife is a lpn makes decent dough. is pissed cause she looks at my long accumulated hobby stuff and says the same ****t. however she spent the same amount doing fanfare, cma awards, trips to las vegas ceon dion(spelling) etc.....HER EXPENDATURES EQUAL MINE. BUT HER STUFF IS PICTURES OR FLUSHED IN TOILET BOWL. mine sit in the garage etc. lol, bobn
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Compromise...

Look through your stuff, and surely you will find some things that aren't really up to your expectations. If you have a few items that you would like to update, sell them off... but of course, you will have to replace them with what you really want and need after you get back to working full time. This should buy you some time to get the job and later get the good parts you want. Everyone happy?

Tom
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM

As I have mentioed before I have two job's one for the family and one for my hobbys. The other day my Honey mentioed that all the money should be for the family account, I said if she would like me to set her up with her own lawn service to help pay for my car's I would be more than happy to share my lawn service cash with her! My reg check for the last 28 yr's go's to her no problem and we have done very well. The moral is (leave my fun money ALONE). With that said you mite want to pick up some more part time job's and just make that in to a full time gig, witch isn't all bad you set your time's and shifts. Keep the car work a little harder. Be 8)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've never checked, but what do parts houses pay these days (autozone, napa, etc)? They could use someone who knows what a valve spring is and you should get a discount on parts. Before I got my 'career' job, I worked at all kinds of little places to make ends meet. I worked at a parts house (not the best pay, but i god a good discount on parts). i worked at Discount Tire ( pretty decent pay and I got a good price on tires). I worked the early shift for UPS loading trucks (pretty good pay, worked 4am to 9 am). I almost worked at a Home Depot (I think they gave a good discount at the store). A friend of mine works at a heavy equipment rental place and gets a super good deal on renting heavy equipment. If you see my theme... Some jobs may not pay big $$$, but they have some perks like discounts at the store. It's the best thing I did until I got my long term job. Hope it helps. If you don't mind me saying- turn to the big guy upstairs. He has always got me through rough times.

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM

If the car stuff is paid for keep it.It will cost you twice as much to get it back!Good luck with the job situation.Alsoif you are a believer,pray about it and it will work out.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM

My brother has a wife who had a job that paid exactly what his does, $75K. One day, she got pissed off & quit. I asked him if he had the same freedom... He said no, he'd never do that. I'd have **** a brick over that one.

Couples make priorities as a couple, based on finances. women are give & take. Some are worth having around, some are not. I'm glad the second time I got married, I made it a priority to marry someone who shared my interest in the car hobby.

John Strube
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Gotta keep the peace. You vowed to God stay with her, not the Fairmont.
That said, you need to wait till spring to sell anything.
That buys you some time to pull it together.

My buddy Mike lives near you-exact same situation.
Michigan is messed up very badly.
Detroit is an anchor on the state and the mayor is raping it.
Its spreading quickly to Toledo.
Ever hear the phrase "When Detroit sneezes Toledo catches a cold"?
Detroit has cancer.

The answer for us both is to move someplace better.

Luckily for me my wife knows I'll flip out and kill somebody
without my hobbies. On the same note I know I have to provide
for the household. If I have to, I'll sell my crap to make ends
meet and she knows it. So far that knowledge keeps her on my side.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM

I feel you brother. That is why I am still single....LOL.

I do have a girlfriend after a lot of searching. She has her college I have my car. She does get a little P.O. about the car sometimes, but it is short lived.

This past weekend I offered her a romantic date. We went to a salvage yard I looked around she held the tools and my crutches while I looked. I found a few things spent a 100 bucks, and we both got a little dirty. We came back to my place I checked the mail, found I had received a new piece of chrome for the body. Showed her how to install it, she installed it and was really happy. We got cleaned up went out. I still have a trans leak, when I am able to go back to work I will fix it, till then I just add what is needed. I got a little on me. The chrome piece was for the upper part of the fender by the windshield. I swear to God she was just like a damn dog head hanging out the window and drooling looking at the little piece of chrome she put on....lol. Spent 50 bucks on dinner and listen about her graduate degree. She is in law school. So, I just sit there and just shake my head. She was sitting close and smelled the little bit of trans fluid she got a little excited. And the rest is history.....lol.

Isn't that a romantic weekend?

When she starts on me about my extra parts. I tell her I am going to hang the extra tail light assembly on the wall and wire it up with a sequencer. Then attach a switch by the bed and after sex I will turn it on. :mrgreen: After that she doesn't mind the parts in the one corner of my apartment....LOL

It is a beautiful relationship :lol: :lol:
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 PM

well...

I just told the wife " maybe you want to post a reply " to which she replied " what would I say ?? " .. Well first off guys Gods word says he will meet our needs if we trust him , needs equals food shelter clothing (and actually the bible only says "with food and rainment be content" but I ,living in Michigan , preffer to live in a house so I will grant the shelter part ). now onto the wife part ....... I cant compare my wife to other mens wives but , here goes.. I pretty much work late , dont call and tell her when I will be home ,go long distances to sell parts and go long distances to buy very expensive machines at the drop of the hat , all I ask is "how much do we have in the bank ?" and she doesnt even wince .. I stay late at Randys shop , go places with Randy , eat out with .. you guessed it , Randy more than my wife .. and she never whines, just smiles and say "when will you be home ".. She does all the books ( I dont have a clue what I have ) But I can tell you this , first , you cant eat a race car , if you are way behind , well , it can always be replaced... second a happy wife makes a happy man , a miseable old hag , well you know ..... I guess it boils down to asking the right questions when you get married , mine to her was " would you live in a shack ?" to which she replied "sure " I knew I had the right woman .. we dont live in a shack we have a nice ranch)and 2 garages ) , but I knew she would be one thrifty woman (more money for my stuff ) .. guys I learned a long time ago I would rather sleep in the house than the garage ... keep peace at all costs .. I dont love any of my vehicles , but I do love my wife .......and sorry but she is staying here......

PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT INC,. YOUR FIRST STOP FOR CRANKSHAFT REPAIR , MODIFICATIONS AND CUSTOM CRANKSHAFTS /; ROTATING ASSEMBLIES ... coffee donuts and entertainment available at no extra charge ... shop phone 586 549 7557
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in