Need someone to grind me a CAM! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need someone to grind me a CAM!

Here's the deal... I was going to go on one of the small block forums that I pull info off of every once and awhile and ask them who I should have grind my cam but then I came to realize something... SBF kids are kind of retarded. hahaha I'm trying not to be sad by this but, I'm starting to really think that after this last small block... I may sell all my small blocks and just stick to my big block stuff. I mean, I can't be the only one out there that goes to small block ford forums and reads some of the crap that these kids say. I'm not saying all youngin's with SBF's are idiots but I am saying that most of them are complete idiots. So, with that being said, I think I'll stop my tangent and ask away.

Ok, need a cam made for my small block (I know, I know, don't say anything about me being an idiot asking for a cam grinder for a small block on a big block site but I just won't get the professionalism from some 17 year old, testosterone driven, know it all, that I will from the professionals on this forum)

I would like to hear from a few of ya on if you've had good luck with your custom grind and who you decided to use to grind your cam. I think it's important to develope a relationship with ANYONE that you are having design what I consider to be the heart of the motor. If the air doesn't move, neither does the car, so to me it's a vital piece of equipment.

I guess this is more of a technical question, but since I'm just as concerned with making sure that my relationship with the person grinding my cam is as solid as the cam itself, I figured this would be a more appropriate place for this thread.

Also, if you read something that someone has written and disagree, please, do me a favor and don't post a negative response in the thread. I can receive PM's, so please, send me a private message as to your grievence with what someone has posted instead of in the thread. I think that bashing is just immature and uncalled for. Not everyone is going to have a good experience but I think criticizing someone's work or how they handled a situation is usually on the behalf of the customer. So, what I'm saying is... if you're a bad customer, keep those horror stories to yourself hahaha

And since I haven't posted anything in awhile, let me start off by saying happy new year everyone and I hope everyone has a sub 9 pass goal set in their new years resolution!

1987 T-Bird Turbo coupe (already stripped awaiting transplant)

Motor is currently being built, should be good for about 800+ at the wheels. (with giggle juice and streetable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

T/Chicken, Have you tried sbftech.com ? They seem more mature than most of the other smallblock sites (corral & such). Jay Allen is said to know his stuff but he won't give ya free cam specs. He makes his living grinding custom cams so ya can't blame him for not "giving" away free specs.
ALSO -- We need more of your Jokes !! LOL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Just call or email Bullet cams, tell them exactly what you have and what you are going to do with it and they will fix you up. I deal with John Partridge.

Bad Company Till the day I die!

Bob Carr

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM

Get ahold of Scott @ RHP aka The Mad Porter here... He offers custom ground cams...

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:45 PM

OOPS, Sorry , wrong Thunderchicken. My Bad.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posford
T/Chicken, Have you tried sbftech.com ? They seem more mature than most of the other smallblock sites (corral & such). Jay Allen is said to know his stuff but he won't give ya free cam specs. He makes his living grinding custom cams so ya can't blame him for not "giving" away free specs.
ALSO -- We need more of your Jokes !! LOL
Just don't even dream about questioning his build, I did, and got banned
from the site... PM me for a full report...

SteveL

“This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself…”
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
I just had Jay Allen grind me a cam this past year for a small FORD full roller and changed to a victor jr heads and a parker funnel web. I bought the heads before I knew of him, he sells Canfeilds and is working on a CNC program as well. This guy really knows his **** and has a lot to back everything up. Heck I just wish he would list all the companies that he's has work for over the years and professional race teams. I know he's worked for TFS for some time and helped them develop heads and redevelop heads. I know he's the cam guy that Dave Morgan is to a suspenion guy. He is very argumentive because most people he deal's with really don't know what there doing and want cam spec's for free! :shock:

Ace
we'll see this summer what the small block does and if it picks up more than expected I'll have him grind me a cam for my dragster. I had a very well know colorado builder that had his own company, then got hired by TCI then transfered to comp cams grind 2 cams for the dragster and the 2nd one slowed down .15 seconds. And I though he knew something.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM

if that dude help develop TFS heads, he would know Tim Murphy. Ace, why two cams? 2nd slowed down, what about the first? do they ask what in the engine for a cam now- i woulnt tell them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeace
I just had Jay Allen grind me a cam this past year for a small FORD full roller and changed to a victor jr heads and a parker funnel web. I bought the heads before I knew of him, he sells Canfeilds and is working on a CNC program as well. This guy really knows his **** and has a lot to back everything up. Heck I just wish he would list all the companies that he's has work for over the years and professional race teams. I know he's worked for TFS for some time and helped them develop heads and redevelop heads. I know he's the cam guy that Dave Morgan is to a suspenion guy. He is very argumentive because most people he deal's with really don't know what there doing and want cam spec's for free! :shock:

Ace
we'll see this summer what the small block does and if it picks up more than expected I'll have him grind me a cam for my dragster. I had a very well know colorado builder that had his own company, then got hired by TCI then transfered to comp cams grind 2 cams for the dragster and the 2nd one slowed down .15 seconds. And I though he knew something.

I wouldn't let Jay (bone head) Allen grind a cam for my lawn mower. he kind of incinuated to me he was (God) and he knew everything so I figured he was a D/A after that....the reason he worked for so many companies is probably his Arrogance.

Randy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM

i don't think he has a grinder. has someone grind them for him
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanx guys! I am going to talk to a few guys on Monday (getting mixed reviews about Jay Allen) and since I am not one for ego's... probably won't go smoothly if he's got a big head but, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and listen to what he has to say.

If anyone wants specs on the small block, just shoot me an PM and I'll give ya a full list. It's your basic 393 with AFR 185's, a victor intake, demon 750, good internals, etc...

If anyone is running a similar setup let me know what you're running and some #'s from your build and in what car and weight.

1987 T-Bird Turbo coupe (already stripped awaiting transplant)

Motor is currently being built, should be good for about 800+ at the wheels. (with giggle juice and streetable)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969

I wouldn't let Jay (bone head) Allen grind a cam for my lawn mower. he kind of incinuated to me he was (God) and he knew everything so I figured he was a D/A after that....the reason he worked for so many companies is probably his Arrogance.

Randy
I'm not a Randy fan but will give him +1 for the comment.. If ya go to Hardcore 5.0 Jay abuses his GTO over Mustang.. I get sick of reading it..

Laters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in