A/C Cobra's - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
A/C Cobra's

I am looking at buying an A/C Cobra in the next couple of years. I know there are a few board members that have cars and I was looking for some feedback on which cars they have/recommend and why. I am going to buy a finished car (I already have 3 projects on the go). The only ones I have seen is the FFR cars and West Coast Cobras (along time ago).

Thanks,

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 AM

There is a shop here in Toledo building turnkey factory 5s. They are a F5 franchise. I recently took my wife to the guy's painter after she banged it up.
The painter is his body guy on all the cars he sells. He showed me just how much has to be done to the bodys before they fit together. They come with really bad seams on the fender tops and the doors require up to 3/4" shaved off to fit. The cars are really nice when done though. His base car is about $65K.

There is another guy I run into at shows with a Superformance car.
He said he visited a lot of factories before he settled on a turn key car from them.

Those are the only 2 companies I have heard discussed.
I'd love to have one too but I don't play the lottery.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jay,

The answer to such a very general question could be more than we would live to write or read the answer :shock:

Check out clubcobra.com and cobracountry.com

Read a lot, decide what you want to do with the car, what engine, trans, budget etc etc then try a more specific question!

Not being critical, just saying you need to decide some things, then re-ask.

By all means, make it fun.

Tom

Wells's law of engine size: If it matters what gear it's in, the engine's too small.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Here is a link to my car.

http://public.fotki.com/The_Pope/fia-289/

Kirkham FIA 289 - I wouldn't recommend anything else. I understand the Superformance are probably the best fiberglass cars.

PM if you want more info.

David
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Jay,

The answer to such a very general question could be more than we would live to write or read the answer :shock:

Check out clubcobra.com and cobracountry.com

Read a lot, decide what you want to do with the car, what engine, trans, budget etc etc then try a more specific question!

Not being critical, just saying you need to decide some things, then re-ask.

By all means, make it fun.

Tom
Exactly. I am a member of both boards. I have full intention on a relicpcar at some point in my life. The 2 sites listed are to Cobras as this place is to the 460.

Good luck with the decisions and build. I am planning on now a GT40 Replica instead of the Cobra I think.

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 AM

A/C Cobra

fordsbyjay,

I bought a '65 427 MKI Factory Five Race cobra with 2400 miles last June. The kit was completed in 2002 and I am the fourth owner. There were some issues with the car, weak brakes, but some adjustments correted this. I suggest you go to the www.ffcobra.com forum and review all the information about th FFR cars and find cars for sale. I am satisfied with their kit but will update some parts. You can attend shows like the Mid America Shelby Show in Tulsa, OK in June to see and talk to the owners. Plus you can see some "real" Cobras. I think I will show my Cobra and a 545 '87 Mustang.

Mike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Just wanted to throw out another company to consider.

Unique Motorcars is one of the oldest and most respected Cobra replica companies. They are local to me. I've had a shop tour and was totally blown away.

Take a look:

http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 01:53 PM

I been researching cobra kits for years because I want one myself and will be getting one. For now I settled with a tubbed 94 cobra Mustang. anyway for the money and completeness of the kits I have narrowed my choices to HURRICANEMOTORSPORTS.COM and FACTORYFIVE.COM . Hurricane kit is very complete minus engine , trans ,wheels and paint. a very period correct car with some nice standard parts from wilwood . also comes standard with a 9". Great kit. Factory five now offeres a kit now that is complete minus eng, trans , wheels and paint. The chassis is the best I have seen and looks to be the safest on the road. I think my only draw back is the so called perky butt body . The rear is not period correct on this car but other than that is it the most popular cobra kit and most perduced. Each year end they give 2000 dollars in options free with the sale of one of thier cars. Next year they will be building a kit that replicates a famous origanal car period correct and without the perky butt I believe.
Now If you want a car already complete and show quality minus engine and trans, go with the Superformance. These cars are near perfect. They are imported from South Africa.
there are beter car kits out there but not within my budget. royce

1994 Cobra Mustang big tire car 501ci 650na +200 nos
TH-400 JW trans RVB W/ brake 4800 stall
12pt cage [email protected] equipped ,street car kinda and pinks all out one day
1994 Mustang GT convertible 435 W efi ramair
550 hp na stroker / the wifes car . she is a
awesome wife that just wants to have some
fun too. /
1966 F100 custom tube chassie bagged big tire 477 t-ram
A460 572ci P-51 deal. not sure what to do with it yet
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Get the Cobra Country book...it's cheap enough & discusses just about all of the top Cobra replica makers. Kirkham, Unique, Factory Five, Superformance, Everett-Morrison, and a number of others are all listed in there. It has contact info, descriptions, & so forth.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that to make it into the book, a maker has to be Cobra Country/Curt Scott "approved", meaning they have to conform to certain standards. In other words, you are to assume that anyone in there does not make complete junk, and they have certain standards of customer service & longevity. You won't see any "bashing" in the book...if a vendor isn't in there, you are expected to draw your own conclusions. Read the Cobra Country web site & his editorials, & you'll get an idea of how the book is structured. He does not really address individual weaknesses of each builder...so far as accuracy, body fit, & so forth.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who hangs with a LOT of Cobra owners & who has a lot of track time, says that most of them have Superformance cars. Not my thing, because they only sell turnkey so far as I know, but that's exactly what you're looking for.

The Unique Cobra that I have seen personally was a NICE car, and the owner/builder was just a regular guy, and just assembled it...not really any custom work done, or needed. Their customer service is excellent, according to him...a family-owned business, evidently.

One thing that I've discovered is that every Cobra owner will tell you that the brand he chose is the best....validating their purchase, just as we all do with expensive cylinder heads & so forth.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:29 PM

IMHO

If I was going to run out and buy a fiberglass assembled Cobra kit car, I would buy a Superformance.

I own a West Coast. My buddy owns a Superformance.

I've never seen a better car than what Superformance is turning out; it's a gorgeous turn-key machine.

How tall are you? I simply don't fit in a normal Cobra kit. I'm 6'4, 300lbs. My West Coast with modified interior/seats and such fits me like a glove. The Superformance fits me like OJ's glove. If that's an issue for you, then your options are limited.

If you really want to build your car from the ground up, I think there's no better value than the FFR. However, in order to achieve a desireable end result, you're looking at a lot of labor; there's no free lunch and the FFRs require a tremendous amount of body work. I've seen what it takes to make a nice looking FFR body. My body man (www.streetrodpainter.com) has a dozen of these bodies in his shop at any given time. It's a long arduous process to make the body as nice as they are when they roll out of there.

B

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Very good point about the dimensions...there are several makers that will either stretch a Cobra for you on request, or their bodies/wheelbases are designed to be longer than an original Cobra. That is mentioned in the book I referred to earlier.

Every person I've talked to with experience building a Factory Five has said that a lot of body prep is needed. They seem to be a very good entry level kit, and the average guy can afford one with care, but the resale value doesn't seem to be as high as that of other kits. I've been mulling over building one of their Type 65 cars.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The shop owner where I worked picked up a Cobra kit car. It began life as a salad bar in a Vegas Casinio.. He got it Cheap too..

It now just sit's out back behind the shop.. Has a 351 engine and interior..

I'll add a pic of it when I can if ya all are interested..

Laters!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
Re: IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE
If I was going to run out and buy a fiberglass assembled Cobra kit car, I would buy a Superformance.

I own a West Coast. My buddy owns a Superformance.

I've never seen a better car than what Superformance is turning out; it's a gorgeous turn-key machine.

How tall are you? I simply don't fit in a normal Cobra kit. I'm 6'4, 300lbs. My West Coast with modified interior/seats and such fits me like a glove. The Superformance fits me like OJ's glove. If that's an issue for you, then your options are limited.

If you really want to build your car from the ground up, I think there's no better value than the FFR. However, in order to achieve a desireable end result, you're looking at a lot of labor; there's no free lunch and the FFRs require a tremendous amount of body work. I've seen what it takes to make a nice looking FFR body. My body man (www.streetrodpainter.com) has a dozen of these bodies in his shop at any given time. It's a long arduous process to make the body as nice as they are when they roll out of there.

B
I am 6' and a svelt 240 lol. My wife will be driving it as well and she is only 5' 2". We just want a 2 seater with no room for kids (some of you will know what I mean). A decent small block or mild big block is fine with a 5 or 6 spd so we can put some miles on it.

I am looking at buying a complete car because I already have 3 projects on the go. There is a fellow that comes to some of our Ford shows and he is a Superformance dealer so I will talk to him next time I see him. I think the most advertised has to go to the FFR cars but that doesn't mean they are the best. There have been some good comments about the body, fit and finish ets so far and that is the feedback I am looking for.

We had a West Coast dealer where I grew up and they were stretched for more comfort (witch I am not against).

Thanks,

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in