New Drug in our Schools... Not A Joke!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New Drug in our Schools... Not A Joke!!!

A friend of mine sent me this in an Email...
He said his wife checked it out on "Snopes" and says it's true...
I told him I would help him spread the word....

Be C 8) 8) L,

Doug... 8)

Latest Drug in Middle School - Dusting 'Dusting'

First, I'm going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name is Jeff. I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for its crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were # 2 in the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police K-9 named Thor. He was
certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at 3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't allow it. He would tell on you. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about drugs.

I have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one in February 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers. They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust off a computer. A few weeks later when I went to use one of them they were all used. I talked to my kids and my two sons both said they had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled at them for wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them.

On February 28th I went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st, I left for work at 10 PM. Just before midnight my wife went down and kissed Kyle goodnight. At 5:30 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was propped up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He would sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over. He was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust off was in his system. No other drugs. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 AM.

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kid's ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting, a take off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. It's just compressed air. It can't hurt you. His best friend said so.

Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air. It also contains a propellant called R2. It's a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator. It is a heavy gas, heavier than air. When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. IT KILLS YOU.

The horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. IT'S NOT AN OVERDOSE . You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as you're breathing it in, if not, you die within 2 seconds of finishing 'the hit.' That's why the straw was still in Kyle's mouth when he died. Why his eyes were still open. The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. And that's why it's more accepted. There is no chemical reaction, no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite, if I had only known.

It's easy to say hey, it's my life and I'll do what I want . But it isn't. Others are always affected. This has forever changed our family's life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed. The pain is so immense I can't describe it. There's nowhere to run from it. I cry all the time and I don't ever cry. I do what I'm supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One won't talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I can't even describe how bad she is taking this. I thought we were safe because of Thor. I thought we were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A probation Officer went to the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather affluent school system. They will tell you they don't have a drug problem there. They don't even have a dare or plus program there. So rather than tell everyone about this 'new' way of getting high they found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle's death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they would have told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't h ave been in my house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs. Using Dust Off isn't new and some 'professionals' do know about it. It just isn't talked about much, except by the kids. They all seem to know about it. April 2 nd was 1 month since Kyle died, April 5th would have been his 15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the bus.

This Officer is asking for everyone who receives this email to forward it to everyone in their address book, even Law Enforcement Officers !

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 AM

Sorry

I'm sorry for your lost. Just remember it's not your fault. As kids are dreaming up all kind of ways to get high. I've always said if it has to be altered GOD didn't mean for to have. All these chemical drug's are killing the world. The old high is weed doesn't harm like this. And it doesn't special start with weed either. Some cases yes but alot no. Our science is getting to futurerisk now and what makes it so bad it is going to get worse. :shock: Thats why i much rather is them do weed more so that what God didn't give us. Course i understand you rather see no drug PERIOD. A person who does weed can be worked with but a DRUNK (a DRUG ) :evil: can't be worked with and all these chemical drugs is killing us. :cry: Many years ago i did undercover work in my state. We really don't have a choice as people are going to do what they want. The more you so no to the more they want to do it. Again I'm sorry for your lost and my prayers are with you may GOD bless you more in the future.--Fastfrog
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Forum Contributor

Until you lose someone to this type of thing most people don't get it. Feb 13 my neighbor and his cousin were having a party at their place, lots of underage drinking and probably some drugs. Short story, the dumb asses started playing Russian Roulette. The cousin lost the game. What has gotten into the kids these days? Why do they need to do drugs? What is the attraction? Fastfrog no weed is not good and yes it does lead to other drug use and I would kick someones *** if I found them with it. I should have done it to my cuz then maybe he would still be a person, instead of a meth head and on a fast track to the grave.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Huffing has been around forever. I remember 20 years ago, a girl died at a party my buddy was at after huffing Scotch Guard. I remember it vividly because I had to work that night & couldn't go. She was 16. He was 20, knew CPR & tried to revive her. Even before that, people used to huff gasoline & model glue...

Dust Off is just the latest in a long line of chemicals kids have used to get high.

Keep them busy & keep an eye on them. Get in thier face, don't be a friend, be a parent. That's what keeps kids from trying crap like this.

John Strube
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Confirmed....http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/dustoff.asp

Pretty good accompanying article with it, too...food for thought for those of us with teenagers.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have never understood Russian Roulette. I mean WTF :!: :?: :?:

I think they play too many video games that teach them that if you get shot you can just hit reset and try again.

I can't lie, in Highschool I drank like a fish and got drunker than a skunk on many occasions, but never-ever did we do any of the stupid crap some of these kids do.

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Keep them busy & keep an eye on them.
John - That is sound/good advice.

For the last seven years untill my son graduated I have been a single dad raising a teenage son. I consider myself lucky because he is simply a good boy and was never a problem child.

As John stated I think the secret was "keeping him busy" with me working nights/long hours it gave him a lot of opportunity to be irresponsable. I kept him in sports and active as I could. I made a agreement with him I would furnish a car/insurane and change if he maintained a 3.0 GPA and played two sports and got a summer job each summer. A few bumps in the road occasionly but for the most part that approach worked well.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM

I Like the approach using the sports and working. We did that with 3 daughters and it worked good. Plus I did breath checks and looked at there eyeballs when they came in. I also had been known to drive around and see if they are really at the location they were supposed to be at.
As my children got older and left home I finally ended up telling them about all the trouble and things I got into and the things we tried. They always wondered how I knew what they were thinking about doing.Tore

70 Cobra
71 Cobra
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Re: New Drug in our Schools... Not A Joke!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Enforcement Officer
We need to get this [Dust Off] out of our homes and school computer labs.
There lies the problem. Do people really think that the product 'Dust Off' is at fault?

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
Re: New Drug in our Schools... Not A Joke!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Enforcement Officer
We need to get this [Dust Off] out of our homes and school computer labs.
There lies the problem. Do people really think that the product 'Dust Off' is at fault?
Maybe they could sue "Dust Off". JK.

I think it makes a world of difference if you spend a lot of time with your kids. I have three teenagers and we do almost everything together. My wife has always stayed home with them and we have a close family. They are night and day difference from when I was a teenager. I go cruising with my daughters, watch movies together, it is great. That being said I am not stupid enough to think there are some things they do that we don't know about. All you can do is talk about EVERYTHING and don't take nothing for granted. Things like this we bring up a the dinner table (yes we eat dinner together as a family every night) and anything is open. I believe education is the key here. If you don't tell you daughter where babies come from can you really be mad when they come home pregnant??

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Danny's right .. Taking the "dust off" away really don't solve the problem, there are a hundred other inhalant possibilities for them to try. When I was a kid in high School in the 70-80’s it was a little spray bottle that looked like breath refresher called “locker room”

Educating children/parents and teaching kids it simply isn't worth the risk is the only real method. It isn't as simple as "telling/teaching" one time it is wrong and moving on. It's a procedure of a constant reminder and consistently checking in and re educating them. That’s the approach the whole DARE program uses, pretty much burn it into their heads from repeatability and brain wash effect..

I was fortunate to enjoy " Kart racing" as a buffer and motor sport to tie myself and son together from 5 yrs old to when he was a teenager and eventually school sports, girls came in the picture to replace that activity. But all them years gave us an opportunity to bond and I think he had a better "trust" and "respect" in listening to what I had to say.

Also every child is different as we know, before my divorce my step daughter was a whole different story. While my son hit a few bumps in the road. My step daughter hit every pump, rock, crevice and never did find a strait part of the road to drive on. No matter what I did to protect and help her understand. Her only thought was that I was a giant “fun hater” and my only purpose on this earth was to make her life miserable as a teenager.

This is a great thread because it is a “teaser” for all parent to look. Listen and take in and see other problems. Raising kids have to be so much harder these days then it was when I was a child. Some of my funniest memories of my family are based around my brother and I and my Dads discipline procedures when we messed up. Not only getting the crap beat out of us but the other funny stuff like having to hold hands with our brother and telling that we love each other for hours over a fight and argument.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastertech70
Some of my funniest memories of my family are based around my brother and I and my Dads discipline procedures when we messed up. Not only getting the crap beat out of us but the other funny stuff like having to hold hands with our brother and telling that we love each other for hours over a fight and argument.
I remember those days too... One day my dad made me and my older brother stand out in the street in front of his shop( a very public street ) and give each other a hug and a kiss and tell each other we loved them...

YYYEEEUCK!!! That cured alot of the fighting... ( At least in front of dad )

Be C 8) 8) L,

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in