making my own fiberglass bumpers - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

making my own fiberglass bumpers

Crites used to make fiberglass for the 65-67 galaxies, doesn't look like they do anymore. Probably lack of demand.
I want some fiberglass bumpers for my 67 drag car. searched for some for sale now for a couple months.
I am considering making my own, I have good fabrication skils and I think a project like that would be a good challenge.

Has anyone else made there own fiber glass parts?
I think if I got a set of bumpers that would look decent at 20 feet on a car I would be satisfied..

Dane V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

davey from what I have heard you can do it yourself just have lots of good bracing for the bumper so when you take the mold off it will not flex....

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes...

Randy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
This came up recently, maybe useful to you?

https://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=20293

Edit: The release agent is known as PVA. it can be sprayed or brushed.
I did a google search " release agent for fiberglass" and came up with this... some decent reading.

http://www.fibreglast.com/learning_c...fiberglass.pdf

Tom

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 AM

Fiberglast is a great source for materials and information. They have ready made kits depending on what size project you're doing. Click on there Learning Center, lots of info on making your own molds and making fiberglass parts. http://www.fibreglast.com/showproduc...lines-120.html

I made this piece to replace the glass in my sunroof, using the orginal glass as a mold.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

very good
I read both the older post on 68 bumpers by big fun, (He has that very big block powered 68 fastback Gal. I've seen.)

and the info on fiber glast.com

I have na idea. I'll go after it in the next few weeks and see.

thanks
D
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

A long time ago we made a fiberglass bumper for the rear of a '61 Falcon and it turned out great. Here's what we did:

We used the stock bumper and filled a few minor imperfections, it was pretty good. I took several layers of duct tape and taped over where the license plate went to make that area even with the rest of the new bumper.

We then waxed the bumper with car wax and set it up on some jack stands chrome side out. Using fiberglass resin and cloth not matting we carefully covered the whole bumper making a mold about 2 layers thick. After this cured we just popped it off of the old bumper. We had worked carefully to keep out the air bubbles and this made the inside smooth like the old bumper.

Next step we placed our mold on the jack stands again and waxed the inside with car wax. Then we took fiberglass cloth and put that inside of the mold piece. Then we built up the thickness using fiberglass matting. It took a whole gallon of resin and I mixed it up in one big batch. It took two of us one laying down the fiberglass the other handing him the materials because it's a sticky mess. Soaking the matting completely with resin and then laying it on using a little stick to get out the air bubbles, you have to work quickly.

It gets hot as it cures but fear not, if you make a mistake it's easy to just let it cure and then cut it off. Our bumper then cured and after that was done we carefully peeled away the mold layer leaving a near perfect fiberglass bumper. A little filler in a few spots and some trimming and sanding around the edge was all it needed to look great.

It was a scary project but it turned out a lot better than expected. We just tried it for fun to see if it would work and it turned out great I wish I had a picture.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Dave that is exactly the fundamental steps I plan on using to make my 67 bumpers. I am going to fill in the license plate hole and turn signal markers. and make a mold out of glass and then a repro from fiberglass.
with galaxie bumpers as big as they are I bet I'm goingot need two! gallons each..

Also Crites resto emailed me back, they confirmed that they don't make 65-67 gal parts anymore and they don't have the molds anymore either
Bummer

DV
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danev2
Dave that is exactly the fundamental steps I plan on using to make my 67 bumpers. I am going to fill in the license plate hole and turn signal markers. and make a mold out of glass and then a repro from fiberglass.
with galaxie bumpers as big as they are I bet I'm goingot need two! gallons each..

Also Crites resto emailed me back, they confirmed that they don't make 65-67 gal parts anymore and they don't have the molds anymore either
Bummer

DV
No bumpers, or no PARTS??? Man, no parts means I gotta get re-e-e-e-e-al good at fabrication. I wanted a fiberglass hood for my '66.

Guess I better act fast to see if they still have some in stock. If not, I'll find one to cut up, or make my own fiberglass one, because 460's poke out of the engine bay, so room must be made.

The Original "RedneckProfessor"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

NO PARTS....
from the email it sounded like they don't have anything 65 up, just 64 down...

I'll have to find it and copy it over....

D
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
I have used the wax alone on projects a couple times, and it required a little more force to separate the parts than I liked. Using the PVA, it still required a little work, but after soaking in a little water, it softened up enough to release with less work. A gallon of this stuff goes a long way, and it can be sprayed (preferred) or brushed.

TrickflowRick had a hood done for his 69 XL that turned out very nice. Wasn't low buck, but it's light and he has the mold now. Probably couldn't make it myself for what he has invested AND make it look that good. A lot of time and material involved in doing larger projects like this.
https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=10365

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in