mossberg 930 auto and Hi-Point pistols - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

mossberg 930 auto and Hi-Point pistols

Anybody own one? They are priced right and I have read some good reviews on them. It would be my duck hunting gun. I was wondering how easily you can remove and install the plug in the field (not that I would ever do anything illegal like that). I went to a gun store and took the magazine cap off and it looks like there is a keeper in there. I was wondering if you could just remove that keeper and then the plug would would just come out. I am aware of the springs and stuff in there also.

Anybody own a Hi-Point auto pistol? Schmitty got one and he says he likes it. At under $200 the price can't be beat, but I have read some bad reviews on them. This will be utility firearm and will never see a range and will have less than 100 rounds a year put through it.

stephen

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A "Utility" firearm? You mean like one that you plan on using only when your life is threatened?

Wow, that's a GREAT place to save $200.00, man! LOL.......

I have said it here before, but I will say it again. If you are oging to use any weapon for personal defense, make sure it is a GOOD weapon.

I like my Springfield XD9. Grip/Trigger safety, 17 round magazine + one in the chamber = 18 chances to target practice on the bad guy. I have put several thousand rounds through it and the only time I have had any trouble was when I used SUPPER CHEAP ammo.

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM

I agree with Greg, when it comes to "utility" firearms, the last place you want to find out there's a problem is when you have to use it... :shock: :shock:

See, the idea is to make sure the bad guy(s) are the one to leave the premises in the "bag".

Be C 8) 8) L,

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Pettit
A "Utility" firearm? You mean like one that you plan on using only when your life is threatened?
Greg
No, I made a point to call it a utility firearm, not a defense or protection firearm. I will use it for plinking, carrying to the deer stand and out around the farm, shot hogs in the trap with, etc...

The question was does anyone own one, not "should I use it to defend my life". I have noticed that a lot around here. If a question is asked about firearms, the subject always turns to "if my life depended on it" and then the answers always lead to $600, $800, $1,000 guns. I have a ceap 22 LR auto pistol that I have put literally 2000+ rounds through (even using the cheap ammo) and I have never had one jam. I understand your point about "life depending on it" and would not cut corners on a self-defense firearm, but this is not one of those guns.

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My wife bought me a Hi Point 9MM luger for Xmas a few years back. I don't really 'shoot' but took a concealed carry course two years ago and used it on the firing range. I liked it although it was heavy, I am a novice at best but got a pretty good score. A guy with a nice S&W 45 wanted to trade for a couple rounds. He said it was a darn good gun for the money. Have been wanting to get a S&W 38 w/ lazer scope but I don't shoot that much and my 460 comes first.

'64 Galaxie 500 XL 499/C6, '06 Mustang GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Forum Contributor

I would say that the High Point is a quality firearm. The reason for it being affordably priced is the fact that it is a blowback style of action. I personally WOULD trust my life to that gun because of its utter simplicity. I'm up to almost 100 rounds through it with one stovepipe on the second mag. Almost 50+ rounds since, mostly rapid fire no malfunctions. I have seen many reviews of other styles of actions with more mishaps during the break in period. A buddy of mine had a .45ACP High Point that he put a couple thousand rounds through without a single hitch. IMO shoot good ammo and keep the weapon serviced and it will do as good as any. On the Mossberg, my brother has one and loves it. I have shot it and like it. Its not a Browning or Binelli by any means but still a very top notch shotgun.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Pettit
Greg
No, I made a point to call it a utility firearm, not a defense or protection firearm. I will use it for plinking, carrying to the deer stand and out around the farm, shot hogs in the trap with, etc...

The question was does anyone own one, not "should I use it to defend my life". I have noticed that a lot around here. If a question is asked about firearms, the subject always turns to "if my life depended on it" and then the answers always lead to $600, $800, $1,000 guns. I have a ceap 22 LR auto pistol that I have put literally 2000+ rounds through (even using the cheap ammo) and I have never had one jam. I understand your point about "life depending on it" and would not cut corners on a self-defense firearm, but this is not one of those guns.
Well, make that **** clear then, Skippy.

Say you want a "PLINKING" gun and all is well.

A "UTILITY" weapon in most people's minds is a gun that works for a living.

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, make that **** clear then, Skippy.
Sorry for the confusion, but WTF :!:

I'm asking about a gun man, chill out 8)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I personally do not like the "Low points" as you are usually at the low point if you have to buy a cheap cast zinc blowback pistol like the high point or a Raven .25 auto. There are far too many used high quality handguns out there at good prices to buy cheap handguns even for plinking. The heavy cast zinc slide scares me sliding back and forth especially with the higher pressure rounds like 9mm. Zinc, even the firearms grade alloy is too soft for anything other than an occasional shooter.

1967 Mustang coupe, Mustang II front suspension. W/RV camed, D3VE headed, 460/C6 (soon to be 557 CID w/ported police interceptor heads) out of the box BBC headers(with homemade steel adapters)

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM

I have a Highpoint 9MM. It's ok for making lots of noise, shootin at the creek, messin around. Its never jammed on me. NEVER shoot hot shells through it. If my life is on the line however I want something a little more substantial than a $150 gun. Just my opinion.

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM

i had a high point

i had a high point 380 if u where more than 10 feet away and there was two people and i was trying to hit the one the other would be hit i sold the pos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in