Big Ole Altered update with lots of pics! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Big Ole Altered update with lots of pics!

Well, I've been getting some work done & it has been a while since I showed the progress so here are quite a few pictures.

First off, I had the chassis upside down so I could weld a few places that were hard to get right-side up...

Here is the weld on the front axle, I saved these for last... The brackets are still where I put them!

A good look at the tires mounted on the wheels:

The next 3 are of the rear end. This is the Mark Williams aluminum housing with the aluminum through bolt center section:

I got the wheels mounted on the chassis & of course, the rear end is mounted...

I put the body back on & man oh man, do those wheel wells need some fixin! I hate fixing someone else's bad work, but this has to be done!

I started off by making these nifty spacers:

Here is the spacer being inserted on the tire, up into the wheel well:

This is one of the niftiest tools, I love this stripper disk & need to buy more. Not sure where I got it, I've had it a while:

It sure made short work of the clean up!

I cleaned out the BONDO in the rear part... What the hell were they thinking putting this much filler in the body! Bad thing is, I might have to put most of it back, I'm not sure how close I can get the real metal. It is pretty thick here, I just cleaned it a bit to expose the metal. There was a crack where I ground.

I beat his crappy wheel tub mounting points back down & put my wheel spacer in there. I'm going to use some 22 ga metal to fill in the gap to where the wheel tub will mount. Those strips are pieces of 4130 sheet steel (easier to get than regular steel) & the filler is mild steel that I bought at Orchard in a 24x12 sheet.

This is a tool I've owned for quite a while, but never used. I got it at a swap meet for $15. It sure came in handy today!

You can see how I cleco'd in the piece so I can TIG it. cut by hand, use the crimp tool to form a lip, CLECO in place, weld, then repeat!

I'm going to finish weld the spacer to the flat piece from the inside, then trim off the outer part that sticks out. It is just tack welded to the outside lower part. I will also get in there & weld up all of the previous rivet holes & weld the seam where I flanged it. I'm going to hammer the TIG welds flat, then grind if needed & let body filler take care of the rest. This is a race car after all!

Here is how much I got done today. It doesn't look like much, but I had to hand cut all of the sheet stock, then fit it, , flange it, CLECO it, weld it, & hammer it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to show you a picture of the parachute lever I made out of a piece of aluminum I bought at Orchard...

Last, but not least, my wife bought me a new Miller welding helmet to replace the Jackson I've had since just after I first met her... I can say, the new one is WAY ahead of the old one in how it works. It has a larger viewing area & is a whole lot lighter when not active. Isn't it purty? I can't replace the classic sticker on the old one though, it was my last one... Remember when all of the mini truckers used to have this sticker on their bumper? No wonder they changed the design... You guys outside of CA won't understand...

John Strube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lookin good man! What kind of ET's are you lookin for? Chris

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccso640
Lookin good man! What kind of ET's are you lookin for? Chris
The engine in the old chassis ran 9.0 in the midwest... The old chassis wasn't up to tech though, so I started fresh.

I want to either run the 9.60 class or the 8.60 class. I'll run it & see how close I am to either one! Engine has A heads, but is 460 ci. Stock rods, so I'm going to wait to build something fresher after I sort out the car.

John.

John Strube

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 PM
kim

We gots In and Out in Phoenix and Tucson.... we know whats ya mean.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM

I should have spent my money on the car instead of going all out on the motor, oh well only live once. A heads on a 460, curious how that will be, seems like it would want to make alot of rpm? Keep us posted, really cool ride! Chris

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I should have spent my money on the car instead of going all out on the motor, oh well only live once. A heads on a 460, curious how that will be, seems like it would want to make alot of rpm? Keep us posted, really cool ride! Chris
Yeah, I know... It is how I bought it. I need to keep revs down though, I will set it to shift before 7000. It has stock truck rods in it. THe guy had these heads on a 4.5 bore stock stroke engine & ran 8.40's until a rod broke. I'll sort out the chassis, then build an engine with better internals & more bore.

John Strube
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM

Wanna borrow my blown 572? 8)

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wanna borrow my blown 572? 8)
We'd probably dip 6's with that sucker!

John Strube
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 AM

I'm thinking 6's with no problem, go cart with a blown alcohol 572, good times there! Chris

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Very cool John, you are obviously one patient man. The quality of your work looks terrific.

Brock G.

Team GTR
125" Spitzer Bantam
4.84 @140.5
7.68 @ 176.4
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 AM

pic's are worth A thousand word's and look's GREAT I like the tig torch holder I always had that problem were to put your torch and the seam tool I've seen those never seen them used thank again for the pic's
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Looks good John... I just realized looking at these pictures that that is Steve Olsen's old purple altered out of Iowa. I lived in Illinois until about 4 years ago and saw Steve run many times in the midwest. I used to talk to him because he was one of the few running 460's and running pretty good with a lot of stock parts. He turned that up pretty high as I remember. Did you buy it directly from him? Was he building or had he built anything else? When I have asked my Illinois racer friends, no one had seen him for quite a while.

Eddie Trone
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Looking great!! That grinding wheel thing you have is made by Black & Decker and can be bought a Wal-Mart. I love them too and have several new ones. They are perfect for getting the paint and rust off.

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Trone
Looks good John... I just realized looking at these pictures that that is Steve Olsen's old purple altered out of Iowa. I lived in Illinois until about 4 years ago and saw Steve run many times in the midwest. I used to talk to him because he was one of the few running 460's and running pretty good with a lot of stock parts. He turned that up pretty high as I remember. Did you buy it directly from him? Was he building or had he built anything else? When I have asked my Illinois racer friends, no one had seen him for quite a while.

Eddie Trone
Eddie,

I bought the car from Steve a couple of years ago. It had the old chassis in it that you probably saw, the wide one. He was running 9.0 with the 460 I have now. IDT A-460 type heads, stock rods, stock block, C-4.

I got the car back here & the tech guy went nuts on it. Way too much to fix to make it legal here on the west coast... So, I decided to build it ground up, using the body & engine, and not a whole lot else. This chassis will tech way quicker than I will ever go. Stock rods make me leery, those will go in the future. He had built a 4.5" bore stock stroke engine, with way too much compression & stock rods again... One broke, but it went 8.4 in the process. There is a lot of potential in this combo.

Steve sold the car due to having a stroke & not being able to drive any more. Last I talked to him , he had a heart attack & was slowing down a bit. He has a 62ish? Falcon with a hot stroker small block in it that screams. A buddy of his built it & willed it to him when he passed!

I'm changing a few things around. I'm going to run a full grill shell & stock looking hood, with the new wheels shown here. It will look a bit more like a street rod. Should be nice. I want to clean it up & get the body as straight as I can within reason.

John Strube
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM

John,

Thanks a lot for the info on Steve. I'm sorry to hear about his health problems. I always enjoyed bench racing with him and watching that old purple altered fly down the strip. He was always telling me how good stock truck rods were. I am happy that you have the car now and are doing such a good job fixing it up. I eagerly anticipate pictures of the finished project... Thanks again.

Eddie Trone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in