My new dragster - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My new dragster

Hi all... Ive been lurking around this forum for quite some time and posted on a few occassions, whilst building my new slingshot dragster here in the UK. Its finished and we have been out for our first few test runs so i thought id put up a post so you guys can see it, and also thank a few people.

Right - this is the first dragster we have ever built, and as such has been a massive learning curve. Before this we had never built our own chassis, built a large american engine (largest we got is the 215ci alluminium buick based rover v8), narrowed a back axle to name just a few of the jobs we have done to make this car.

The car has been built on a budget by myself and my father, i speced the engine based off a mixture of what was available, builds i have seen on here and advice from local racers. Here is the motor spec:

Stock 460 block bored +60
4.300 crank
6.700 rods
Kb 403 pistons
(these are from a budget ebay stroker kit... i know these things arent the best but for now they are what i have managed to get and im limiting my expectations based off this... i will be keeping the RPM's below 6500 - the kit has been balanced)
Edelbrock Performer RPM CJ heads
Edelbrock Victor manifold (non dominator)
Cam research 245/255, 590/615, 110 Lsa Solid Flat Tappet Cam, bedded in on their machine.
950 Holley Carb
Crane Pro Billet dizzy
Crane HI-6N Ignition box (with rev limiter)
Crane LX92 coil
Stage 1 oil pump from Paul Kane (MANY MANY THANKS)
SFI Flexplate, SFI Damper
Fueling is from a Barry Grant 280 GPH pump

The box is a rebuilt C6 (The guy i brought it off said it has been rebuilt by a local gearbox guy, but im doubting if the guy who rebuilt it did a good job) now fitted with a Tran brake manual reverse pattern valve body.

4600 Stall torque convertor

Ford 9 inch with Moser 33 spline shafts, moser spool, strange carrier and 3.89 pro gears.

Currently fitted are a set of 31 x 15 slicks (if my memory serves me correctly) but we are changing to 33.5 inch tall wider slicks.

I also have a nitrous kit which im limiting to a maximum 125 hp if we need to use it to get into the 8's (eventually).

Im aiming for 8.90's and super comp eventually, but we have a lot to learn on the way.

My first test pass in the car was a mid 13 with no top gear on a very very green track

Over the weekend i ran [email protected] on a very cold but prepped track, with problems in first gear and again no 3rd gear.

First gear feels like your driving with the brakes on, you really have to put some revs on to get the car to move. In 2nd the car moves fine and really pulls hard... Shift to 3rd and it just seems to stay in second, although with the car on stands i can get 3rd gear fine.

Thanks go to Roy Wilding (UK), Webster Race Engineering (UK), Zane LLewelyn (UK), Paul Kane, The Mad Porter, and anyone else who has given me there advice.

Any more advice would be very much welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:02 AM

Just a few thoughts

I would looking into getting a powerglide for your ride. With your power to weight ratio a powerglide is a better fit and is more efficient at transferring power.

As to your problem in first gear; the converter may be wrong for your application. Too much stall or is damaged.

I wouldn't change tire size until you can determine that traction is an issue. Larger tires are just more mass to accelerate.

I am far from from an expert on this issue but this is what I think.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 AM

That is great! Did you design the chassis yourself or copy some plans? I'd vote with the ditch the C6 vote. PG is the way to go for your setup.

John Strube

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sounds like you have a trans issue, was the transbrake installed correctly? was the trans functioning before you installed the brake?

X3 on the Glide

Oh Yea !!! Car looks Great !!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM

Nice rig Hotrodder keep us informed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

I dont think i can really afford to change to a glide this season... this is possibly on the cards for the future though, along with a roller cam.

Changing the trans would mean adapting to fit the bbf, changing the shifter, changing the torque convertor, changing the flex plate shield and modifying the prop yeah?

As far as the transbrake is concerned - we didnt test the trans before changing the valve body. All we did was to remove the old valve body and refit the new one, drilled a small hole in the case for the single wire for the transbrake to come through, and modify the pan as the oil pickup sat lower on the new valve body.

The chassis is based off a set of mark williams plans, but with a few alterations... next time we have the body off ill put up some more pics.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

OK, weve removed, stripped and rebuilt the box putting back in the original valve body... we tried to strip the transbrake one but it seemed like some of the valves are stuck so i guess its probably junk :-( we'll probably have a look again when we have more time, but for next season im gonna look at getting a glide i think...

The box will go back in this weekend, and then were racing next weekend so hopefully it will have done the trick! Cant wait to get out in the car again, boy this past month and a bit has gone sooooo slowly!

Couple of quick questions though...

Can anyone of you experienced 460 ford drag racers give me a guess on what potential time the car could be capable of with and without the nitrous... we approximate the weight to be around 1900lbs.

Also were looking at changing the slicks soon, but we have never fitted a set on beadlock rims... what sort of procedure is involved? Do we need to modify the slicks in anyway to work with the beadlocks?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

If i get it sorted in time im aiming to fit and run my onboard camera too for next weekends meet and ill post some video's up for you guys...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 PM

once you get the drivetrain sorted out, it should run high 8's with ease on motor, and mid 8's on a 125 shot.

You are correct on the tires going to a 33.5", as you will find the 31" will rpm to high once you get it dialed in..........cool ride though 8)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

that is straight up old school --- bad *** ride dude ---definetly an 8 second ride when you get it all panned out !!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in