Drag Race High - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Drag Race High

I watched the show for the first time last night, I liked the whole concept of the show and finally motorsports found a place in High School where kid's can enjoy it as well as the usual activities.

Problem is : Why did they have to put a "time limit" on the challenge? If they would of made this a long term challenge it would have allowed more kid's to get involved. Also the opportunity for the them to do "all" the work themselves rather than having the chassis / motor built by professionals.

That "bull ****" hollywood time line, ruined the opportunity for them kid's to learn full scale of what they were doing. :roll:

" A - Head Groupie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM

You need to watch it from the beginning. They show old episodes in the AM so set your DVR or ???? Recorder to watch them in order.

IMO the Mustang team have done a LOT more hands on work than the Monza team :idea:

Good show and I sure wish they had a program like that when I was in school.

Last night the Mustang ran a 6.34 at 108 and some change through the 1/8. That's bout a 9.95 through the 1/4. Pretty impressive 8) The 434 Windsor made 678 hp at 7800 rpm according to the dyno at BES.

Based on what I've seen, I don't think team Monza will make the race in time :?:

Edit:

Depending on what kind of programming you have; Speed channel has ON DEMAND programming via Insight so I can watch any episode that has previously aired anytime I want. If you programming is the same then you can watch all the episodes in order from first to current :idea:

Notice in the clips at Bowling Green with the NMRA, If you pause, squint and look REALLY hard you may be able to see us at the pit side scoreboard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM

I dont have the speed channel, but watched the show back to back episodes at the inlaws last weekend. Honestly they should have just gave them a car and 10 grand, no 10,000 dollar motor freebies etc. Either the students or instructor drives the car, no hired gun so to speak.

Hell build it like any highschool kid would, not some tube chassis backhalf car or full boogie street blaster. I agree its better for TV like they did it but thats the problem today, too much TV.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM

I think the show is great! I think the show demonstrates that anyone can build a Fox body Mustang. There are so many reasonably priced bolt on suspension, chassis and drivetrain parts you don't have to be a fabricator to build a pretty serious drag car. You can start out with a junk 4cyl car dragged out of a field, and without much actual fabricating end up with a really nice car. I would have liked to see the kids assemble the motor though. BES could have done the machine work, and fitted the parts but it would be better if they let the kids bolt it together. On the show it looked the Fairview kids were putting the SBC shortblock together. As far as having a professional driver, it probably is smart since I'd hate to see the kids dreams ruined because their middle aged inexperinced shop teacher got in over his head in a low 9s car and put it in the wall! I was a little worried when he made a test pass, and it looked like the shift light was on all the way down the 1/8th.They had the guy who is going to drive the Monza over looking at the Mustang, I bet he wished he was driving it instead of the Monza.
Gary
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Many are thinking the Mustang kid's received a lot more hands on then the Monza kid's but I am not sure. :?

The Mustang kid's bolted on some chassis parts and installed a cage. Prepped body for a paint job and done some mural work. Then bolted in a pre assembled dyno'd engine.

The Monza tube frame/cages was fabricated by a professional. The chassis was a bare not a rolling chassis. There is a ton of work and fabrication to be accomplished when a chassis come to you bare. Hanging all the suspension components, fitting tinwork and hanging suspension. And the fact that there assembling there own short block.

If the Monza crew get finished in time , even though the chassis was built for them I would say that they were exposed to more as far as fabricating and fitting. They bolted suspension parts on the same as the Mustang kid's.

Problem is I don't think the Monza has enough time to sort out a chassis'd car over the bolt on/caged Mustang. I think the mustang will have the advantage at the track..they simply did a smarter build IMO

" A - Head Groupie"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 PM

I think the Mustang was a better project for the kids. I view this as a introduction to Hot Rodding / Racing. You can't expect the kids to build something some grown men can't even build. Yes, it was all bolt-on parts but all the kids had a part. Where with the other school, if the kids wanted to have a part of the build they would have to go to another shop after school.

If they wanted to build a Chevy why not a 80's Camero, S10, Luv, Cutlass, or something else! Just not a pile of rust that had to be fix/built by another group of people just so the kids can start bolting on parts.

93 528cu Lightning
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Yea , I am doing a back half for a friend right now in a 74 Nova, I wish he would have picked one in a little better shape. It is so much easier and looks alot nicer when finished

" A - Head Groupie"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
I haven't seen the show, but doing a Mustang with bolt on parts is a good idea that doesn't get the students in over their heads. It allows them to see, just like us, that many so called bolt on parts simply don't fit. It also allows the kids without as much experience to get their hands dirty. Granted, there may be some kids that grew up around cars, but they are a small percentage these days. Just for them to get to have a hand in this is too cool.

As far as the car selection, a lot of schools don't have many good cars donated for use like this. Next time you have a parts car you want to get rid of, before cutting it up and scrapping it because no one wants it- stop in and see the local high school auto teacher with some pictures of the car and offer to bring it in. Be honest with them, don't tell them it is a perfect car and expect them to show up on their Saturday and have to haul it out of the back forty only to find it rusted in half :lol: They don't get paid extra for it, and if they are motivated enough to go pick it up, they deserve to get one that doesn't need everything. They may be interested in building a dirt track car, a derby car, or mud bog rig, or tuff truck for the county fairs and such... not only a drag car, depending on where they are, and what is local to them.

Tom
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Great show. I agree that they should have more time and the Mustang kids are a little closer to reality. Seems that they are doing more hands on work. The cheby team teacher keeps saying "they built a street car and we built a race car" but the kids aren't learning much while waiting for the pros to build the tube chassis and do the body work. Love the show though.

'64 Galaxie 500 XL 499/C6, '06 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in