351C or W in street car build... informed opinions wanted - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

351C or W in street car build... informed opinions wanted

The car: '95 BMW 540i. It's a 4 door midsize sedan with a very strong rear end and pretty solid body. It weighs around 3800lbs

I have:
A fresh 351C bored .030 with stock rods, crank, and the heavy TRW flat top forged pistons. I also have a Torker intake, Comp 292H cam, and lightly ported fresh 4V closed chamber heads (with screw in studs and stainless valves).

A couple 351W blocks in good shape but will need rebuilt. I have some 1.25" CH pistons which I would use to make a 418 or 427 stroker with the W block.

I could:
1) slap the 351C together and have a stout high revving 351 that will probably be a bit lackluster in the lower rpms. This is the cheapest option.

2)Put the 4V heads on the W block, use a shorter rod with the 418 crank, have no quench in order to gain valve clearance, and have a 418 clevor.

3)Put my thoroughly ported E7 heads with 1.94/1.50 valves on the 418/427 stroker short block and save up for some aftermarket aluminum W heads at some point to replace the E7s. I'd go with a Stealth or Performer RPM intake.

The trans is a 4r70w that will get a shift kit and it has a 10" 3000rpm stall converter. The car will be entirely street driven and must have decent manners. It has a 3.91 rear gear.

I'm thinking with the weight of the car and intended usage, the stroker engine will be great fun. The fox body W headers will likely fit with little to no mods in the BMW. I just expect the E7 heads, even though ported quite a bit, to choke the big inch engine above 5000rpm or so. Anyone done a similar build and what sort of results should I expect, other than a complete failure of being able to swap a Ford engine in a BMW?

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 AM

IMHO Don't ruin a BMW!!!!!

Bill Bennett
Street Head Mafia Wanna Be
"Can't Never Could"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 AM

I think I would run the Clevland, You can get pretty good milege out of it with the overdrive and you have lower gears to get you moving. I like Windsors too but if you want to get it going, go with the one that is most complete and ready to go. Alot of people think the 4bbl Clevland suffers on the low end but its not as bad as you would think. I had a 71 cougar m code, 4v Clevland heads, motor was built the same as yours but with a 280 comp cam 3.50 locker and it ran great ! I out ran a 95 z28 and a 78 f150 460 pickup with it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Keep the thoughts coming! I think the 351C will be fine, especially with the stall converter, but I am soooo wanting to use my nice JE 1.25"ch pistons and one 351W block just seems to keep calling for me to make it a bigger small block. The car has a perfectly good 4.0L V8 and 5 speed auto, it just gets 18mpg and has only 285hp. I'd be fine with the 18mpg if I could also have some fun with it. It has a very tight converter (factory, but high stall converters, or any performance BMW parts are insanely expensive) and won't even chirp the tires on smooth city streets. It just sits in my yard and will rot beyond repair if I don't do something with it. I can't sell it because my dad signed the title to himself and then took the title to the bank for a farm loan. I'm still not very happy with him for that. All but one of our vehicles are now owned by the bank and the loans are long term ones that will probably never be paid off. I have a couple Infiniti Q45s that I drive regularly, so I don't have any use for another anemic, small V8, 4 door sedan. The plan was to sell the BMW to fund finishing my '69 mustang project, but that's shot now since the title to my '92 F150, '95 BMW, and '96 explorer are all tied up in one of my dad's farm loans. So I'm planning to move out soon after I finish my Spanish class (gotta get my degree and that one class is all that's holding it up right now) but since I have no way to get my mustang going anytime soon and I don't see the farm going in a good direction, I'm just wanting to get some sort of hot rod fixed up before I ship out. I sold my warmed up '89 camaro 2 summers ago for $3k so that I would have the money to do the mustang. Right after I sold it, dad needed to borrow $2600 of that and it looks like I'm not going to get that back either. So I've got half finished engines (including my fresh 514 that's probably just going to rust away in the garage) and some transmissions and stuff that I don't want to let completely go to waste because of my dad's actions. The BMW is the car that I might be able to afford doing the engine swap and it may end up not working out at all. It don't matter though, it's just going to rot away anyhow so I may as well try. That's my situation and my thinking. Keep the opinions/suggestions coming!

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Change the heads on the Cleveland to the "not very well known" CHI 2V heads, (everyone seems to only know about the high port 3V CHI heads), and use the Edelbrock "Air Gap" intake.

Those heads use either 2v or 4v headers and the high flowing intake ports are production 2V size in the stock location.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in