.45 Super Stud or Dud?? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

.45 Super Stud or Dud??

Thanks to ByronRace I got a link to Ace Custom .45s.

Had some mid-late 1990's Gun mags that praised the .45 Super but haven't heard much since.

Is this cartridge as forgotten as the 10MM,9X23,41Mag???

On paper it looks like a way to have a High Cap(.357-41 Mag), is this true?

No Sushi Zone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I was into .45's back in the 90's and read about the .45 Super. It never caucht on, and I haven't seen anything about it since. I'm looking at the .45 GAP (Glock auto pistol) which is hotter than the .45 ACP and is even shorter in length. I've always thought the 400 CorBon was interesting, it's a 45 ACP necked to .40 caliber. It gives better velocity than 40 S&W and fits in .45 ACP mags without any modification.
Gary
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Kind of like the .357 sig, .40 necked down to a 9mm. I have .357 sig and love it, lot of balls for a sub-compact Glock like mine but still alot of fun.

Here's the ballistics on the GAP .45 and the .45 ACP from www.doubletapammo.com, they load them hot!

Caliber : .45 GAP

Bullet : 200gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1050fps - 490 ft./lbs. - Glock 37
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caliber : .45ACP

Bullet : 200gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1125fps - 562 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Kinda off topic, but my dad always had a .44 mag revolver and I read there's a .50 mag now. The .44 had some kick to it, but it was also a 6" barrel. Is the .50 a huge step up over the .44? Is it to the point that it's not very practical?

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here's the comparison from Double Tap, using the lightest load for the .44 and .50 mag just to give you an idea. Also posted the prices. I think the .44 is an awesome round and if it wont do the job then nothing else will either, just my opinion. Chris

Caliber : .44 Magnum

Bullet : 240gr. Speer Gold Dot Soft Point

Ballistics : 1500fps - 1200 ft./lbs. - 6.5" bbl.

Price: #36.95 box of 50
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caliber : .500 S&W Magnum

Bullet : 350gr. Controlled Expansion JHP

Ballistics : 1975fps - 3032 ft./lbs. - 8.375" bbl

Price: $35.95 box of 20

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Looks like the .50 has quite a bit more "knock down" power. My dad always had his if needed for griz bears as he worked in Yellowstone back country. The .44 certainly is not enough in that situation. I don't know if a .50 would be either, but it looks like it'd be a lot closer.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I am weighing options .45 Super VS 9X25 Dillion both are going to be expensive to get a Glock or Taurus PT-1911/Para-Ordinance pistolsmithed.

2nd both require me to get a reloading setup+supplies.

Anyone out there roll your own ammo???

Anyone out there have data for reloading the .45 Super??

No Sushi Zone
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 PM

I generally stay away from firearm questions on the car sites. I try to keep my firearm questions and replies on the gun sites I belong to. But there seems to be a fair amount of gun interest on this site so I give it a whirl. First every pistol, revolver or long gun has place where it shines and also a place that it's a turd. 511Fox what are you looking to use this round and or pistol "Glock or Taurus PT-1911/Para-Ordinance" for? I've never found a gun or caliber that dominates at more then one type of use. Unfortunately this can become costly in a hurry.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 511Fox
Anyone out there roll your own ammo???

Anyone out there have data for reloading the .45 Super??
Get a master reloading set from RCBS. I am very fond of my Rock Chucker set. There are others too from other manufacturers. Get a good mic and a primer tool like the one from RCBS. Seating the primers in a press is a pain in the butt. Get a good manual or look up "recipes" from reputable sources on the net. I am very fond of the Hornady manuals, they are little spendy but the format is very easy to follow. Last but not least invest in a decent chronograph, so you know what you are producing. That whole list is not as bad price wise as you would think just do some research and find a deal or two. Flea Bay would be another source of stuff.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
Kinda off topic, but my dad always had a .44 mag revolver and I read there's a .50 mag now. The .44 had some kick to it, but it was also a 6" barrel. Is the .50 a huge step up over the .44? Is it to the point that it's not very practical?
I have one of the S&W 500 Magnums, and because it is so big and HEAVY (looks like a cartoon pistol, it so big), the recoil is not too much to handle. I actually made up some 325 grain handloads that shoot so soft, my WIFE will shoot it! On the other hand, the max loads will get your full attention. I bought it just for fun, I mostly shoot it a few times then let anyone who wants to try it out have a go at it. I'm baffled by the folks who won't shoot it for fear that it will hurt them; they just watched ME shoot it didn't they???? Now, my buddies .44 Magnum derringer, THAT'S another story. Where's that box of Band-aids????

Like Beltfed said, what do you want the gun to do? I think your offbeat choices of caliber are cool, and I find a lot of experienced gun owners want something a bit different, it's a great conversation starter at the range.
Contrary to what 511 said in his first post, the .41 and the 10 MM are not forgotten. They both have some (not a lot ) very dedicated followers who should not be teased or dissed, they are VERY vocal!!
The 9X23 IS an oddball, I think that one came from the ranks of USPSA pistol competition, in an effort to get the .35 caliber 9MM round to go fast enough to "make major", which is a reference to how they score targets based in part on a formula that gives higher scores to rounds that have a heavier bullet and/or more speed.
Personally, I like having a few gun questions tossed in with all the car stuff, a little variety is a good thing...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm not a "Gun Gamer" perse. I would like to get involved in Bowling Pin/Steel Target shooting. These are however not a primary objective currently.

.45 Super sounds better than 9X25.

I want the gun for Home Defense/Concealed Carry 1St/play 2nd.

My dream gun is a Glock 21 compensated or a Combat Commander sized
1911 with bushing comp. The capacity a wide body 1911 or Glock High cap mag is impressive,however if I can't stop a threat with 2 rounds of .45 Super to center of mass the other 11 wont be helpfull either.

I would like to see a 165 grain JHP at 1400-1500 fps,a 185 grain SWC at 1300-1400 fps,and finally a 250-255 gr Hardcast lead SWC or Hp at 900-1050 fps.

No Sushi Zone
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Sounds like you know what you want, and .45 Super is no slouch! Handloading will allow you to vary the power levels, and adjust recoil to suit you. Those bowling pins will go down in a hurry! And any burglers you run into......
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 PM

I've played/dabbled in a bunch of shooting sports.
I shot IDPA for about 5 years and lots of guys showed up with "hotrodded" cartridges (super 38, super 45, 9x23)....the tried and true .45 acp was always at the top of the heap. Easy to reload for, cheap, and SIMPLE.
I roll mine in a RCBS 2000 pro...I love it. BUT...I've never had a dillon so I can't compare.

As for carry, I have a titanium 5 shot revolver that is GREAT! Big guns are cool, but if they annoy you...you end up not carrying them. Get a little gun that you LIKE to carry. I'd rather have 5 .38+p's in my pocket than a big .45 loaded up at home in a drawer.

For the big revolvers...I shoot a .454 casuall (which is plenty of recoil!!! I shoot a 260gr xtp at 1810fps from a 7.5" barrel). I'm looking at the new Freedom .500 wyoming express, it's not as mean as the .500 s&w but is in a "normal" size handgun.

My .02...take it for what it's worth.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Hey Shifter, I did the IDPA thing for a bit, what did you shoot and how did you classify?

I certainly agree with your choice of concealed carry gun, I have the S&W Airweight .38+P and it goes with me all the time because it is so small and light. I keep at least one of the Bianchi speed strips in a pocket so i could reload if needed. I have carried a Beretta 92, and my H&K USP .45, but they are tough to conceal....
My pal has the Freedom Arms .454 single action, what a hoot to shoot that bad-boy. I filled plastic gallon jugs with water, then froze them. We shot them with the .454 and the explosion of ice was simply unbelievable. I bought a Ruger .480, and it barely would keep up with the .454, so I sold it and bought the S&W .500.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I've read about IDPA. It seems that IDPA is more tactical than those other orgs.

Do they do IDPA in Ohio??

I was reading an article about .45 ACP revolvers and they mentioned .45 Auto Rim. This cartridge had a 255 gr SWC.

If I could load a 255 gr SWC to 780-825 fps the power factor would be 198.9-209.

No Sushi Zone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in