Rant And Rave ! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rant And Rave !

I've been working on my cougar for what seems like forever, trying to get my 429 and c6 in. I am trying to use a little differant set up this time, its the Gen II crites kit with fpa headers that sitts the motor down and back further then the Gen I kit and it is a BITCH ! I am So sick of fighting with this thing I think I would like to trade everything I have for a good windsor set up ! It sucks Hell I think I would trade right now for a lame mule then shoot the son of a gun just for the satisfaction !! Seems like I have more money in this darn thing than a dog has fleas ! Man...
Should have went with a windsor but 460's are what I have plyed with for the last 16 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

damn.....tell us how you really feel!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I think I may start drinkin or smokin dope or something :evil:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Anyone want to do some trading? !!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Between my brothers and I we have two 66 Fairlanes and one 66 Cyclone.They all have 460's and c 6 with Crites headers,What is the problem?I might be able to offer some advice,all free and it might make you feel better.Jerry
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Well the headers are hitting in a few places on the shock towers, I just have to pull it out a massage the shock towers some.
I feel better now I just had to get away from it for awhile.
I had it running a couple a years ago with the Gen I mounts and headers but didnt like not having a good fan on it so I went to the new style mounts. Its a cool car, I just would like to get it running and enjoy it rather then look at it in the garage.
Thanks guys sometimes a fella just need to vent.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Bummer..

Bummer. I bought the Crites mounts for my 67, but I can't remember if they are 1st or 2nd gen. ops: :lol: I haven't bought headers yet, but I think I'm gonna hack the shock towers. I think this car is about number 3 or 4 on the to-do list. :lol: Good luck with yours.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 PM

I used to get really bent out of shape about **** like that and then my best friend looked at me and said "SMARTER THAN THE PART, SMARTER THAN THE PART" best advice I have received. Thanks Mark. It will work out. good luck. be 8)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM

I've used the Gen II mounts and headers. You DO have to trim the shock tower reinforcement in one place on the passanger side. This is outlined in the headers instructions. Since you are using the FPA header you may not know this. I can tell you the reason for having to trim is the heads sit lower with the Gen II mounts which brings them closer to the shock towers.

I can tell you Crites will only recommends their header and I can tell you the headers they make for this do fit fairly well. I can also tell you if the towers are tweaked in the least, from either a past accident or just the 40 years worth of pounding you may find both shock towers hitting the headers. You may need to work the shock towers some. I'd also recommend in any BB swap to notch the shock towers.

Also, even with the Gen II mounts space to the radiator is still tight. Trimming the core support and mounting the radiator more forward can help.

Anyway, these cars really are not a good fit for a 460 in stock form, but if you are good with a welder, torch, and cutoff wheel can be made a lot better...

By the way used to have a 351w and yes it is a bolt in which is why you see them everywhere. A 460 is a lot cooler and cooler comes with a price!

Steve
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM

I am using the Crites gen II stuff in my '67 Coupe and am just a few hours and some starter switch wiring away from completing it. I too had issues with header clearances (steering, shock tower plates, steering box) and non-header related clearances (trans lines, oil filter etc). Man it's tight as you know but in the end, I have adequate room for everything. I expect NO rattles!
I have tons of pics of everything from the beginning and would certainly share anything that would be of help!
Jeff

Jeff

'67 466 / C6 / 9" Mustang Coupe
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 PM

I've been known to throw **** like dualmass flywheels, brake rotors etc lol. I try to control my temper more now, but man its hard when stuff like this does not cooperate. I thin k I had an episde years back when the wife was helping me put those style headers on my car once, now she never even comes out to the shop lol.

I dunno Shane, lets cut them damn shock towers off.........

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Well after taking the motor back out again working on the shock towers and putting it back in I found that # 8 header tube is against the steering box.. In short I dont think the FPA headers will work with the Gen II kit. I am about a half a hole off on both sides on the mounts I guess I could drill it but its still not right. All is not lost though I have some more mounts to try, and I also have the Gen II headers I just wanted to try the FPA's you can put the engine in with them on so that was kinda cool. The FPA headers I was told were kinda made to fit the Gen I mounts so.. if all else fells I can use them. I have the factory small block perches and I made some mounts to fit them years ago, These mounts use a plate that bolts to the engine, then the motor mounts bolt to the plate. I think I may try these in the morning and see what they fit like I never have used them but I think it will raise the motor some but keep it set back...You never know till you try. I took some pictures and will post but the wife is on the home computer so maybe in the morning.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Jon, thats pretty funny :lol: My wife let me bitch to her about this thing,I think I made up a few new cuse words today, as her eyes got pretty wide :shock:

Oh, and Jeff, I havent forgot about your headers just kinda got tied up,
found a box big enough today will get them out to ya
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well I'll tell ya.. I spent a b-load of money on my engine only to have the cam fracture in three pieces and destroy everything.

This isn't a Sunshine post.. When ya get it figured out and it runs.. Your gonna be the happest person on earth.. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to quit.

If it was easy, "Everybody" would do it. There is a ton of good people on this forum that can help you! Keep going and "Get er Done"

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in