Scrap metal run.....@#%!&*!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Scrap metal [email protected]#%!&*!!!

The bastard copper thieves might be making it harder for regular people to get rid of assorted scrap metal now days, but I think one wrecking yard I usually use to dump scrap steel is just being a dick. I had two scrap piles (a "Woo-hoo" pile & steel pile) to get rid of Friday & Saturday, but I had a problem getting rid of one pile.......surprisingly it's the steel pile.

The "Woo-hooo!" ($$$) scrap pile of assorted aluminum (plate, sheet, cans, etc), and old copper water pipe & brass valves (remodeling parents house) was accepted at one yard without any real hassles other than giving then my drivers license & truck tag numbers.

But for some reason the wrecking yard I have always gone to in the past to scrap steel wouldn't take the load today because it had scrap floor & firewall parts out of a race car being built mixed in with scrap tubing cuts, sheet metal cuts, busted engine parts, (etc, etc).

In the past they would take floor/firewall parts without a title, and outer body skin & frame sections if you had a title. Today they said no car "body" parts PERIOD!! (with or without the title.....WTF?) they said it was the LAW because of the copper thieves (again WTF?). He also refused to take the other non-auto scrap iron just because it was mixed with (and touching???) the auto stuff. An automotive wrecking yard that refuses to take automotive parts??? I'm confused.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a simular problem here with a old F250 cab. I had the title for the truck in my name, the trucks orginal owner (my father inlaw) both with me. When they checked the VIN # on the cab everthing was cool until they noticed a second VIN on the drivers door. I guess they had never heard of used parts on a 33 year old truck :roll: I had to go home take the door off and bring everthing back except the door. All for $100 minus gas, lunch and my time.

Mike G
64 fairlane
572 C head twin turbo coming soon

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

come on over here ill take in anything you bring and pay record high prices right now for it :shock: we are given 170 a ton ton for apliances tin auto bodies anything shreadable is aceptable at that price and its going up in price next week too. ive new to the scrap end of the auto salvage stuff but i just put in a new truck scale and im not turning anything down. if its a complete car or truck it does need a title but parts thats getting a little carried away. or if i can tell you just drug it out of your ditch and you dont have a title sign a bill of sale at right down that its your to sell and has no bank lean on it and watch us crush it lol.
on a side note though the theft of this stuff is rediculas. i had a a guy catch a truck loading up metal folowed them to us had the police there and they arested him on the scale right infront of me. brad
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:10 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Copper robbing has been a problem out here for the farmers.. so sad!

If ya got some local Industry in your area ya can dump the car parts in their dumpsters.. :shock:

Laters!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 AM

I just junked an old LTD last week,and the place I sold it didn't ask,look, or care what was inside it.I pulled on the scales and there was a digital gross weight readout in the window,the lady waved me on after peeking out the window to make sure I had removed the tires. I pulled into the yard unboomed my trailer,the loader/fork truck oper. unloaded w/out even looking inside. (I could have had a dead body in there for all they knew).All that she ask me to see was my drivers license. $220.00 per ton. not bad!

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_stang
If ya got some local Industry in your area ya can dump the car parts in their dumpsters.
No thanks, dumping stuff in some company's dumpster would probably get the cops called on you around here. Plus I want the cash.:lol:

I have a few more places I can try Monday, just sucks that I have to try and find a new scrap iron place after years with no problem at the old place. :roll:

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM

The power company I work for has lost $36,000 to copper theives. Every week we replace nuetral lines on our system. They even steal the pole grounds. Some one is going to get fried playing that close to 14,000 volts. Well at least the court system will let them sue :twisted:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Let me begin by saying I HATE THIEVES ! As a past victim of car theft ( my wife left keys in the console while the car was in front of our house ) I know exactly what it's like to be a victim of thieves. I know that they'll get theirs on judgement day BUT ...

It tickles me to no end everytime I read a story in the paper about some ignorant bastard trying to steal ENERGIZED power lines. They've found several in our area right where they fell and dead as a wedge. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I guess the downside of their high voltage demise is that taxpayers probably pay for their funerals too.

JMHO, Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in