Neighbor problems, big time!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Neighbor problems, big time!!!

So I'm primering my car today and my neighbor has a hissy fit. He is my bosses wifes uncle. He was not very polite when he said he knows my boss and wanted me to know that. Now I'm union so I have no fear of actually loosing my job but is it legal for him to threaten me like that? Can you say slander? Also he was complaining about my compressor which is gas and has a Briggs 5HP engine, same as a lawnmower. Is there any laws against painting my car in my garage? This was at 5:00 PM so it wasn't late at all. He was also complaining about the mess in front of my garage. Here's some pics of the mess. :roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:35 AM

Well, technically yes. It is against the law to do any type of automotive paint work in your garage without an EPA approved paint booth, and proper filtration, yada yada yada... :roll: :roll:

But "most" people don't know these things but if/when they call the cops on you for "annoying" them the cops can raise all kinds of cain if they so desire...

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 AM

Sound like the grinch lives next door, what's up with him, did the Preparation H not work?

Sheesh, sounds a tad techy to me.

A long way from anywhere

'70 429
Isky 270 cam
Roller-rockers etc
Torker & 780 Holley
Headers
Petronics and Mallory ignition.
Shift-kitted C6
2.75 4-spider 9"
All in '55 F100
Top speed: 131mph
Best e.t.: 13.93

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

I just talked to a city cop freind of mine and he said there is no laws or anything around here about painting. He said if it wasn't my car and I was being paid it's a different story. My boss did show up to his house for about 10 minutes though. In the 2 months that I'v lived here he has never came to their house. Coincidence, I think not. If I hear anything at work or he threatens me again, I'll call my lawyer and see about a law suit for slander and harassment.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Unfortunately, if he wants to make trouble he can. When you think you're done with the Police, the Fire department will show up. Then city zoning. Been there done that. It's best to try and smooth things over.

Joe

But it's a dry heat!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Seriously though, I have been nothing but courtious to my neighbors while working on my car. I never use power tools after 6pm. Also, only on weekends. No one else has even looked in my direction. I'll call the local PD tommorrow and ask them about the laws just to make sure. If it was illegal to paint there is no way the local jobber store would have sold it to me. This guy is just being a pain and that's it. If he wants to play I'll have the local Harley and hot rod clubs over for lunch one day. 100 hot rods and bikes might get him going a little. I just want to be left alone on my property. Also, there is no way that compressor is that loud. It was 5 feet from my daughters room and she slept through it the whole 30 minutes it was running.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:40 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Joe is Right! And I agree with him 100% Let the sleeping dogs lay..

Find a shop that you can rent space from.. That's what I do on big projects!

Best of Luck.. & Listen to Joe!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Last tid bit and it's for real.. Wife had 3 Canaries Birds.. I was primering (Poly primer) my Mustang in the winter in the garage.. I had the door open.. Anyways the birds died the next day!

It cost me 4 Love Birds for killing her pets..

Ya stated ya got a child in the house.. Maybe find a different place to do your painting work..

Your Pal!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

I hear you. The garage is detached and a good distance from the house. I pulled the compressor over there because it would be the best place to not disrupt any of the neighbors. Like I said I've always been courtious to them. This guy is as anal as they get. He stares at me anytime I leave my front door. He came over last week whining about my dog barking at about 7pm. Funny thing is my dog hadn't been out for hours and it was the neighbors dog that lives behind us.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM

You can "buy" all the paint you want. But, if the authorities want to get snotty, they can hang you out to dry if you're spraying it with out an approved booth and the proper ventiltaion system... That's why I'm glad I live almost 10 miles out of town, and almost 2 acres separates me from my nearest neighbor... Fortunately, they all told me (but 1) that they love the sound of my truck when I start it up The 1 guy 2 houses down stands out in the front yard everytime I start it and just stares down at my place... But there really isn't anything he can do because1, it has exhaust on it... 2, there's no noise ordinance out here until after 10:00 PM...
I will say, the guy hasn't really complianed any since he walked down to my place on my son's birthday last Aug, and started whining 'cause I started it up for my dad and some others... I wonder if it's because my dad almost turned him into a fence post... :shock: :lol: :lol:

I do know what really fires them up is when you just smile and wave at them everyday like nothing's wrong... This 1 guy here gets all "butt hurt " when I do that to him... :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 1984Boss351
Problems

:evil: I know for a fact that as long as you are working on your own stuff weather it be Auto Body or the mechanical end they can bitch all they want! :roll:

But as long as you are only doing it for your self they really don't have a "bitch" other than they just want to be a PAIN IN THE ***!!! :lol: If you were running a Buisness from your garage you would have a problem!

As Doug said make it more of a good thing on your part and , wave at them every chance you get :P . This really gets them thinking. As for having trouble at work that would just be classified as Harrassment!

Where I live out here I have no covinence on my side of the road and I just smile and go about my buiness 8) I have a couple of these RETARDS out here too and it Pisses them off to no end because they can't get under my skin.:twisted:

So do your thing, and let the Law do the rest!!!

Dan
:twisted:

Ideas are just that! Ideas!
Let "NO-ONE" influence your decissions!
Don't try to be someone your not!
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 AM

I do autobody and paint for a living

my own shop is on my property no paint booth

there is no law stating that you have to have a paint booth

in this state I don't even need to have my waste hualed off

if I produce less then 20 gallons of waste a year I can let it evaporate off and then throw the cake in the trash

if it was me I would put the compressor next to this guys fence as close to his house as possible plus I would use my air hammer to cut apart a few 55 gallon drums right next to his fence bright and early on a saturday morning
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Every town has their own ordinances on what is allowed. I would guess that if your a town of any size at all it is most likley not allowed to paint automotive.commercial type paint in a residential zone. If not, eventually it will get you in problems if someone pushes the issue.

As far as the "noise" as long as your within the hours of the noise ordinance, they is nothing he can really do but be a pain and make constant compaints. In my town even if it is within the allowed time they still send an officer to inform you there was a complaint and try to encourage you to stop.

As far as him using your boss as leverage, that approach is as old as the hills. Maybe it will effect your job maybe it won't I guess that is up to what kind of person your boss is. Chances are , he knows nothing of it.

Neighbors can be asshole.... The last complaint about myself was a "women cop" showed up and said the neighbor was complaining because I was alloweing my "rottweiler" to run loose in my yard and she was afraid of such violent dogs. They were going to give me a ticket for no chain/lesh law.

told here he was in the house and I would get him so they could meet him, the woman said yeah she would like to veiw the character of the dog so I brought him out.

here is a pic of him at he time, I thought the she was going to die laughing when I carried him out. She spent the next half hour playing with him..too funny

" A - Head Groupie"
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Move...

It's time to move. I used to live in town, and I had an old retired guy that couldn't even see my house bothering me. He used to like to walk up and down the alley and bitch about the cars in my back yard. We had inoperable vehicle laws, but the cops said they only come if somebody complains. I had my 66 Galaxie sitting in the yard with valid license plates, insurance, inspection, and city sticker. The motor was on the engine stand, and the cop told me if it doesn't run, I have to cover it up, or haul it away.

Now with the band, :roll: practicing in the garage. The cops said it doesn't matter what time it is, if someone complains, you gotta stop.

Problem solved. I bought 20 wooded acres, and cleared right in the middle of it. I only cleared about 1 acre. Only enough for the trailer and garage and future house site. I also moved to a county where there are at least 5 LOUD race cars within earshot on any given weekend. I have come to the conclusion @ 41 years of age, that if you can SEE your neighbor, it is a BAD neighbor. With my messy and loud hobbies, I'm just trying to stay under the radar.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastertech70
Every town has their own ordinances on what is allowed. I would guess that if your a town of any size at all it is most likley not allowed to paint automotive.commercial type paint in a residential zone. If not, eventually it will get you in problems if someone pushes the issue.

As far as the "noise" as long as your within the hours of the noise ordinance, they is nothing he can really do but be a pain and make constant compaints. In my town even if it is within the allowed time they still send an officer to inform you there was a complaint and try to encourage you to stop.

As far as him using your boss as leverage, that approach is as old as the hills. Maybe it will effect your job maybe it won't I guess that is up to what kind of person your boss is. Chances are , he knows nothing of it.

Neighbors can be asshole.... The last complaint about myself was a "women cop" showed up and said the neighbor was complaining because I was alloweing my "rottweiler" to run loose in my yard and she was afraid of such violent dogs. They were going to give me a ticket for no chain/lesh law.

told here he was in the house and I would get him so they could meet him, the woman said yeah she would like to veiw the character of the dog so I brought him out.

here is a pic of him at he time, I thought the she was going to die laughing when I carried him out. She spent the next half hour playing with him..too funny

I'm not sure, but that dog looks to be a viscious killer... I'm sorry sir, but we're gonna have to put him down... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in