Street racing deaths get drivers prison sentence. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Street racing deaths get drivers prison sentence.

Yet another example of how utterly stupid street racing is. Three dead and two going to prison.

Quote:
Waco man gets prison over 2006 street racing deaths

The Associated Press
WACO, Texas A driver must serve 10 years in prison over an October 2006 street racing crash in Waco that killed two women and one's unborn child.

Jason Cory Maddux, 21, of Waco pleaded guilty Monday to racing resulting in death and to manslaughter.

The victims were in the Maddux car 20-year-olds Amanda Marie Weber of Waco and Julia "Meagon" Campbell Adkins of Riesel, police said. Adkins was about six months pregnant.

Investigators say Maddux was driving a car that went out of control and hit a tree while street racing with his uncle.

Michael Steven Strasser, 45, who was driving a pickup, pleaded guilty in 2007 to racing resulting in death. He must serve 10 years in prison.

Maddux attorney Phil Martinez told the Waco Tribune-Herald that his client has some mental, psychological issues that were taken into consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Yeah, as if the guy doesn't feel bad enough about it already. Punishment is fine to teach someone manners/respect, but prison won't teach common sense and won't right past mistakes. It's crazy that we still call them "correctional facilities". Oh well, way to just make some family's lives harder and create more of a burden on tax payers... :?

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
Yeah, as if the guy doesn't feel bad enough about it already. Punishment is fine to teach someone manners/respect, but prison won't teach common sense and won't right past mistakes. It's crazy that we still call them "correctional facilities". Oh well, way to just make some family's lives harder and create more of a burden on tax payers... :?
So you're saying that it's okay the guy killed three people doing something blatantly illegal (not to mention stupid) just as long as he feels bad about it?

Brad

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM

What ScottJackson meant to say was, "Just get a rope and find a tall ole tree!"

Scott you make sence more and more these days!

93 528cu Lightning
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM

I'm saying that two wrongs don't equal a right in this case. The guys did something stupid and I'm sure they've learned from their mistake. They don't need prison to make them change their ways. If they're dumb enough to not have realized it was something they should never do again, prison isn't going to teach them any better. So prison for them serves no positive purpose.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
I'm saying that two wrongs don't equal a right in this case. The guys did something stupid and I'm sure they've learned from their mistake. They don't need prison to make them change their ways. If they're dumb enough to not have realized it was something they should never do again, prison isn't going to teach them any better. So prison for them serves no positive purpose.
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what your saying is..... "get a rope and find a tall ole tree!"

93 528cu Lightning
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM

I agree with you 100% Scott. It does no one any good to punish. As you mentioned, that's why they are called "correctional facilities". 10 years is not gonna do anyone any good, that's just keeping dangerous people from hurting the rest of society, but if you're gonna go with any long term jail sentences you may as well just do the rope and tree thing, it's cheap and quick. No sense wasting our money paying for 10+ wasted years of someone's life. Punishment only creates resentment and anger, he'll likely be bitter when he gets out. Who knows what trouble that will cause him and others.

So perhaps being realistic would be best. It sounds like these people all knew eachother, so even more so than if it were strangers I'm sure the guy has learned his lesson. The weight alone of playing a role in those two girls deaths is most likely enough for him to have figured it out. Surely there's a more appropriate and constructive way to deal with the unfortunate situation.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Seriously, it's a sad situation when ever this happens.

As for all this talk about punishment, I don't want this thread to get into it.

93 528cu Lightning
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Ah well, at least it will be 10 years or more before he can do it again.

Those not wanting the prison idea - what would your answer be? - let him go 'cos he's sorry?

A long way from anywhere

'70 429
Isky 270 cam
Roller-rockers etc
Torker & 780 Holley
Headers
Petronics and Mallory ignition.
Shift-kitted C6
2.75 4-spider 9"
All in '55 F100
Top speed: 131mph
Best e.t.: 13.93
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Since you asked, yes. Let him go because it seems time doesn't wait around for anyone (innocents or perps) and I don't foresee the two guys doing this again. It won't fix what's been broken. Isn't the idea of punishment to convince someone to not intentionally do something again? If the person needs no convincing, then no punishment is needed. There's a big difference between constructive punishment and vengeance. I know I'm weird because I don't get any pleasure out of getting revenge. I've been told I sould run for Jesus. So I guess if I'm campaigning, vote for me! Maybe I'll get the nomination... or is that "denomination"?

post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sounds to me like they are making and example out of this guy, seeing the latest rash of Street Racing Fatalities. It may not be the best for him, but will it convince someone else not to do it?
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM

With the way our justice system works, neither one of them will serve 10 yrs.
I understand what Scott is saying, but these guys definitely need some kind of punishment, vengeance or not, IMHO.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Let him go?? You guys are nuts. True prison might not rehabilitate him, but letting him go because he supposedly is "sorry" for killing someone is not a true punishment.

The idea of "Punishment" isn't ONLY to persuade someone to not intentionally do something THIS STUPID again, if that was true then you would have to let killers/murders go free because they said they were "sorry" & theoretically wouldn't do it again because the said they were sorry.

Like it or not some part of a punishment for KILLING PEOPLE......DEAD should include some amount of vengeance for the family of the people that were killed. Letting the asshole go free would be a kick in the balls to the surviving family, basicly telling them to "shut up & get over" their loss.

If you started letting all people go free that said they were "sorry" for hurting/killing someone, how many do you think would really feel sorry for what they had done?? After a while not many, it would become a joke how easy it was to get off scott free while the greving family is stuck with the pain of their loss.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I totally agree with this^^.
Maybe instead of a "correctional facility", they should consider it an "*** raping facility"...because that would be justice for the boy and his uncle.

I know what that kind of loss is like. My older brother was killed by a 21 year old kid who was driving wrecklessly. He never even said he was sorry...instead, he was all smiles and giggles in the courtroom and he kept giving our family those dirty, smirkish looks.

He did'nt do any time behind bars whatsoever, and he even skipped out of his community service without repercussion.

You dont think that makes me VERY ****ING BITTER!?!?

Im sorry guys, forgive me...sometimes I lose it. ops:

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Torinostyle2, I hope that guy is in for a lifetime of bad karma, he seems to deserve it richly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in