Hey bass fishermen - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hey bass fishermen

Lookie what I caught! I got off a little early today, so I went fishing. Not bad for a little over an hour worth of fun!

Before (that beer can is a 24 ouncer, not a little 12 oz can -we call them master cylinders( I don't know why?)) The bigger fish were about 19 -20 inches long

After (thats a 1 gallon bag almost full of fresh fish )

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's a darn nice mess of fish there. :lol:

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 PM

You better watch it bruno will be out doing you in that also :lol: :lol:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman
You better watch it bruno will be out doing you in that also :lol: :lol:
maybe with his car, but not in fishing!

I would confidently consider myself 'top fuel' when it comes to fishing :P

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 PM

What did you use for bait? Hand grenades or dynamite :shock: :lol: :lol: Nice fish!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 AM

I used to fish almost every day. There's 40+ ponds on my dad's property and I'm having a hard time getting all of them stocked. All around, my favorite lure for bass is a basic jig (3/8 oz if I had to pick just one size). If I have a lot of water to cover, I use a spinner bait. I of course use top-waters and crankbaits too and also soft plastics (mostly texas rigged), but not nearly as much as the bass jig and spinner. I did a little fly fishing for them, but using a popper fly on a pond just isn't the same as fly fishing on a river out west for trout. Anyway, good catch. They look a little on the thin side, so it probably isn't bad to cull some of them out of wherever you caught them. Then again, bass are often pretty thin in early spring, at least up here where we have winter.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I caught them all on fluke (watermelon color). Grew up casting 75% spinner bait. Now I throw about 50% fluke and 50% all others including buzzbait, lucky 13, floating stick baits, spinner, cranks and frogs. That fluke worm is the best lure I have ever fished. I can catch bass any time of the year in almost any condition. Let me put it this way... If I can't get a bite on that fluke, I'm pretty confident that no other lures will work either. I just cast, let it sink (no weight attached, just lure and hook) and sit for about 10-15 seconds and watch the line for a twitch. If nothing, then I bump it a little and again wait for 10 seconds. If still nothing, I reel as slow as possible and drag it along the bottom. wait for a slight bump, drop the rod and wait about a second and set the hook. Works every time.

Your right about the bass being a little skinny, but it is that time of year and the mommas are spawning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
I used to fish almost every day. There's 40+ ponds on my dad's property and I'm having a hard time getting all of them stocked.
40+ ponds, or as we call them "tanks" is awesome. Thats sounds like paradise! I have about 10-12 between me and my neighbors. My neighbor has about a 5.5 acre tank and he stocks it very well. 4 years ago he caught a 10 pound 9 ounce bass in there! My definition is if the water body is naturally occurring, then it is called a pond and if it is man-made, then it is a tank. A lot of people never heard of this terminology (damn Yankees )

What do you call a "basic jig?"

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:36 AM

Skosler,
My dad owns a BIG Bass fishing/tournament store.

www.wackyworm.com

About 1/2 way down the main page to the right is a link to "The Wacko". Seriously it is one of the fish catchingest worms that exists..and I've been bass fishing most of my life (I'm 36).
Do yourself a favor, call the number....ask specifically to speak to Lou. (call on a Friday evening or Saturday...)
Tell Lou (my father) you talked to his son (I'm the only one) online and he should send you a few free samples of the Wacko.....just let him know what size worms you usually use and colors you like. He'll do it.....

You WILL thank me later, and you will BUY more. If it doesn't work...at least it didn't cost you anything right?

Have fun!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM

Flukes

Gotta love them Flukes. Mine used to be Slugos but the action of the fluke is awsome. I have not tried fishing them that slow before, I will give it a try.

Thanks for the Info
Kerry

Kerry Clark
1968 Coupe Mustang, 466, 2388 lbs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler
I caught them all on fluke (watermelon color). Grew up casting 75% spinner bait. Now I throw about 50% fluke and 50% all others including buzzbait, lucky 13, floating stick baits, spinner, cranks and frogs. That fluke worm is the best lure I have ever fished. I can catch bass any time of the year in almost any condition. Let me put it this way... If I can't get a bite on that fluke, I'm pretty confident that no other lures will work either. I just cast, let it sink (no weight attached, just lure and hook) and sit for about 10-15 seconds and watch the line for a twitch. If nothing, then I bump it a little and again wait for 10 seconds. If still nothing, I reel as slow as possible and drag it along the bottom. wait for a slight bump, drop the rod and wait about a second and set the hook. Works every time.

Your right about the bass being a little skinny, but it is that time of year and the mommas are spawning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
I used to fish almost every day. There's 40+ ponds on my dad's property and I'm having a hard time getting all of them stocked.
40+ ponds, or as we call them "tanks" is awesome. Thats sounds like paradise! I have about 10-12 between me and my neighbors. My neighbor has about a 5.5 acre tank and he stocks it very well. 4 years ago he caught a 10 pound 9 ounce bass in there! My definition is if the water body is naturally occurring, then it is called a pond and if it is man-made, then it is a tank. A lot of people never heard of this terminology (damn Yankees )

What do you call a "basic jig?"
Is there much difference between using the Fluke and a regular soft plastic worm? I'm sure with no weight, you've gotta keep the retrieve very slow. Sticking a nail weight in there might allow you to speed up the retrieve while keeping it on the bottom. I haven't heard them called tanks, but yeah, they're all man-made. We've got 2 ponds that are right at 7-8 acres, a few around 3-4 acres, and a whole bunch 1.5-2. I just meant a no-frills bass jig. I don't get them with all the rattles and googly eyes and stuff. Just a regular bullet-head 3/8oz bass jig. Sometimes I'll spice it up with a soft plastic craw or twist tail trailer. I slow drag them in cold water, and go to more agressive hops and slides in warmer water. So they've already spawned down there? I guess that makes sense since spring takes longer to get here.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter
Skosler,
My dad owns a BIG Bass fishing/tournament store.

www.wackyworm.com

About 1/2 way down the main page to the right is a link to "The Wacko". Seriously it is one of the fish catchingest worms that exists..and I've been bass fishing most of my life (I'm 36).
Do yourself a favor, call the number....ask specifically to speak to Lou. (call on a Friday evening or Saturday...)
Tell Lou (my father) you talked to his son (I'm the only one) online and he should send you a few free samples of the Wacko.....just let him know what size worms you usually use and colors you like. He'll do it.....

You WILL thank me later, and you will BUY more. If it doesn't work...at least it didn't cost you anything right?

Have fun!!!
will do, thanks. Are you talking about hooking them in the middle of the body 'wacky style'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrclark
Gotta love them Flukes. Mine used to be Slugos but the action of the fluke is awsome. I have not tried fishing them that slow before, I will give it a try.

Thanks for the Info
Kerry
Yeah, I did the slug-o thing a few years ago and did worked well also. I kinda just let it glide through the water and twitched it every so often.

Scott, I only use a weight when its windy or I'm fishing is a strong current. The idea is to just let it slowly glide. Have you ever seen perch just floating along by rocks or he bottom in clear water? Thats the idea. The reason I go so slow is because a lot of times a quick movement will spook the fish. I have seen a bass in shallow water follow that lure as it glides along the bottom for 10 or more feet and then he can't take it any longer and bam. A lot of times a bass will strike just out of instinct (think about a buzzbait, have you ever seen something like that swimming around?), but this is a little different. You have to wait a good second or two before you set the hook. If you ever noticed a bass eat something off the bottom, they initially strike at it and just pick it up, and then kinda spit it out (not all the way) and re-swallow. your looking for that second swallow to set the hook. The guy who turned me on to this lure told me this way: "If you think you are reeling it in too slow... slow down a little more!" Its also a targeting lure- you cast it as close to or into cover like stumps, grass lines, drop offs, etc. I think that is more fun than just casting into open water and reeling.

that cavity halfway down the body is hollow, so its weedless, but a little easier on the hook set.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Man Scott, how much land do y'all have? I was right that is paradise!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:12 PM

only 960 acres, so ponds aren't too far to go from one to the other. Our water isn't all that clear up here. Some of the ponds are decently clear since we have "filter" ponds above them. The bass here don't spook too easily. I know how it is when they're spawning, you gotta get them to strike the lure out of aggression instead of hunger. So dropping a soft plastic right on a bed and leaving it there to annoy the fish is the way to go. However, I don't fish during the spawn anymore since I'd rather that nest stay protected until the eggs hatch. The bluegills are eager.

I've caught a few big ones around here. I weighed one that was 9lbs 2oz (that's big for Iowa) and have caught a couple that were bigger. My biggest was one I measured at just over 28" and was very fat. It may have been a state record, but I don't know. I do almost all catch and release. Sometimes I'll keep a few catfish or walleye for eating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in