Ebay's response to misleading product descriptions - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ebay's response to misleading product descriptions

I recently emailed Ebay concerning the +12,000 listings for "performance chips and programmers", this is the response and then my rebuttal.

Quote:
On 4/13/08, eBay Customer Support <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Eric,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your report about multiple
listings for vehicle performance chips that include misleading
information.

I understand your concern in this situation. Because eBay only houses
the auctions, instead of running the auctions, eBay is not involved in
the actual transaction between Buyers and Sellers. As a result, we have
no control over the quality, safety or legality of the items advertised
the truth or accuracy of the listings.

If you are interested in bidding on an item, we encourage you to email
the seller for additional information. Before bidding, be sure to ask
the seller specific questions regarding age, authenticity, and condition
of the item. In the unlikely event that the seller doesn't respond, you
might reconsider bidding on the item.

Also, if you're particularly knowledgeable about a specific item, we
recommend that you contact the seller. Sellers are usually grateful for
any information that their bidders can provide, as they may have been
misinformed about the item when they acquired it.

If something does go wrong with your eBay purchase, you'll be protected
by our buyer protection programs. For example, if you don't receive your
item after you make a payment, you may be able to file an Item Not
Received or Significantly Not as Described dispute.

For more information about eBay buyer protection programs, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-b...ion-steps.html

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Cleo
eBay Motors Customer Support

Quote:
Dear Cleo,

How could it not be of concern to Ebay Motors that likely 1000's of people are viewing the 12,000+ listings for "chips or programmers" which are simply bogus scams? These listings are not simply misleading, their a blatant lie.

I suppose I had the wrong impression about Ebay and what they stand for. Yes, there are a lot of good honest people, unfortunately they are the ones buying misrepresented items. There seems to be an ever increasing number of dishonest people who are looking for the next little scam and your response to my email is music to their ears.

By the way, the feedback system is STILL terribly tainted and strongly favors the seller. ALL the sellers in which I have dealt with, will only leave FB after me (the buyer). I have even asked sellers for FB and they will quite simply respond, "I will leave FB after you". The "hostage FB" has buyer's scared to leave anything but +FB, whether its appropriate or not. The seller should only be able to indicate whether or not the item was paid for, a "yes or no" basically. If the item wasn't paid for, the seller would not have shipped it, so their FB is almost unnecessary in the first place. What about the seller's protection you might ask? If the payment isn't made in xx days, big deal, a system is already in place for the "non-paying bidder", so the seller is protected. Not only that, the seller hasn't lost anything anyway, other than the time it took them to list the item and then relist it.

Please consider these things and thank you for your time.

Eric

1990 F250 EC, 460, E40D, 3.55s, 3.5" straight pipe after cat: 220 rwhp, 360 rwtq; W/ a little 50shot:264rwhp, 415rwtq; best 1/4 [email protected] w/2.2 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Ebay's response to my rebuttal:

Quote:
Dear Eric,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to problems with the feedback
system, and sellers of mod chips.

We're in the process of making a few significant changes to eBay's
Feedback system to continue to improve accuracy and accountability.
Please see the page below for details:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html

Once those are completely in place, especially the one in which sellers
can no longer leave negative or neutral feedback (May), problems with
mod chip sellers may become more evident.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Darell
eBay Motors Customer Support

I am glad to hear that the feedback system is being revised.

1990 F250 EC, 460, E40D, 3.55s, 3.5" straight pipe after cat: 220 rwhp, 360 rwtq; W/ a little 50shot:264rwhp, 415rwtq; best 1/4 [email protected] w/2.2 60ft
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
As a seller with over 1100 feedbacks, I am VERY hesitant to use ebay when the new feedback system rolls around in May. Which is too bad, it supplements my 'car funds'.

You have no idea how quick to jump the gun some buyers are to leave negative feedback/neutral feedback. If something is broken, don't just leave a negative feedback, contact the seller first. The minute a buyer leaves a negative feedback without first contacting me with an issue about an item they received, I consider the deal finished. My favorite gripe from people is about my shipping and contact info.. I clearly state in my auctions "You may not hear from me for several days, and I try to ship immediately". Pestering emails do not help the buyer's case.

Wander the ebay discussion boards and you'll find my thoughts are not the minority.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I have purchased lots of things but sold very few as the risk of negative feedback is not worth the price I think.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Just because you can file a non paying bidder does not mean a seller is protected. A seller can miss out on real potential buyers because they were bid against by deadbeats, and proceded to buy elsewhere, while you have to wait for the nonpaying bidder time period before you can relist. May not be a big deal to you on a 3 dollar item, but if it is a big dollar item, it sucks to miss the real buyer over 1 bid.

There comes a time when one has to use common sense when buying an item. Everyone that has taken the time and has the knowledge to sign up for ebay should have the common sense to shop wisely. There are pros and cons to any purchase, and one has to chose carefully.

Honestly, ebay is a business, and as much as we would like it to be perfect, it is not. There is no way they can realistically police every listing in a timely manner. They have to limit their work somewhere, and they probably start limiting it to purchases with complaints. Unless you bought 1 of these 12000+ items, and have not received it, or are somehow an unsatisfied paying customer... it does not appear to me that you should expect a better response. It very well could have taken time away from a complaint that someone else had about an item they paid for and did not receive.

Tom
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

HMM? I thought I would be praised for my efforts??

Anyway, Thank you for your replies, it is always good to get both sides of the story.

Mudbogtom: I realize that by my not being in the middle of a item dispute, I was not as justified to make my complaint. On the other hand, I would like to follow the Golden Rule and "Do unto others ..." This being said, if I ran Ebay, I would want to know about completely bogus stuff being pawned off on my website. (i.e. a "chip" which is nothing more than a resistor, claiming to improve MPG and give 100HP) When someone takes the bait on this crap, is that going to increase or decrease their confidence in Ebay? IMHO, its just bad business and I was trying to be a good samaritan, hope no offense has been made.

The seller issue: Yes, it would be very aggravating to loose a sale and I understand that, but in my mind, the buyer is still the one who is most at risk, by loosing money on a bad sale.

psquare75: I see your point, it would make me furious if someone left (-) FB without giving me the chance to make the problem right. I still stand my ground that as a seller, I should leave +FB (and I do) immediately following a timely payment, because the buyer has done what they said they would do, given funds for an item. The buyer is the one that took the risk, the least they deserve is credit for a timely payment.

In my experience as a buyer, I have only left 1 neutral and 1 (-)FB. Both senerios, the seller was politely contacted about the problem and given a chance to remedy to problem. I of course got the retalitory (-)FB. I have since had good buying experiences and would gladly leaveft the seller +FB, but the sellers I have dealt with 100% of the time, will not leave FB until I do!? Which chaps me.

In response to the opinions expressed on Ebay forums, I would assume that the majority of the forum members are sellers.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM

It has been my experience that eBay solves problems by giving you the run-around until you finally give up.Since there is no real competition to them, they don't have to offer any customer service as they know you can't go elsewhere.
I equally buy and sell on eBay, a long time ago I decided that I would give feedback as soon as I received an item or when I ship an item.I haven't received a negative yet and I have resolved problems after I have left the other party feedback.I always figured if I described an item fairly and shipped quickly and charged realistic shipping rates then I wouldn't have to worry about negatives and it seems to have worked.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Never even listed any items on ebay, and have bought plenty. Had my share of second chance offers because of deadbeat bidders, and have passed on each of them... for the reasons stated. If there is something I am seriously looking to buy, once I am outbid on the price I am willing to pay for the item, I move on to the next available one. The seller looses out there, as I never look to buy something that is 1 of a kind.

I understand the seller not leaving feedback until it is left for them, although I think some of that is changing soon, and I don't think it will really affect me a lot. Too many buyers seem to want a $1 item (which has a description that mentions it is damaged) won on Sunday morning and have it shipped out on Sunday afternoon from California and receive it Monday morning before they go to work... and have it show up in NOS condition, or they leave a negative feedback at lunchtime Monday. :lol: In my mind, if you receive an item you bought, and are happy-leave the feedback that lets the seller know all is good, and you are happy. If you aren't happy, send an email to let them know, be polite about it, and you will have a much better chance of getting satisfaction, prior to leaving a negative feedback. If they take care of an issue, I see no need to leave a negative feedback. That is just me... might not work for you.

I am sure that you could send your resume to eBay and see if they are willing to hire you to run their whole show. I promise not to send annoying complaints about items I don't have any intentions to buy. If you don't get hired right away, please post the new auction site you start as we all would like to have another option besides eBay. For now, it is the best I have found, and it works for me, even though it is not perfect.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in